kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM

ZoneV is on a distinguished road
Default Do other people you know shoot film?

One of my projects (an extension of Dan's idea) was to try to get others to shoot Kodachrome.

This brought up a question: How many of your friends, colleagues, associates, relatives, and acquaintances shoot film (not necessarily just Kodachrome but any type of film)?

Personally:

-A friend of mine in his early 20s who does photography day in and day out as his business shoots film occasionally because I got him into it, but he learned on digital and that is primarily what he uses. He does own a Mamiya 645 and now an F100 too, in addition to digital SLRs.

-I know a guy who is around 60 who shoots only film, no digital. He has a darkroom, attends film swaps, flea markets, etc. He still shoots a lot of discontinued film types. He also doesn't own a computer (he uses one at the university he used to work for). He uses older manual Nikons mostly, like the FE, and a Speed Graphic too.

-I know a guy who is close to 60 who is a long-time professional photographer. He switched to digital around 2005, but still uses a little bit of medium format film once in a while. He sold all of his 35mm gear years ago but ended up buying the same type of 35mm SLR again a couple of years ago. This is because he is also a part-time school teacher at a private school, and needs it for the photography class he teaches (which is based around b&w and darkroom).

Everyone else I currently know who does photography is fully digital and doesn't really shoot film. Most of them are people in their late teens and early 20s, or professional photographers between the ages of 40 and 60. Another friend of mine, for example, is fully digital. he used film in high school about 6 years ago and loved the darkroom, but is entirely digital now because he loves the convenience and is also quite a computer geek. He did use some film 2 years ago for a photography course we took.

I ran across a guy around 40 at a tractor show with a Pentax K1000. First manual camera I've seen all year other than my own.

How about you and the people you know? Any use film?

Last edited by ZoneV; 09-11-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

I know some people with only film cameras, but I don't know how often they take pictures. I've given five of them rolls of Kodachrome in the last year, but I only know one who's used it. She shot both rolls, and seemed happy. She doesn't have a digital.

Three of the five don't have digital cameras. So I think it just comes down to the making time, and finding the peace of mind to shoot.

I think technology has managed to keep more of us busy with many things of less duration, and in subtle ways lessened the apparent value of anything which takes longer. Why read a book? Why go to a live concert? Why listen to a whole CD? Seems like only movies command the time commitment, and they're shorter, not including all the commercials and previews.

But I am still displaying prints around my cubicle. And my first response is always the film used. Lately ... no one has commented. Actually, I think it's because they don't believe in printing their photos. But people have commented on the color, especially them Kodachrome reds and yellows.

I think I'll change the pictures again on Monday. Ripe mangoes and sunshine flowers.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM

KevK is on a distinguished road

I gave my sister and two of my brothers each a roll of Kodachrome. Only my sister shot her roll. One brother didn't even want the film (don't know why) and the other hasn't shot it yet so I asked for it back (he has his roll and our brother's roll). He says he now wants to shoot at least one roll but I really don't see it happening.

I think it takes a certain personality type to reminisce enough that they see the value in film.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Other than a couple of friends who are "serious" enthusiasts, none of my friends or family shoot film.
I seem to see many more people taking digital pictures on anything from phones to serious cameras, but, other than perhaps snapshots where there are young children in the family, I seem to see much less in the way of finished sets of pics. I can remember that it used to be quite fun when everyone passed around their latest packet of prints which they'd just collected from the local chemists, or even the slide show of their latest holiday!
It may be that, as Brian Kim suggests, that it is another factor of busy times and reduced attention span, or it may be that, when photography was seen as a rather expensive pastime, that more value was attached to the finished photographs?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 AM

dmr is on a distinguished road

When I am complimented on a photo, such as when friends are visiting or at the office, I always remark that it is film. I even refer to myself as a "film snob" when in the company of those who are into photography.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:30 PM

ZoneV is on a distinguished road

I met and heard speak a photographer around 30 not too long ago who is doing a project on gay student athletes. I asked him, because I was curious, if he used mostly digital. He said that all of the photos for the project are from medium format film.

They're out there. They're definitely out there.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM

LeadMan67 is on a distinguished road

Other people know I use film. I know of two others that still do (my dad and an old friend of mine - he shoots both). I'm 42.

I've never owned a digital camera and have no intention of doing so; it holds no allure for me. I use computers everyday at home and work and digital cameras, but they are just tools. While they can do some neat things, I could easily live without.

I currently have a Nikon F3 and a Mamiya RZ67. Both take wonderful pictures. The hands-on experience is what keeps me going. Having to use a separate light light meter for the RZ is a kick!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 PM

JBA is on a distinguished road

Yes, other people I know shoot film, but to the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one who shoots Kodachrome.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 AM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
It may be that, as Brian Kim suggests, that it is another factor of busy times and reduced attention span, or it may be that, when photography was seen as a rather expensive pastime, that more value was attached to the finished photographs?
I think many have been convinced that we can save money on the small incremental costs by a larger new technology outlay. As in save money on film by going digital.

But when I think of it, for me who rarely shoots more than three rolls a month, film and processing has increased minimally. Scanning is the big cost difference. If I stuck with the traditional photography workflow, the change in cost over 20 years is low. In fact, my local CVS offers 8x10's and 8x12s (from a digital file) for $1.99. Since I shoot mainly slides, I can easily consider the cost of scanning the roll as the same as additional costs of internegatives or positive prints.

The big savings are for people who shoot digital, but never have prints made. And for these people, I think they are missing out on a basic photographic activity. Or maybe getting to a print isn't basic anymore.

I used to think a slide was a finished image, and a print an interpretation. Like a musical score versus music performed. Like a poem on paper versus a poem read aloud. Guess that's kind of quaint.

But then again, it does seem more like a personal expression to give someone a print. Not an email, but a handwritten message in longhand on quality paper.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 AM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road

I was looking at some pictures today that my dad took about 10 years ago with some sort of point-and-shoot film camera. And after looking at those, I can see why SO many people want to go digital. Specifically, those film shots look like GARBAGE compared to ANYTHING that could be taken with even a simple point-and-shoot digital camera. Granted, they WERE taken by a point-and-shoot camera using cheap consumer grade C41 film. So they REALLY can't be looked at as representative of what you can get if you shoot a quality film (like Kodachrome) with, say, a proper SLR and lens. However, most people don't (and never have) take pictures using good reversal film in a Leica or a Canon EOS 3 with an L-series lens. And when we are talking about using the kinds of equipment and film that MOST people used back in the day, digital is WORLDS better.