kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 AM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

well i agree, there has not been too much of a deal made about it to my surprise.
I must say, i have read alot of negative stuff about Ektachrome fading to blue etc, but i expect this was in its early days, i have also read alot of posts from people who say the colour on slides shot 20-30+ years ago is still as good as when shot.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Checking online today, I noticed that my two favorite sources for film - Adorama and B&H - are both now offering 35mm E100G and E100VS at almost identical prices.
Actually, B&H has had nearly identical prices for 35mm E100G and E100VS (a bit over $10) since basically the announcement of the discontinuation. It was only Adorama that had 35mm E100G for $2ish less than E100VS until sometime this week. (I put in an order for E100G from Adorama late last Friday and it was still at the lower price.)

Btw, for some reason I can't figure out, for those of us (in the lower 48 of) the USA, Adorama has free shipping on the 35mm E100VS but not for 35mm E100G. (And it's been that way for a while.)

Last edited by sdkodachrome; 04-20-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Even with the 15 per cent "bump-up" in price, either Ektachrome is a bargain relative to what we are forced to pay locally. Needless to say, my film purchases are all state-side; I will quite willingly continue to stock up on both until supplies are exhausted - or until my film freezer refuses to close! The same applies to processing: I would love to give my business to locals, but why should I pay $14.95/roll (processed and mounted) plus PST plus GST when I wait, accumulate a while, and send it off to Dwayne's to have the same done for $8.95/roll?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Even with the 15 per cent "bump-up" in price, either Ektachrome is a bargain relative to what we are forced to pay locally. Needless to say, my film purchases are all state-side; I will quite willingly continue to stock up on both until supplies are exhausted - or until my film freezer refuses to close! The same applies to processing: I would love to give my business to locals, but why should I pay $14.95/roll (processed and mounted) plus PST plus GST when I wait, accumulate a while, and send it off to Dwayne's to have the same done for $8.95/roll?
ive noticed that adorama have reduced their prices on their ebay listings back to 8.95, when it was 12.95 only the other week.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
ive noticed that adorama have reduced their prices on their ebay listings back to 8.95, when it was 12.95 only the other week.
What listings are those? I see the same 35mm E100G/E100VS $10ish prices on Adorama's ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Adorama-Camer...&submit=Search

as on their own website.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
I think you misread, NZ: the listing to which you referred, when I checked in yesterday, was for 120 format, not 35mm.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Not to be the bearer of bad tidings, but a "look-see" on Adorama's and B&H's respective websites would seem to suggest that the supply of 120 Ektachrome (E100G and E100VS) is running down. Both have boosted prices in recent days on both pro-packs and single rolls (the former are nearing the $40.00 mark; B&H currently lists only single rolls of E100G at $13.00/roll). As much as I would prefer to support a US company over its Japanese counterpart, I am hard pressed to justify paying a 50 per cent-plus premium for Ektachrome over Astia/Provia/Velvia. However, as long as I can pick up another 75 or 80 rolls of 35mm E100G and E100VS, I will have sufficient supplies to see through several projects I have planned for the next 12-18months...

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 04-25-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM

And a little bit more bad news: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n120423.html

Our friends at Fuji have announced price increases - exact percentage increases vary - for the company's photo products. Increases will begin to take effect next month (May, 2012). Time to stock up! What makes this especially disheartening is to consider the recent activity with E6 emulsions: Fuji's reduced offerings (several reversal films were retired this past year) and Kodak's abandonment of its Ektachrome line. Given that Fuji will now enjoy a de facto monopoly on E6 products, it seems odd that a price increase should happen at this time. This begs the question of just how rapidly the market is shrinking and its projected future retrenchment...
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 PM

hujev is on a distinguished road

The fact that they themselves use the term 'substantial' in that news release is most aggravating, as if they don't even give a damn. I'm fearing that film's days are in the single digit years now, probably less than five for anything color. The old world I understood and loved is almost gone.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hujev View Post
The fact that they themselves use the term 'substantial' in that news release is most aggravating, as if they don't even give a damn. I'm fearing that film's days are in the single digit years now, probably less than five for anything color. The old world I understood and loved is almost gone.
In light of all the other bad news we have had to absorb in the past several years, Fuji's announcement seems, at first blush, just a little bit more "wood on the fire." However, reading closer, things really do not look as bad as many of us had feared. To wit: E6 film prices (35mm and 120) will rise about 20 per cent and E6 chemistry around 10 per cent. Not to be blase, but Fuji's prices will, for the most part, still fall under those charged by Kodak for its Ektachrome line. And, although I have never been a big fan of Fuji's reversal films, I will take having to compromise my choice of materials, over having no materials, anytime.