kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

I just happened to check a random box of 35mm Agfa 50RS slides from 1998, and was alarmed to see that they have all faded to an unusable overall green image! Look like B&W pictures toned green, almost no other colours visible.

These were processed by the then official Agfa lab (in Bury, UK), stored in their original "Agfachrome" plastic box, in a cool dark and dry study drawer. Nowhere near a darkroom, kitchen, or any chemical substances, so no possibility of fumes or other nasties affecting them.

I know it's not Kodachrome(!), but surely a so-called Professional film shouldn't do this after 15 years...anyone any ideas?

I took quite a lot of stuff on 50RS and 100RS in the 1990's, most is stored safely away, so will now need to check it out!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:15 AM

Prest_64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Prest_64: If I lived in a less humid environment, I would be inclined to agree with you! However, here on the Left Coast, summers tend to be on the humid side; and winters aren't referred to as "The Rainy Season" without reason. I would rather error on the side of caution and opt for the controlled temperature and humidity route - the expense is relatively minor. Besides, I have not only my own work to worry about:I was also delegated the responsibility for maintaining the family archive!
I currently live in the Mediterranean coast but most of the family archives are on a house in the mountains, where my dad grew up.
Got used to the sunny warm weather too much I guess. Just came back from the UK, experiencing another kind of weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
I just happened to check a random box of 35mm Agfa 50RS slides from 1998, and was alarmed to see that they have all faded to an unusable overall green image! Look like B&W pictures toned green, almost no other colours visible.
I also have one or two slide boxes that my father shot back in 1980 on USSR, ISO 50 Agfachrome that have the same problem, exactly as you describe.
These might be 18 years older, but sit near other slides shot about the same time.
What I thought is that it must have been some problem in processing. Some exhausted chemical or step gone wrong; affecting dyes.