kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM

marke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBA View Post
Thanks. People will tell you that equipment is not important and all that matters is the final image, but having the right tools is key to arriving at that final image, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying the equipment you use. (Then again, camera fondlers are a different breed entirely.)

JBL, I started a thread on another forum that was titled, "Leica: It's not just about the picture". http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31344360

What you said above pretty much sums up the point I was trying to get across in the thread. But as with many in life, sometimes just a little mention of one side prompts some people to respond with delusions of dealing with extremists.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM

JBA is on a distinguished road

Marke, yes, that's exactly the point, not only with a Leica or a rangefinder, but with any camera. The ergonomics, capabilities, precision, build strength, and optical quality, among other things, are the reasons we choose to use one camera over another. This is also why certain cameras become legends -- the Leica Ms and Nikon Fs come to mind. There's a reason the great photographers have preferred certain cameras.

It's funny how some people engage in a reverse snobbery about equipment. It's rather disingenuous. These people always point out that a good photographer can take good photos with any camera, while a lousy photographer will still take lousy photos with the best cameras. This is obvious and not really an insight.

Anyhow, enough about equipment.

I've started uploading my old Kodachromes to my Flickr gallery in chronological order starting from 1979. It's interesting for me to see how my photographic vision started to develop when I got my first Nikon F2 and became wedded to Kodachrome. It represented a quantum leap.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM

gbhill is on a distinguished road

I have always been a Canon shooter but that old Nikon F with those sweet lenses I believe were made for kodachrome. I have a few rangefinders & I've yet to shoot my 1st roll of kchrome. (I have a roll of k64 in fridge now) I have been debating on what camera to shoot my 1st roll with, but I see it only proper to use the old Canon slr for my first roll.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhill View Post
I have always been a Canon shooter but that old Nikon F with those sweet lenses I believe were made for kodachrome. I have a few rangefinders & I've yet to shoot my 1st roll of kchrome. (I have a roll of k64 in fridge now) I have been debating on what camera to shoot my 1st roll with, but I see it only proper to use the old Canon slr for my first roll.
What model of Canon do you have?

I was always a fan of Canon's breech-lock mount. Turning just a collar on the lens was so much more efficient than turning the whole lens. I never used Canons much but admired the F-1. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of the original versions and a few lenses just for fun. Any suggestions for must-have Canon lenses?

I've finished uploading my old Kodachromes. If anybody's interested in seeing them, please click on my signature and view the set Kodachrome Archive.
Some of them are above average.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 AM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

Your archive is terrific. Love the white walls on the Packard. Now that was a car. Pardon ... your grandfather's car is a great car.

I like the overhead of the pool furniture too.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM

gbhill is on a distinguished road

I have a AE-1 program that my wife bought me a few years ago. I too like the breech lock & have the 50/1.4ssc. It's a breech lock though a bit heavy. I'm in the process of building a collection of Canon lenses. My next I think will be a 28/2.8. Can't afford L lenses but they are exceptionally good.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 PM

Brian, thanks for looking. Glad you like the photos.

The Packard now belongs to my brother. We both learned to drive in that car.

gbhill, You've got yourself a classic. The AE-1 and the later A-1 were game-changers that set the standard for automation in cameras that followed.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 AM

Four cameras loaded with Kodachrome, and I'm a happy boy!

Today, I told a few people at one of my local shops that Kodachrome is still available and that processing costs less than they thought. Everybody was very interested and wanted the contact and order information for Dwayne's.

One guy who's obviously a serious film photographer said he threw out all his Kodachrome because he though it would cost hundreds of dollars per roll to get developed.

Good news. Many serious film photographers would be using Kodachrome if they knew it was still available and being processed somewhere -- and at a price that won't break the bank.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 PM

Ektagraphic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ektagraphic

We should all write to Kodak to try to get them to advertise Kodachrome somehow. Even if it showed up in a few places that would get some people to know it is still out there....Maybe we should advertise the Kodachome project in places. I would love to have a Kodachrome Project flyer to hang in my local photo shop (who is ant-film...I wonder what they would say when I would ask to hang it ). It would be nice to put it up in the Library too.....
Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Ektagraphic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ektagraphic

Have you posted any of your old Kodachromes anywhere? On here or Flickr?