kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road
Default The Autumn of (and in) Kodachrome

On Monday, I received my Stereo Realist f2.8 from being serviced. As planned, I've loaded it with my last roll of Kodachrome 25 (once it thawed out). And it looks like I'm just in time to record the changing foliage, in three dimensions, here in the Northeast US.

Prior to this, I only shot a test roll in this camera, the results of which prompted the need for servicing. But I have complete confidence in the work that it seems fitting to make its first real roll in this camera my last roll of K25. When that camera was made, Kodachrome was ASA 10, so this is the closest I'll ever get to the "vintage" Kodachrome experience. It's one I hope to savor as long as possible (but not so long that I can't get the film processed!).

This weekend, we'll be going on a covered bridge tour. Seems like a good venue to start off this roll, but it will be a bittersweet endeavor, as the turning leaves provide a poignant analogy to the end of the Kodachrome.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhillary View Post
On Monday, I received my Stereo Realist f2.8 from being serviced. As planned, I've loaded it with my last roll of Kodachrome 25 (once it thawed out). And it looks like I'm just in time to record the changing foliage, in three dimensions, here in the Northeast US.

Prior to this, I only shot a test roll in this camera, the results of which prompted the need for servicing. But I have complete confidence in the work that it seems fitting to make its first real roll in this camera my last roll of K25. When that camera was made, Kodachrome was ASA 10, so this is the closest I'll ever get to the "vintage" Kodachrome experience. It's one I hope to savor as long as possible (but not so long that I can't get the film processed!).

This weekend, we'll be going on a covered bridge tour. Seems like a good venue to start off this roll, but it will be a bittersweet endeavor, as the turning leaves provide a poignant analogy to the end of the Kodachrome.
Nice to know that your Stereo Realist f2.8 is ready for action again Hillary in time to capture Autumn colours. Once they are processed be sure to post some here.

I am hoping for a little sun in my part of the world to get out with my last rolls of KR64. Like yourself most of these will be used to take pictures of Autumn. A fitting end to my venture with Kodachrome.

In June 1979 the first roll of film to go though my Olympus OM1 was KR64. I am hoping that my very last roll of KR64 will be exposed in that very same camera.

Along the way KR64 has provided fun, enjoyment and lasting full colour memories.

Cheers Chris
Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reply, Chris. It's interesting to see that you've come full circle with Kodachrome in the same camera.

My first exposure (haha) to Kodachrome was in the 1960s via our family's home movies, which I would later shoot. I treasure those films, but later gavitated toward the transparencies, so my journey doesn't have the same arc as yours. It would have been interesting to dig out the old Tower 8mm camera for the occasion, but at this point, that is an idle musing.

Got a few stereos of the autumn leaves. We've peaked around here, but I should keep the camera handy as there are still some nice images to be taken.

These days, each exposure seems more like ritual than avocation.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Hi 3DHillary

My last rolls of KR64 lasted into the winter. For the final roll I included interiors of my home and the local church.

I feel these images will be a fitting end to my time with Kodachrome.

Cheers Chris
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Hey Chris, that does sound like a fitting finish to your Kodachrome. I think I mentioned elsewhere that we did a self-timer shot of us in front of our Christmas tree--to make commemorate that our KM25 at least made it to the holiday season this year.

When I mounted the 64, I put a note on the description, "Last roll of K64" of each slide until I got to the last few, for which I counted down to the "Last Kodachrome 64 slide ever." I'll be doing the same for the 25 when it comes back (if anything comes out, that is).
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhillary View Post
Hey Chris, that does sound like a fitting finish to your Kodachrome. I think I mentioned elsewhere that we did a self-timer shot of us in front of our Christmas tree--to make commemorate that our KM25 at least made it to the holiday season this year.

When I mounted the 64, I put a note on the description, "Last roll of K64" of each slide until I got to the last few, for which I counted down to the "Last Kodachrome 64 slide ever." I'll be doing the same for the 25 when it comes back (if anything comes out, that is).
Hillary

I hope all was well with the 25.

Chris
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sweetman View Post
Hillary

I hope all was well with the 25.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Sorry for the so very late reply, but it turned out pretty well. The cold storage kept the color balance true quite a bit after its expiration date. The 2.8 still isn't perfect, but works fine at small apertures. The autumn shots are okay, but I used the last few frames to record our little family (with the husband and our guinea pigs) at Christmastime, a classic Kodachrome subject. Here are my last frames of Kodachrome 25 before putting in mounts.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 AM

Truly a fitting end 3Dhillary. Glad that the slides came out OK.

Chris