kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting Experiment... Can you guess the film this was shot with?

Interesting experiment if anyone can correctly identify what film this was shot on
(see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train_640_480.jpg (59.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 PM

kodakrome is on a distinguished road

"Attachment pending approval" for more then a week now.

I think we can safely say this forum is dead.

Bye bye forum.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 PM

i was thinking the same thing now.
The sad thing is that it had a surge of use since kodachrome processing stopped at the start of this year, but now it seems abandoned.

One thing i can say is this site has regained my interest in film if nothing else.
I hope i can get people to contribute to my wiki.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Smile A little patience (and understanding) folks...

While the delay in the "pending approval" is something of a departure from past experience, a bit of understanding is perhaps in order here. As Dan has indicated in a recent (March) blog, he has more than his hands full workwise (a book, etc. as well as possible future workshops, and possibly some well-earned leisure time with his SO).
If our own "Kodachrome projects" consumed a significant portions of our own leisure time (and $$$) over the last two years ( I spent a grand total of 11 weekends at home from May 2009 until December 2010, shooting some 300 rolls in the Canadian Rockies, Vancouver and Vancouver Island), imagine what the effort has meant for Dan; the notion of an all-consuming effort would seem to describe the last several years of his life. A litle reprieve from the activity would be both understandable and wholly warranted.
Certainly the fall-off in postings to this forum is a bit of a let-down: judging by both the number of hits to the K-14 processing post as well as the continuing addition of new members to this forum, interest in Kodachrome continues (and to eBayers: sales continue to this day; lot sizes do of course vary). Perhaps we are attracting neophytes?
For my part, I do hope for an eventual response from Dan: after a 6-month haitus from shooting color, I am reloading the Nikons and heading to the national parks at the end of July to do some comparison shooting (E6 emulsions alongside digital) and would like, for interest sake, to post some of the results on this site.
Keep the faith and be patient: we are photographers after all!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

The attachment is now visible, but I don't want to be the first to guess.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

I'd go for one of the Fuji films, maybe Velvia. (Assuming it's not a trick question )
Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Fuji Velveeta? I will hazard a guess, and assuming it's not a trick question, will opt for one of the K11 or K12 emulsions: Kodachrome II or Kodachrome X ?

BLK
Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Fuji Velveeta? I will hazard a guess, and assuming it's not a trick question, will opt for one of the K11 or K12 emulsions: Kodachrome II or Kodachrome X ?

BLK
Your pretty close actually, but at the same time no! lol
I actually feel really bad for doing this, as it was never actually shot on film, its digital.
I took this in 2006 on my cheap Canon Ixus55 camera, and have been recently playing around with alien skin exposure in Photoshop, in an effort to try and replicate the various forms of Kodachrome film.
I have to say its rather accurate, especially as far as the reds go, and probably the closest thing to getting that Kodachrome look.
In this case, i replicated the original kodachrome film, from the 1930's-1960's. I should post a few pics of the same image including the original and simulations of other films to compare.
I feel that Fuji Provia is fairly close to Kodachrome as far as E6 films go, and would be a good canidate possibly for being scanned and then manipulated in photoshop, would be interesting to hear if anyone has done such a thing with any E6 films, as thats probably the best of both worlds, youv'e got the look and grain of real film, but the colours close to if not the same as kodachrome.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 PM

Whoops... Let's blame the bad guess on a combination of the subject matter and the rendition of the red in the barn. The latter really brought to mind some of the FSA stuff from the late "30s. Nice colors all-in all; good work ("nice stomping").

BLK
Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Continuing on...I would be curious to see some of your "alien skin tones."
i.e. How do they hold up (accuracy-wise) when making broader adjustments to an image.

Cheers,

BLK