kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 PM

JBA is on a distinguished road

In anticipation of shooting Kodachrome, I finally took my old Nikon F2 in to be overhauled. My faithful old 24 and 105 were beyond help and went in the junk box. I got K-version Nikkors to replace them along with a K 50 1.4, all with AI conversion.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM

I couldn't very well be without a camera for these new lenses while my F2 is being overhauled, so I went out and bought a cheap, ratty Nikon F and then burned through a roll of Plus-X just to get used to shooting with it. Then, yesterday evening, 12 rolls of KR-64 arrived from Dwayne's!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 PM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

Doesn't it feel good in the hands? Enjoy yourself.

Another unsolicited suggestion for your photo trekking - After returning to photography, I indulged in an eye-level tripod with quick-release plates. I've even used it with ISO 1600, and a 55mm at 1/60. Sometimes it's just more enjoyable to savor the shot before I click the shutter. And of course, it's also useful when waiting for the sun to come out from behind the clouds.

I wonder if you will see a difference in your photos due to the lenses. When I went to Nikkor multi-coated AIS lenses from Vietnam vintage Super Takumars, the difference was obvious. At the time, I was shooting mainly KM 25. Keep it in mind if you shoot side-by-side with someone with newer and "better" optics.

Last edited by Brian Kim; 03-21-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Already a step ahead of you where the tripod is concerned, Brian. Thinking about upgrading it at some point.

The Nikon is basically a nostalgic indulgence, since I started off shooting Kodachrome with an F2 back in '79 (I'd already been photographing intensively for nearly 3 years by then). Also, there's an abundance of good, cheap Nikkors here in Tokyo, so I'll be able to indulge in some of the lenses I wished I could use back in my teens.

Mostly I use Leicas. Here's my kit minus a whole bunch of lenses.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Looks like you're ready.

Have a good time. I agree completely with you about Kodachrome's range and forgiving character. I think some people still think it's "hard" to shoot transparencies. But with autoexposure, the concern is unwarranted.

I intend to use some of Dan's KM 25 at aperature-priority f/4. Just for the heck of it. I can't remember when I last shot auto ... '84?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 AM

Ektagraphic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ektagraphic

Some nice cameras.......
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
Some nice cameras.......
Betcha he's got the glass to match too.

Don't fret. As long as he doesn't get in the way of your shot, it doesn't matter.

Someday you'll have your dream camera too. Hopefully before they have Startrek holodecks at WalMart. Just joking.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBA View Post
... I got K-version Nikkors to replace them along with a K 50 1.4, all with AI conversion.
What are K-version Nikkors?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
Some nice cameras.......
Thanks. People will tell you that equipment is not important and all that matters is the final image, but having the right tools is key to arriving at that final image, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying the equipment you use. (Then again, camera fondlers are a different breed entirely.)

I chose my cameras for a combination of features and reliability. For me, this means mechanical cameras with all the functions I need and none I don't.

Many people say the Leicaflex SL and SL2 are the best 35 mm SLRs ever made. I think it's a dead heat between the Leicaflex and the Nikon F/F2. The Leicaflex wind lever throws too far and the camera would also benefit from interchangeable focusing screens IMO. But the big shutter speed dial mounted right up front can be operated easily without looking away from the finder, and the finder is possibly the brightest of any SLR ever.

Sadly, the SL2 tended to have problems with 1/2000, and mine doesn't work properly at all and may be irreparable. Thinking of trading it for an SL MOT.

The Leica Ms are fantastic. I use them far more than the SLRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kim View Post
Betcha he's got the glass to match too.
Indeed. The glass is the real deciding factor in choosing a camera for me. I include all the information about camera, lens and film with each image on my Flickr gallery (linked in my signature), which should give you an idea of the lenses I'm using. (Shameless self-promotion )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kim View Post
What are K-version Nikkors?
The K-version is the version that came out just before they introduced AI. It was produced from 1974-77, so it was current when I got into photography and set my sights on Nikon. K stood for "Konnichi-teki," which literally means "today-like" or more simply "contemporary."

I didn't know any of this until the other day when I checked the serial #s of my new lenses on this site:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html
Old 03-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the info. An enviable kit. Take care.