kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Very strange. I had no problem this am. I will have another look.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 PM

Okay then, let's try this one...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...eal-m-a.html:D

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 08-20-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 AM

For whatever reason, I cannot get the link to copy correctly. So, as an alternative, you should be able to bring up the article in the Bloomberg archive.
The item is dated 17 August 2011. As an alternative, the link for the article was posted on the APUG website. You can find it under industry news: look for the Kodak patent article.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
No, let's try this one (I fixed it in the quote above). You had a colon and a "D" at the end (after ".html") and that was the whole source of the problem. Once I deleted the garbage at the end so that ".html" was the last thing in the URL, it worked perfectly.

Last edited by sdkodachrome; 08-21-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
No, let's try this one (I fixed it in the quote above). You had a colon and a "D" at the end (after ".html") and that was the whole source of the problem. Once I deleted the garbage at the end so that ".html" was the last thing in the URL, it worked perfectly.
Thanks so much for the correction. I attribute the boo-boo to too much coffee and too little sleep (and maybe a 71 hour work week...).
Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM

cooltouch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
As I stated in an earlier post, it really gives one pause as to what is happening at Eastman Kodak.
Yep, and the folks drooling over control of Kodak's patents couldn't care less about whether or not it puts an end to Kodak's production of film-based products. Perhaps the best photographers could hope for would be that its film division would be spun off as a separate entity? Maybe it might even have a better chance of surviving if it were severely downsized and stripped down to a single focus, that is, film, paper, and chemistry and products used to exploit it. Or am I being overly hopeful?

You know, a frequent complaint heard by people who use scanners to digitize their film is that flatbed scanners are slow and the resolution is too low and dedicated ones like the Nikon LS-series are too expensive. There has been essentially no fundamental improvement in this technology in years. And there's no good reason for this, IMO. Kodak, being a maker of high-quality digital camera sensors, could shake up this field by introducing a scanner that uses a camera style sensor to duplicate film images instead of the time-consuming and low resolution ways it's done now. Developing a new scanner technology by itself may not be enough to bring Kodak out of its doldrums, but it would definitely add to the bottom line.

The received wisdom when it comes to scanners is that manufacturers are unwilling to spend money on R&D because it isn't a growth market, because of the decline in film use. I think this is a very myopic view. How many millions upon millions of negatives and slides are out there, waiting to be digitized? I see it as a huge and largely untapped market. Most of the cheaper film scanners are crap. And decent flat-bed scanners that do an okay job are not all that cheap. But they don't really offer a meaningfully high resolution. The really good scanners are expensive. So if Kodak could come up with the right product at the right price, they could bust the market wide open.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:56 AM

More discouraging words (?):

According to Lazard LLC (EK's advisor), several parties, interested in Kodak's patent portfolio, have signed NDAs (non-diclosure agreements). These NDA's allow the parties to investigate details of patents, in exchange for confidentiality of contents. According to EK CEO Antonio Perez, cash from the patent sale would be used to fund further efforts in "inkjet printers and other digital businesses."
(source: The Globe and Mail, Report on Business, B8, 31 August 2011)
So if this effort at funding produces some market gains for EK, will the sale of EK's film division be far off? And that said, would/could/should we in the photography community trust another party (which, presumably would not be one of the "biggies" i.e. Ilford or Agfa for b&w, Fuji or Agfa for color) to produce Kodak's products to the same standard? Playing Cassandra for a moment (?), are dark days ahead?

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 08-31-2011 at 11:59 AM.