kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8314 View Post
I was looking at some pictures today that my dad took about 10 years ago with some sort of point-and-shoot film camera. And after looking at those, I can see why SO many people want to go digital. Specifically, those film shots look like GARBAGE compared to ANYTHING that could be taken with even a simple point-and-shoot digital camera. Granted, they WERE taken by a point-and-shoot camera using cheap consumer grade C41 film. So they REALLY can't be looked at as representative of what you can get if you shoot a quality film (like Kodachrome) with, say, a proper SLR and lens. However, most people don't (and never have) take pictures using good reversal film in a Leica or a Canon EOS 3 with an L-series lens. And when we are talking about using the kinds of equipment and film that MOST people used back in the day, digital is WORLDS better.
Very good points....and you might also add the very poor quality of many shop and postal D&P services. Even a simple film camera with consumer-grade film can produce surprisingly good results if used within its limitations and with care in processing and printing.

However, digital will always score on time and convenience (which is a factor at times....I use it exclusively for family shots). It also give the ordinary user the opportunity for easy photo-shopping and corrections, which would need a full darkroom and considerable skill, time and experience to do with analogue.

But using good reversal film in quality equipment, and taking time and thought in taking and composing pictures, is (IMHO) more comparable wth making a
watercolor or oil painting, and much more satisfying than taking dozens of digital shots just to (hopefully) find one good one.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:25 PM

ZoneV is on a distinguished road

After Kodachrome is gone, medium format becomes a more attractive medium. Another quality advantage to film.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default Film vs. Digital with younger generation (two viewpoints)

As a photo enthusiast, I, too, have tried to share my love of the medium with those in my family. My nephew (17) and my niece (16) have been both bitten by the bug; interestingly, the two have somewhat different views on the digital vs film issue.

Four years ago, I gave my nephew an F2A, along with several Nikkor lenses.
Initially, he shot a variety of C-41 emulsions until I introduced him to reversal film. Less discriminating than his uncle, he shot whatever chrome was available at the local drugstore. After running some KR through his camera
(provided by his uncle, of course), he began using the film exclusively. With the end of Kodachrome, he has, again, been shooting whatever chrome he comes across, all the while complaining that none look like "his Kodachromes."
Two years ago, when I upgraded to the D700, I passed along my D70, along with two CF cards to him. He has yet to shoot enough on one card to even bother downloading. To him, the F2 (and film) are for "real photography," digital is for "fun."
My neice, however, is another story. On Christmas 2009, she received a Nikon 3000 along with two lenses, and immediately went gonzo, learning her
equipment and "getting into Photoshop".
Last August, I passed along to her an F2 Photomic along with a 50mm Nikkor. Thus far, she has yet to put a single roll of color film through the camera. However, she has become, for lack of a better expression, a certified Tri-X junkie, shooting nothing but that film with the camera. She says that she just likes its "look." In the case of color, however, for reasons unknown to her uncle, she simply prefers digital color to that provided by film.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

Awful nice of you. I don't think my niece and nephew are that interested in photography to take pictures often. Then again, I have no extra cameras.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear of young people who enjoy using shooting film.

Last edited by Brian Kim; 01-09-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 AM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

A few years ago, I set up my niece with a nice Pentax K1000 kit for a photography class she was going to take in high school. She spent a weekend with us as I showed her how to use the camera. She shot a roll of Tri-X that weekend, and we hand-developed it. She took some amazing shots for a first timer, so nice, I printed and framed a few for us.

So she takes the class and something is wrong. She can't get any usable film out of the camera. I don't remember the problem she reported, but I borrowed the camera and shot a test roll. Everything was fine. The problem was at her (or her teacher's) end.

Her teacher's reaction? "Well, I guess your camera doesn't like black and white film!"

My niece spent the rest of the class with one of the school's cameras, and thanks to that "teacher," her interest in any kind of creative photography was killed, along with the promise she showed on that first roll.

Haven't seen the Pentax since.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhillary View Post
The problem was at her (or her teacher's) end.

Her teacher's reaction? "Well, I guess your camera doesn't like black and white film!"

My niece spent the rest of the class with one of the school's cameras, and thanks to that "teacher," her interest in any kind of creative photography was killed, along with the promise she showed on that first roll.

That's so wrong on at least four counts....that teacher has shown lack of interest, lack of knowledge, lack of professional training, and crushed a pupil's initiative and enthusiasm, all in one sentence.

Thankfully, my own lifetime interest in photography started with our old physics master, a keen amateur photographer, who set up a school camera club and darkroom, outside school hours and largely with his own equipment, and probably at least partly at his own cost. IIRC, it was either he or the maths master, who also ran the out-of-hours Stamp Club and the Chess Club.

Those were the teachers who "educated" their pupils in the true sense, rather than just ticking boxes and cramming them for ever reducing levels of exams. (I apologise to the few traditional teachers who are still around...I personally know three of them who feel just the same....interestingly all three have "had enough" and taken early retirement....)
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM

On a better note, I was chatting over Christmas to a younger friend, who's always into the latest gadgets, (complete with Android Phone, Kindle, etc.).

I let slip that I still used a film camera....he was initially rather surprised, having only used disposable cameras, then more recently a digital point-and-shoot. I explained about the demise of Kodachrome, the "different" results we get from "real film" and the flexability of scanning, adjusting and printing from slides and negs.

He had never heard of this, and became quite fascinated ("It's a bit like being an artist?" was one comment), and asked me to explain more and let him see my photo gear when he next visits.

Hopefully, I have a convert.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 PM

RichardB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneV View Post
After Kodachrome is gone, medium format becomes a more attractive medium. Another quality advantage to film.
So true.

I toyed with the idea of totally switching to medium format and buying a RB67 or something after I sent off my last Kodachromes, but prices of medium format gear are still quite a step up from 35mm and I can't justify it just yet. Its comforting to know though that medium format will probably be the last to die off if film ever does, as its so simple. Its a small miracle to be honest that Super 8 is still with us!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
That's so wrong on at least four counts....that teacher has shown lack of interest, lack of knowledge, lack of professional training, and crushed a pupil's initiative and enthusiasm, all in one sentence.
You're absolutely correct, Richard. I was stunned by her teacher's lack of curiosity. When I told my niece that can't be true, she replied with, "That's what she said!" as though since she was the teacher, her word carried more weight than mine (or our shared experience of successfully shooting B&W with that camera).

As for me, I do have a Pentax 67II which I used this past summer for some fun B&W work (apparently my Pentax likes B&W ), so I may be getting back into some more darkroom work with with the medium format gear. But since I still shoot plenty of 35mm with my old stereo camera, I'll have to settle on one of the remaining E-6 films to keep that going.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM

cooltouch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
I toyed with the idea of totally switching to medium format and buying a RB67 or something after I sent off my last Kodachromes, but prices of medium format gear are still quite a step up from 35mm and I can't justify it just yet.
It depends, really. About a year ago, I bought off feebay a nice Bronica ETRSi outfit -- the body, a prism finder, 75mm, 120 and 220 backs -- for $127. I've since added a 150mm f/3.5 and a Grip E to it that set me back another $90 or so altogether. So, it's possible to find good deals if you're observant and persistent.

It's a handy little outfit, but honestly I prefer a bigger negative -- at least a 6x6. What I really want is a Pentax 6x7. But those still go for a pretty good chunk of change.

As for the topic, yes, I still know several folks who shoot film. My mother, for one, still hasn't bought a digicam. I'm also a member of the Texas Photo Forum, and those of us who live in the Houston area get together every few months for a "film crawl," an event that is what it sounds like. An unhurried day spent shooting subjects with our film cameras. Our last outing was a few weeks ago, and we were operating film cameras in formats ranging from 5x7 to a few different medium formats to a couple of 35mm ones.