kodachromeproject.com Forums

kodachromeproject.com Forums (http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kodachrome, Scanning and Output (http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My kodachrome vs. Velvia scanning verdict (http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577)

Hellashot 04-20-2010 09:11 PM

My kodachrome vs. Velvia scanning verdict

I've just scanned a bunch of both Velvia 50 and Kodachrome 64 slide exposures. All were shot last year, cared for and stored in the same manner. My verdict is that Kodachrome really attracts dust, much more than Velvia. My Kodachrome scans are just riddled with dust, very dirty. Velvia is pretty darn clean as far as attracting dust!

Now I'm kind of glad I wasn't able to buy more rolls of Kodachrome, or I'd have much more of a headache with extra dust to clone and heal out!

Oh, and I've also noticed that Velvia 50 is noticeably sharper than Kodachrome 64.

kodakrome 04-20-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellashot (Post 5419)
I've just scanned a bunch of both Velvia 50 and Kodachrome 64 slide exposures. All were shot last year, cared for and stored in the same manner. My verdict is that Kodachrome really attracts dust, much more than Velvia. My Kodachrome scans are just riddled with dust, very dirty. Velvia is pretty darn clean as far as attracting dust!

Now I'm kind of glad I wasn't able to buy more rolls of Kodachrome, or I'd have much more of a headache with extra dust to clone and heal out!

Oh, and I've also noticed that Velvia 50 is noticeably sharper than Kodachrome 64.

Shot about 200 rolls of Kodachrome in the past 6 months. My verdict? Velvia sucks next to Kodachrome. The colors are just awful.
Dust? What dust? 2 strokes with a brush just before scanning (a routine I do with all slides regardless of the brand) and I noticed that Kodachrome has exactly the same amount of dust as Velvia: None.

kevinkar 04-21-2010 11:50 AM

I've got over 2000 slides and some are dusty and some are not. I think it has a lot to do with humidity and when/where they were stored.

If it was a dry day and there was a particular amount of dust in the air, the slides probably picked up more dust than normal. If it was a more humid day and not quite so much dust, well, those will be cleaner.

So I can definitely see one set of slides being more dusty than the other. Not sure you can generalize it as an absolute though so Hellashot, I'd suggest you clean them up and store them as normal and see how they turn out in a couple of weeks or months. If they are again more dusty that the Velvia, you may have a static electricity issue in your work and storage areas.

Do you have one of those antiquated static guns for LPs? I wonder if that might zap the slide enough to get the dust to drop off.....

jcbenner 04-23-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kodakrome (Post 5420)
Shot about 200 rolls of Kodachrome in the past 6 months. My verdict? Velvia sucks next to Kodachrome. The colors are just awful.

Yea, no kidding, the colors of Velvia are putrid. If absolute sharpness is a must, go digital.

Hellashot 04-24-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kodakrome (Post 5420)

Just sharing my experience. And like I said both my Velvia and kodachrome were shot last year, cared for and stored in the exact same manner. And Velvia has more resolution. And as far as colors? Tune the WB/tint and color HSL to taste with Lightroom for either type of slide film after scanning.

Also the cardboard mount Dwyanes' uses leads to lost resolution due to frayed edges along with the ridiculous curved "corners" that cause me to heal & clone to make a respectable corners of scans. I requested plastic mounts but never got them. The plastic mounts don't have frayed edges and have square corners.

marcus 04-24-2010 07:37 PM

Velvia v K64

Kodachrome may be a "better" film, but I do respect Velvia in that it's in a small group of films that, like Kodachrome 64 and 200, are uniquely distinct from any other film. They set the bar in one direction or another.

Kodachrome 25 or 64
Kodachrome 200
Velvia 50
Astia

Off the top of my head, these films set their respective bars.

(not to mention: APX 25 (Panatiomic-X!), Tri-x, TMZ/P3200, Forte 400, and Acros! But-I-digress.)

kevinkar 04-26-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellashot (Post 5430)
Also the cardboard mount Dwyanes' uses

I wonder if that's the source for all the dust? With all those frayed edges, perhaps it's just flaking off and attaching to the film? Possibly a time to go to a camera store and buy the plastic mounts you want and just transfer them to non-frayed shedding mounts?

Hellashot 04-27-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkar (Post 5447)
I wonder if that's the source for all the dust?

It's not that kodachrome is extremely dusty, it's just that Velvia is just so very clean. And when I heal out dust, I do it at the 170% zoom level using Photoshop Elements.

matt8314 07-22-2010 04:15 PM

I've done some comparisons between Velvia and Kodachrome myself. As far as sharpness, it seems like Velvia generally a little better than K64, but about the same as K25. The same goes for graininess. However, if you shoot Velvia, there are those poopoo-caca colors. I would personally take a little less sharpness in exchange for MUCH better colors. Especially since the difference in sharpness is not noticeable when viewing the slides by analog means (ie slide projector or light table). Besides, if a top-quality digital file is what I want, my 5D can do a better job than ANY scanned 35mm film. Anyway, speaking of scanned film, probably the sharpest scans I have even been able to get were from Kodachrome II.

One more thing. Which film do you think is going to look better in 30-50 years? Let's just say that the reports are already starting to come out about fading with 20 year old Velvia.

dmr 07-27-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellashot (Post 5419)
I've just scanned a bunch of both Velvia 50 and Kodachrome 64 slide exposures. All were shot last year, cared for and stored in the same manner. My verdict is that Kodachrome really attracts dust, much more than Velvia.

Question: Did you use ICE or equivalent when scanning?

"They" tell me (the ubiquitous "they") that ICE is ineffective with Kodachrome due to the infrared opacity of the processed Kodachrome stock.

Quote:

My Kodachrome scans are just riddled with dust, very dirty. Velvia is pretty darn clean as far as attracting dust!
I really believe that it depends far more on the care in processing, packaging, storage, etc., than the film itself, in regards to the amount of dust.

In comparing the two films, however, they are totally different animals! Velvia can easily sucker-punch you with hues reminiscent of an explosion in a paint factory. Kodachrome shows you the colors more like they are in real life.

This is, of course, my not so humble opinion. Photographers will have to agree to disagree on whether Kodachrome or Velvia gives more accurate colors. :)