kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
I am going to sneak in two last orders of E100G in 35mm before the end of the month and then call it a day.
Btw, you may want to look at calumetphoto.com. They seem to have lower prices than either Adorama or B&H right now. Now, that doesn't help me, because I live in California, and they have stores in California, so they charge sales tax, in addition to shipping, for purchases shipped to California, which raises the effective price for me above Adorama and B&H. However, I don't think you'd be subject to this sales tax difference (whether you ship to BC or WA), since they don't have stores either of those states/provinces, so it may well be cheaper for you (about 75 cents less a roll at the moment).
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default Reconsidering/Revisiting and "Completing my Kodachrome Project."

Like many others on this site - or at least those who were members before December 2010 - I, too, undertook a Kodachrome Project of sorts, celebrating, in my own way, this truly amazing film. To that end, over the course of the year-and-a-half following Eastman Kodak's announcement of the film's discontinuation, I travelled, when leisure allowed, almost continuously, shooting for extended periods on Vancouver Island, as well as in Jasper and Banff National Parks. Despite my best efforts, and a great deal of PKM/KM/PKR/KR/KL, I find, when considering the body of work that I amassed in the process, a sense of incompleteness to my efforts. Perhaps ambition (or panic/sorrow/anger) impaired my judgement and I should have more tightly circumscribed my project. By any reasonable estimation, the breadth of subject matter and the geographic extent of my efforts should have exercised at least a modicum of restraint to my thinking; alas, ambition triumphed.

The recent travails of Eastman Kodak have, however, given me pause: rather than bemoan the end of EK's Ektachrome line as a further tightening of the noose around the neck of those of us who love transparency film - a diminishing of the options as it were - I will, in the same spirit that animated the end of Kodachrome, use my Ektachrome stock (I am embarrassed to admit that I have enough to open a small retail outlet!) to revisit my Kodachrome work, with the express objective of finishing the earlier efforts. With a longer time horizon in front of me, and a closer proximity to the Island (90 minutes, give or take, by ferry), logistical issues will be far less of a concern. While there are, of course, no guarantees, I feel reasonably confident that E6 processing will be with us for a few more years at least. In the interest of seeing my effort complete this time around, I have set a self-imposed deadline of December 2014 for my "Koda/Ektachrome Project to be brought to completion.

The effort will, in the first instance, serve, in my mind at least, as a sort of celebration, a tribute of sorts to my beloved West Coast. More so, however, the adventure will serve as well as a sort of "Thank You," a homage to Eastman Kodak for some of the wonderful products the company has given us. At the risk of descending into the mawkish, I can, with a straight face, state outright that the quality, consistency and reliability of EK's products, when I started out shooting many years ago, played no small part in encouraging my efforts, and helped me develop as a photographer. Whether I continue shooting analog color after my Ektachrome supplies are exhausted is very much an open question; my ambivalence toward the remaining E6 emulsions has been duly noted on several other posts on this site.

Kodak's Ektachrome line-up - often disparaged as Kodachrome's "ugly sibling" or similar words to that effect - has, of course, never earned the former the same loyalty or elicited the same resonance as the latter. This despite the fact that the last generation of Ektachrome emulsions are a world away from their ancestors. So...am I being a sentimentalist, or are others here planning on a final tribute, a swansong, of sorts, to a once great American company?

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 05-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
...Kodak's Ektachrome line-up - often disparaged as Kodachrome's "ugly sibling" or similar words to that effect - has, of course, never earned the former the same loyalty or elicited the same resonance as the latter. This despite the fact that the last generation of Ektachrome emulsions are a world away from their ancestors. So...am I being a sentimentalist, or are others here planning on a final tribute, a swansong, of sorts, to a once great American company?
Recent Ektachrome emulsions have, indeed, been wonderful, and I too plan a swansong for my last rolls and cassettes. But how different from Kodachrome - no running to the local FedEx to mail the last ones to Dwayne's, shooting the last frames along the way. Instead, we can store a last E6 kit and home process the last ones at our leisure - a nostalgic moment of a very different kind, and still some years away. In the meantime, maybe C22 or Kittlegraphy (welcome back!) will give us a second Kodachrome swansong!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlodekmj View Post
Recent Ektachrome emulsions have, indeed, been wonderful, and I too plan a swansong for my last rolls and cassettes. But how different from Kodachrome - no running to the local FedEx to mail the last ones to Dwayne's, shooting the last frames along the way. Instead, we can store a last E6 kit and home process the last ones at our leisure - a nostalgic moment of a very different kind, and still some years away. In the meantime, maybe C22 or Kittlegraphy (welcome back!) will give us a second Kodachrome swansong!
Is the Kodak E6 processing different from Fuji E6 processing? Do Dwayne's (and other film processors) use a different E6 processing depending on the film brand you're sending in? (And, if so, which do they use for a film that's neither Koldak nor Fuji?)

If not, you don't even need to stock up on E6 now, because it's only Kodak, not Fuji, that's discontinuing mass-produced reversal films. So even if they discontinue their E6 as well (and has there been an announcement of that, or only of the film discontinuation?), you could still send off and have it developed in Fuji E6 processing.

But does E6 processing chemistry keep as long (stored how?) as the E6 film itself (if kept cold enough)?
Old 06-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
Is the Kodak E6 processing different from Fuji E6 processing? Do Dwayne's (and other film processors) use a different E6 processing depending on the film brand you're sending in? (And, if so, which do they use for a film that's neither Koldak nor Fuji?)

If not, you don't even need to stock up on E6 now, because it's only Kodak, not Fuji, that's discontinuing mass-produced reversal films. So even if they discontinue their E6 as well (and has there been an announcement of that, or only of the film discontinuation?), you could still send off and have it developed in Fuji E6 processing.

But does E6 processing chemistry keep as long (stored how?) as the E6 film itself (if kept cold enough)?
As far as I am aware, EK's E6 and Fujifilm's CR-56 are, for all intents, identical. WAY back in high school, I worked in a photo-lab which ran both C41 and E6 lines. Ektachromes and Fujichromes of various stripes were fed into the E6 machine (the name of the beast escapes me) in whatever order the operator happened to decide. Whatever differences may exist between E6 and CR-56 are so minor as to be negligible. The decision to differentiate processing chemistry - most likely related to the need to help distinguish each manufacturer's respective film offerings - really exists as nothing more than minor propriety matters.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this detailed reply, and sorry I did not reply sooner - the sense of urgency from the last few months of Kodachrome has gone. Maybe there should be some sense of urgency for those of us wanting to buy Ektachrome while it is available, but I see several online dealers still selling it.

Quote:
The differences are very small. Fuji's CR-56 process is sufficiently similar to Kodak's E-6, Agfa's AP44 and Konica's CRK-2 that all their fillms can be developed together. The independent E-6 processing kits (Tetenal and others) work for all makes too, and that is what I intend to buy and use for my last few E-6 films.

Quote:
Kodak are not discontinuing the E-6 process chemicals because they are still selling E-6 movie film. When they do discontinue the chemicals, Fuji will be as good, and I shall continue to send off most of my slide films for processing while I can.

Quote:
That is a very important question - does anyone reading this know? Does anyone sell E-6 kits in powder only form? Presumably the liquid kits keep best if stored at just above freezing point, and in glass containers or in a nitrogen atmosphere to prevent oxygen percolating through plastic containers.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:31 PM

And time marches on. Some two years into my Koda/Ektachrome Project and the effort continues. Despite the more restricted confines (Vancouver Island, exclusively), there have been times when I have found myself wondering if even my "Island Project" was a bit much. Nonetheless, I can at least see a bit of structure in this effort. Despite the variety of subject matter - landscapes, seascapes, architecture, nature and wildlife, portraits and festivals - there is, I feel, a sense of form (or place, perhaps?) beginning to emerge. As of this writing, I am near, by a crude estimation, something more than half-way complete the project (not bad, considering I am usually on the Island no more than twice a month). After the Christmas rush (mid-January, perhaps), it will be time to forward a bag-o-film to Dwayne's for processing. When the effort is finally complete (the end of next year?), I will be posting some of the images on this site as well as a link to my still unfinished website.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Default An Upside to Global Warming?

Living on the Left Coast, I have always accepted the (unfortunate) fact that November means the start of the rainy season. While I have never been one to let the weather encumber my photography, I will admit that my output has always fallen off somewhat over the winter months. Or, rather, it has been my experience until recently. In marked departure from past years, I am still at work on my Koda/Ektachrome Project, shooting every second weekend on the Island and several times a week at different places in the Lower Mainland. I have reached the point, in fact, where I can now see the back panel of the freezer for the first time in several years! While my stash is drawing down slowly, some 250 (estimated) rolls of E100G/VS still remain. My intention was to have this effort wrapped up by the end of this year, but that may be pushed out.