View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 AM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewKirkby View Post
I find Velvia scans easily even in an average scanner. Kodachrome i have trouble scanning with i think due to the nature of the dyes and thickness of the film.
The problem is not the film or the scanner, but the calibration. Simply put, by the time scanners came into vogue, very little Kodachrome was being shot. So scanner manufacturers calibrated their scanner software for E6 films. And, for whatever reason (possibly because they figure few people would scan Kodachrome), even if the software DOES have a Kodachrome setting, it just doesn't seem to work all that well. More expensive versions of Silverfast seem to have better color correction. But this is certainly not a cheap option.

With all this said, it might seem like Kodachrome is a poor way to go. But I say that, if you want high-quality digital files, DIGITAL is a better way to go than ANY kind of film. Unless we are talking about at least medium format, scanned film just can't hold a candle to a file produced by a good DSLR. ESPECIALLY in the area of sharpness and grain.

The way I see it, film is something to shoot for the analog experience. And this includes viewing by analog means, such as a projector and/or light table. Viewed in this way, slides are simply unsurpassed by ANYTHING out there. But if you are looking for digital output, a DSLR will ALWAYS be a better way to go than scanning - at least if we are talking about 35mm.