kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM

kevinkar is on a distinguished road
Default LaserSoft New Resolution Targets

Just wanted to point out, in case anyone is interested, that LaserSoft (makers of SilverFast) apparently are getting into the resolution target business by producing and selling their version of the USAF 1951 resolution target in 35mm for an introductory price of $99.

I've looked for available targets and have found several for sale but at outrageous prices (I know, $99 seems kind of outrageous too!) and this is probably the lowest I've seen in the recent past so it makes it somewhat reasonable. Not sure what they'll be selling it for after their introductory period.

I've been wanting to know what the *real* best resolution is for my scanners (Nikon LS-2000; 2700dpi max optical, Epson V700; supposedly 6400dpi max optical) so that I don't waste time and storage space and the only way to determine it is with a resolution target or some careful experimentation with an appropriate slide (pictures of my Mom's plants and wicker wall hangings just don't cut it!).

I'm considering it but $99 is a lot of money!

Kevin
Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM

jcbenner is on a distinguished road

Did you ever get the resolution target? If so, how did it work?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM

I haven't yet decided!

While $99 is pretty inexpensive compared to others I've seen for sale, it's still a lot of dough to spend on what might be less than 5-10 scans (A Nikon LS-2000 at 2700dpi and an Epson V700 using a few resolutions to see which one works best).

For now, comparing scans to the original using a 30x loupe is showing the Nikon is indeed pretty sharp (it can focus automatically or manually) and the Epson is sometimes sharp but frequently a bit soft (fixed focus so it's dependent on the settings used and the location of the scanned item relative to the glass.)

So I haven't decided to spend the cash yet. It's still $99 though. Probably haven't had a lot of takers yet!

Kevin
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM

cooltouch is on a distinguished road

According to some threads I've read over at hybridphoto.com (which is currently undergoing a major face lift and is becoming dpug.com), those folks who do have the 1951 test chart have determined that the Epson V7xx series is good for about 2300 pixels per inch, which beats my Epson 4990, with its claimed 4800 ppi output but which actually only puts out about 2000 ppi or so. Epson and other scanner makers will hand you a bunch of doublespeak about how their scanners really do scan at the lofty levels they claim, but when it's time to count pixels, sadly the real numbers are much lower. So, your Nikon LS-2000 probably puts out approximately 400 more ppi than your Epson 700 does.

If I were in your position, I would take an accurately focused Kodachrome slide and scan it in both machines, then compare the results in my image processing software. Seems to me, it shouldn't be that difficult to determine the quantitative difference between the two.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 AM

You are right. The claimed resolutions are never near what the output actually is. I've been scanning on the Epson with a resolution that is close to the Nikon in order to produce roughly the same file size and is maybe a bit higher than the scanner is actually capable of but the results are "reasonable" so I'm ok with it.

The chief advantage is that I can scan odd format negatives the LS-2000 can't as well as use the mounts to scan lots of crappy negatives and slides quicker than the Nikon (endless pictures of plants and stuff my mom took before the advent of digital cameras!) So the resolution out of the Epson is not absolutely critical. The 2700dpi scans out of the Nikon are adequate though I'd love to have a later model like the 9000.

Kevin
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM

I see LaserSoft has dropped the price of their resolution targets to $57.98 which is much more reasonable than $99 which was a lame "introductory price".

I'd sure like to see these things more like $20 which is STILL too high a price. After all, it's just a slide for crying out loud.

Oh well, in case anyone was interested. This is one of the lowest prices yet for a resolution target I've seen....

Kevin
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Ok, after thinking about it a bit after posting I bit the bullet and bought one of the targets. LaserSoft sent it right away and it arrived only a couple days later.

I did not plug in my LS-2000 to test yet but did check out the Epson V700 and found out that the maximum resolvable resolution was roughly 2896 x 2580 (vertical x horizontal) which is a lot less than the manufacturer's stated optical resolution of 6400.

It's possible that could be improved a bit by better focusing (unfortunately the V700 does not have an adjustable focus but you can manually modify it by raising or lowering the slide holder) which might bring out the next element in the target but that would only increase it to 3200 which is still half the stated 6400.

I expect the Nikon to perform better than 50% of it's stated resolution (half of 2700 is only 1350 after all) so I'll let you know what I find out later. At least I now know I don't have to scan higher than 3200 dpi on the Epson!

Kevin
Old 04-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Update now that I finally plugged in my LS-2000 to my XP machine again.

I scanned the Silverfast target at maximum optical resolution (2700) and was able to resolve Group 4, element 6 in both horizontal and vertical directions which equates to an actual resolution of 1448dpi or a little over HALF of the claimed optical resolution of an LS-2000. A bit disappointing but expected.

Then I scanned at the settings closest to the 1448 (1350, I believe) and the same 4/6 was resolvable proving that scanning at 1350dpi is the best case scenario for that scanner.

Clearly if I need to enlarge any images I'd want to continue scanning at 2700 to generate more pixels to make the enlargements a bit sharper.

The next question is if the higher dynamic range of the Nikon is worth the drop in resolution. I'm guessing that I should scan all "easy" pictures on the Epson but any tough images that require some extra dynamic range need to be done on the Nikon.

Also the fact that the Nikon can actually focus whereas the Epson is dependent on a very coarse focus based on location above the glass means that I might still get "sharper" results from the Nikon if focus comes into play.

I hope this helps anyone who has questions about either the V700 or the LS-2000.

Kevin

P.S. If the Nikon 5000 model could be purchased for a reasonable price on ebay, I'd definitely pick one up to replace the LS-2000 but, as long as everyone keeps selling them for double or triple their original cost, I'm "stuck" with what I have.