kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Dan_KR64 has disabled reputation
Default The last roll is processed...

At 1:36 PM on Tuesday the 18th of January, the last roll of Kodachrome ever to be processed came out of the machine....then it was turned off for good. In the last batch, 100 rolls were spliced together including my last 31 rolls that contain the last 15 frames to ever be shot that concluded at 11:40 AM. After the December 30th deadline, I went on to shoot another 2,300 frames including New Years Eve at a dive bar, hundreds of people wearing 3-D glasses at an IMAX theatre in New Years day and panoramics of jets being assembled at a plant in Wichita.

From December 26th, the lab souped 20,564 rolls of 35mm, 3,565 of 8mm and 57,655 feet of 16mm Kodachrome still and motion picture film. They had one batch of magenta go bad and had to get Kodak hand over a spare that they had lying around for benchmark testing. I then went on to shoot 12 rolls of Tri-X as reversal in dr5 including more than a dozen progressively under exposed "Takes" that fade to black that will be the final edit in the show and book. I have some KM-25 and some 64 left, my lone roll of 200 was the very last roll I shot.

I am beat, drove 450 miles from the lab towards Colorado where I will start my next project tomorrow. I don't think it has sank in yet....I still see in Kodachrome...

Kodachrome images on Flicker

Photo.net galleries
Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 AM

twkodachrome is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you

Many thanks to you, Dan. Have started shooting Kodachrome because of your project. Was my main film the last 2 years, couldn't shoot as much as I'd have liked. But fortunately had the opportunity to do so. Will miss the special colors.
Waiting for your book! What a great project for you, which will be part of your life.

Best wishes

Thorsten

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4034780...7622638600582/

Last edited by twkodachrome; 01-19-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

I don't suppose that, by looking at the lab numbers on the splices on the bits of end film returned with our slides, that we shall be able to know if one of our own films
was in that last 100? (My final film (sent via Lausanne) must have squeezed through Dwaynes doors at the very last minute. )

And congratulations to Dan on such a great project....this forum encouraged me, too, to have a great year shooting Kodachrome. Looking forward to the book.

Last edited by RichardE; 01-19-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Stephane Veron is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much, I wouldn't have taken the opportunity to shoot street life a last time on various Kodachrome films without knowing about your project and the end of Kodachrome. I am glad to know all people here could celebrate this icon.

2010 was a bit chaotic for my projects, but I enjoyed being in this kind of hurry until the very last day, when I sent my last rolls to Dwayne's. Thrilling until the end. Funny to see my slides back from Lausanne, some dated dec '10, some jan '11, what for a backlog... Now, waiting for my last invoice from Dwayne's and then... a lot of fun to watch all my slides and movies is coming !

Let's go on to celebrate here. Good luck for your book and other projects, Dan.

R.I.P. Kodachrome
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM

etp095 is on a distinguished road

thank's to you Dan for this site.without it,i would never have shoot Kodachrome.I discovered your site before the discontinuation of Kodachrome,early 2009.I never even knew the paul simon song was about the film,i've never really paid attention to what songs mean.my parents never shot slides,so i never shot any,but i do have a Nikon (f2),that i used for the better part of 17 years.still have that camera,and quite a few more that i have been buying in the last 2 years.i shot Kodachrome almost exclusively with a Leica m7,and a 35mm summicron v4.

thank's to you Dan and Kodak

good luck on your book as well.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM

dmr is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reports, Dan. I know that quite a few of us have been following with keen interest.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Dan_KR64 has disabled reputation

I'm up, rested, warm in my little space capsule, time to hit the road! The creative freight train rides solely on momentum. If I only shoot one frame today at the edge of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, life will be perfect!

I have two nice pillows of left over Kodachrome film, 28 of KM-25, 42 of KR-64 and 35 of those were donated post 12/30/10.

Funny thing with KL-200 was I that I ran out early because I gave or sold most of mine to Jeff Jacobson for his wonderful project called "The Last Roll".
So when I was given 12 more rolls at the end of my project, it was really a nice full circle thing.

I have wonderful plans for the site so if you think Kodachrome or the site will go quiet....stick around, the real party is about to begin!

Kodachrome images on Flicker

Photo.net galleries
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM

lxdude is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Dan. For everything.
Thanks Kodak and Kodachrome for giving me decades of sharp, beautiful color.

I haven't shot a single frame since I sent off my last. We've had beautiful days since New Year's, and every day I get the urge to go shoot, and then I'm reminded...

I guess it's just too soon.

I'm going to just do night shots for a while. I use Fuji for that because of the reciprocity characteristics. Though I still used K64 for brightly colored night scenes like neon and such.

But for daytime shots, like you, I'm seeing in Kodachrome. I'll adjust to using Elitechrome and E100 and sometimes Fuji, but right now it's just too soon.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM

ZoneV is on a distinguished road

Daniel Bayer, congratulations for seeing this project through completion of the shooting phase, roughing it over an intense year.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM

garyp is on a distinguished road

Dan, thanks very much for the update !