kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Lab Tips & Quality Control

Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Im only hoping he has been working on the project behind the scenes, perhaps he is going to surprise us and come out of the woodwork?
Either way, if he still has the thing, it should be put to better use.
I think its better if we can find another functional k-lab machine before its too late, its a start anyway.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
Im only hoping he has been working on the project behind the scenes, perhaps he is going to surprise us and come out of the woodwork?
I think its better if we can find another functional k-lab machine before its too late, its a start anyway.
IIRC, the one which he showed on the photos looked in rather poor shape, having been standing outside at a scrapyard? Apart from the question of parts and spares, there would also be the issue of whether the computer control and software was usable?

I don't think that there was ever any K-lab operational here in the UK, other than anything which Kodak themselves might have had. Their final UK set-up (the "Professional Service" at Wimbledon?) also did 120 size, so presumably this was not a K-lab. After this closed, all UK films were sent to Kodak in Switzerland, which, from pictures, also looked to be a much bigger operation. In the final period, all European films were couriered from Switzerland to-and-from Dwaynes.

I don't think independent processing of Kodachrome ever took off in Europe, certainly not in the UK where all films were sold "process paid" with a mailer to go back to Kodak. So the only very long shot would be if a large company or organisation had its own K-lab for private use. And hadn't scrapped it long ago! TBH, it seems very unlikely.

The only other UK lead is the rather mysterious reference above by "processC-22"........

It seems more likely that the US could have had more users of the K-lab?

Last edited by RichardE; 02-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM

That is quite possible.
It really is quite surprising that the K-lab system did not take off, as pretty much any photolab could have been able to fit such a lab in their premises and is obviously fairly easy to run, compared to a full scale k-14 machine.

on processC-22,s website, it appears they are able to process in B&W and are working on a way to process in colour.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Like many others here, I am somewhat disheartened that Kittlegraphy has not responded to the multiple entreaties sent his way. Perhaps he is busy at work refurbishing this machine, perhaps he has given up in frustration or for want of resources. I would simply like to know the status at present, so that any possible effort to get a K-lab operational can proceed. Time is, as you suggest, of the essence. If the "Kittlegraphy K-lab" is a no-go, then an effort must be started to find a replacement machine. As RichardE has noted, the search should probably be state-side; if this is the course to be taken, a place to start would be with the list of the former K-labs I posted on an earlier post.

As I also noted on an earlier posting, efforts are under way to find the means to hand-process Kodachrome. This avenue, however, will no doubt prove to be, as PE has suggested, expensive and time-consuming. Moreover, I think consistency will be a big issue. It would be far better, in my view, to ramp up the K-lab effort, whether that means nagging Kittlegraphy to death, offering to buy him outright, organizing a subscription effort to underwrite this (i.e. Kittlegraphy's effort, if it is still ongoing) project, or begin the hunt for an alternative machine. Kittlegraphy, if you are checking in, how about a response!?!?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Unfortunatley, Killtegraphy has not logged on since 8-9-2011
I wonder what has happened, ive sent him another message, thats about all we can do.
If a machine can be found, i think its worth pooling funds together and finding a chemical company in china who can produce the dye couplers.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 AM

mrb7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wonder what has happened, ive sent him another message, thats about all we can do.
If a machine can be found, i think its worth pooling funds together and finding a chemical company in china who can produce the dye couplers.
The problem of finding another machine would be software for it. Even if you could find one that hasn't been cannibalized the likelihood that the software is intact in an intact computer is pretty low. That's pretty old stuff.

Exploring the concept of hand processing, with the couplers from said company in China, is more likely.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know his real name/location or email, so that a direct approach might be made? I could understand the project not proving possible, but it is really odd that he will not report back...almost as if he has "thrown his toys out" with frustration.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Does anyone know his real name/location or email, so that a direct approach might be made? I could understand the project not proving possible, but it is really odd that he will not report back...almost as if he has "thrown his toys out" with frustration.
"Kittlegraphy" was the nom de guerre given, with Albuquerque as his/her location. Unless Dan is willing to release an email address, the only means with which to contact Kittlegraphy is via pm through this site.

Like you and many others I am anxious to get this project moving. I feel quite confident that the "hand-processed brigade" will be successful in their efforts. My concern, as I indicated in an earlier post on this thread, is the issue of consistency - hence my preference for the K-lab resurrection. I will drop Dan a pm on the weekend to plead our case. If he gives the go ahead, I will email Kittlegraphy and see if I cannot get some sort of indication as to his/her current situation and future plans of the K-lab. Failing this, I think a search for a replacement machine should commence, beginning by contacting former K-lab operations.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM

KevK is on a distinguished road

I wonder if Rocky Mountain Film is only missing the chemicals but still has a functional k-lab...

http://rockymountainfilm.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I wonder if Rocky Mountain Film is only missing the chemicals but still has a functional k-lab...

http://rockymountainfilm.com/
Can't be specific, but I'm fairly sure that their's had been sold?? (Not sure what the current position of that company is anyway....definitely Google "Rocky Mountain Film Lab complaints" before thinking of submitting old film of any kind to them. )

Last edited by RichardE; 02-19-2012 at 03:43 AM.