kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
We would be so much sorted if we had that k-lab operational.
Where is klittlegraphy?
What is the fate of the k-lab?
Where can we find another one?
By the sounds of things, this guy has had relative access to the chemicals needed, what we need to know is how reliable they can be obtained and how different the formula is to that of k-14.
Get someone with the know how to mix them the way this person has, and an operational k-lab, and it wouldnt be too difficult to do a run of film through it.
Fingers crossed, can someone direct steve to my wiki?
Im not a member of APUG yet.
The encouraging thing about recent developments here, NZ, is the amount of brainstorming that has resulted. Not only do we have a number of APUGers interested in looking to repeat the development efforts, thus validating the "K15" process itself, we also have several individuals interested in the "mechanical" issues at hand (i.e. the machinery that could potentially be used to scale up the effort). The net result may well make the search for a Klab redundant. I, along with many others, anxiously await the efforts...
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
The encouraging thing about recent developments here, NZ, is the amount of brainstorming that has resulted. Not only do we have a number of APUGers interested in looking to repeat the development efforts, thus validating the "K15" process itself, we also have several individuals interested in the "mechanical" issues at hand (i.e. the machinery that could potentially be used to scale up the effort). The net result may well make the search for a Klab redundant. I, along with many others, anxiously await the efforts...
Yes it is very promising.
I have been reading all the posts on APUG and it has got people talking.
The most cruical thing is to get the right sort of developing tank designed and/or modified to handle the correct re exposure times correctly, as far as chemistry goes, that is the next most important thing to have right, it wouldnt be hard to have a computer controlled heater in the tanks to keep the chemicals at the right temperature, but obviously the mixing ratios have to also be perfect, i dont know how long the chemicals keep once mixed, but if they are useable for an hour or so, i guess you could get a good run of film done in that time.
If several "labs" pop up that can successfully process kodachrome, it may be enough to spark Ilford to make a 3 layer B&W film that could be processed in the same way, who knows?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM

I hope I am not being overly optimistic on the recent efforts of our APUGers, but things do seem to be proceeding nicely along. An issue, however, that seems to keep rearing its head, among several members there, is that of the absence of new product. As one individual pointed out, all Kodachrome is now outdated. However, having shot frozen and/or refrigerated out-dated stock during the last several months that processing was available through Dwayne's, and not encountered any issues, aside from a batch purchased on ebay that was probably stored in less-than-ideal conditions, I cannot see the absence of new stock as an issue, given the amount of film ESTIMATED to be residing in freezers around the world. Certainly, what is currently available is enough to "keep the machinery in operation" for the foreseeable future and, not coincidentally, provide the individual(s) with a nice income.

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 04-22-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM

the Kodachrome Kidd is on a distinguished road
Talking Thats Great News!!!

Greetings All!!! I have been absent from the forum as of late,as it seems like the much rumored "K-Lab" news has withered away.I would check in from time to time,but no real news.And now-a sliver of hope that my 21 rolls of Kodachrome just may get used after all-What great news indeed and i am keeping my fingers crossed on this!!! Even if the processing is very hard to replicate at least there is someone out there willing to try; Please,all out there with the Know how-Keep it up!!! I somehow hope that we will have at least some 2012 era Kodachromes out there(and with some great rumored "new" Kodachrome news coming out of the film division of Kodak)Just MAYBE we will have Kodachrome once again.I really hope all of this comes to pass.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 AM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

OK so it can be done.

But offering this commercially is an entirely different matter. And this aspect is not what this chap is planning.

Plus he does not give any guarantees that the way he is processing will provide the same longevity of Kodachrome processed by the recommended method.

An interesting development but I for one will not be making any bids with any on-line auctions in order to build up a supply of Kodachrome.

This is a case for "When its broke, move on to something that you know works!"

Chris
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 AM

No argument here, Chris: We have not yet found our "Holy Grail." Yes, longevity here remains the great unknown. As well, as has been noted by several individuals, the "scaling up" (i.e. commercial processing) of any effort will be, in the absence of a proper K-Lab, problematic. Nonetheless, as I have pointed out, and others have duly noted, the success of this one individual seems to have served as something of a catalyst, lighting the proverbial fire, and inspiring others to apply their talents to the problems at hand (I, for one, would NEVER, underestimate Yankee ingenuity!). While this project - by any reasonable estimation - has a long way to go, I refuse to abandon my cautious optimism.

Like you, I have "moved on," shooting Ektachrome E100G/E100VS as my colo(u)r current films of choice (given the recent discontinuation of both, I am building up my inventory); in a few years' time, I will, no doubt, again be seeking out a replacement (oh, well!). If I am eventually forced to shoot digital for my colo(u)r work and analog(ue) for my black and white, so be it. For me, the important thing is to be able to shoot: creating images is part of who I am, and how I relate to my environment. Ultimately, photography, for me, is about ends, not means (even though I clearly prefer some means to others!).

Certainly, I am not in the market to purchase any more Kodachrome; with 140-odd rolls tucked safely away in my deep-freeze there is no need to do so (the entire stash cost, by my rough estimate, something in the neighbo(u)rhood of $250.00 CDN - chump change, really). And, in a worst-case scenario, a source of cheap black and white film (albeit film that will be a bit of a pain to process!)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 AM

KevK is on a distinguished road

My hope is that Kodak sell its Kodachrome chemistry as part of its bankruptcy. Clearly they don't think it is commercially viable any longer so why not sell the information to get what they can for it?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
My hope is that Kodak sell its Kodachrome chemistry as part of its bankruptcy. Clearly they don't think it is commercially viable any longer so why not sell the information to get what they can for it?
Actually, KevK, most, if not all of Kodak's Kodachrome K14-related information (as well as earlier iterations) should be in the public domain. You have, however, hit upon a rather interesting idea: sourcing (when the time arrives that the K-lab becomes an operational reality) the requisite chemistry from Eastman Chemical. One would imagine that there would be more than a few knowledgeable and interested parties (alumnus and current employees) who could be engaged in this undertaking. As far as existing stocks are concerned, however, I would doubt any remain; several of the chemical components used in the K14 process were noted for short lifespan and their tendency to quickly oxidise...
Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Actually, KevK, most, if not all of Kodak's Kodachrome K14-related information (as well as earlier iterations) should be in the public domain. You have, however, hit upon a rather interesting idea: sourcing (when the time arrives that the K-lab becomes an operational reality) the requisite chemistry from Eastman Chemical. One would imagine that there would be more than a few knowledgeable and interested parties (alumnus and current employees) who could be engaged in this undertaking. As far as existing stocks are concerned, however, I would doubt any remain; several of the chemical components used in the K14 process were noted for short lifespan and their tendency to quickly oxidise...
I dont know if kodak even have any k-14 chemicals left in stock, they would have shipped the remainder to dwaynes before they stopped k-14 processing. Any remainder of chemicals would be useable however, as it only oxidises once mixed, and its stored in sealed containers in its crystal form, and should keep fine.
Anyway Kittlegraphy is still around and has his k-lab as per his recent post, hes just been busy thats all. Things are looking hopeful.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Dan_KR64 has disabled reputation

I am missing it these days...

I have 60 rolls of the last batch left, but I will not think of touching it until the process is sound and not $100 per roll. I'll keep an eye on this...

Kodachrome images on Flicker

Photo.net galleries