kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 11-27-2011, 04:15 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road
Default Guess this forum's pretty much dead...

Guess this forum is more-or-less dead...very few postings now, and any ideas of reviving K-14 processing seem to have come to nothing. Fun while it lasted, but time to move on?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Guess this forum is more-or-less dead...very few postings now, and any ideas of reviving K-14 processing seem to have come to nothing. Fun while it lasted, but time to move on?
RichardE:

I'll be Pangloss: Revival of K14 is still an ongoing effort (check APUG for current updates). Following a short chat with PE, it is my understanding that the work continues. While the effort is, admittedly, taking longer than I expected, the individuals involved have not "thrown in the towel."
Given the ongoing additions to KP.com membership rolls, I would beg to differ on its alleged demise. My read, and admittedly I may be wrong on this,
is that there is still a considerable interest in Kodachrome (we are pushing toward 1100 members). Additional evidence: the stuff is still coming out of the woods and selling - and I seriously doubt that nostalgic types are the only ones interested...) Again, as I stated in an earlier post, I think we have a lot of folks waiting (and only waiting) for a word on resumption (or introduction of a new form of) processing. Time will tell. Nonetheless, I remain convinced that the interest is there (and not just because I have 140 rolls of the stuff sitting in my deepfreeze!).
For my part, next weekend I am going to sacrifice 4 rolls of KPR of uncertain ancestry (This is explained in an earlier post re processing anomalies re expired film whose previous storage conditions are unknown). To wit: They will be removed from my deepfreeze and immediately fed into the hungry jaws of my F5. The film will be rated at EI 12, and shot through either a Nikon O56 or R60 filter. Then the film be taken to my garage where it will sit atop a propane heater until I have time to process it (likely next February during the middle of our rainy season). The film will be processed with paper developer at an extremely high temperature (40C +). I will end up with either a piece of celluloid crap which cannot be printed or something (provided it had the requisite black border) that can be called art. Stay tuned: I will post the results on this site.
Concluding: keep the faith (dammit).

KR4myF2AS
Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Well, I hope you're right and that there may still be some real interest in Kodachrome matters generally. It is just that, despite the number of members here, new postings are down to a two-or-three a month, which, TBH, no longer seems worth the effort of checking regularly.

I check APUG fairly regularly, and haven't seen anything concrete there about a workable K14 revival...maybe I'm not looking in the right forum or thread?

But, like you, I have quite a few Kodachrome rolls of various types and vintages still in the freezer. However I've abandoned any hopes that they will ever be processed, and certainly not to the real "Kodachrome standard". It's one thing to get an image (and I enjoy experimenting with old and obsolete films myself), but quite another to consistently reproduce the unique Kodachrome color palette.

As to people buying Kodachrome, I watch it as a saved-search on Ebay, and have bought a few old films purely as collector's items for nostalgia. I have, however, also bid a few silly small amounts for more recent films on the off-chance (unsuccessfully) that no-one else would want them. So maybe, subconsciously, I've not totally given up!

Edit - Your ideas for the four rolls of K64 sound very Panglossian, or maybe Lomographian?

Last edited by RichardE; 11-28-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
RichardE:

I'll be Pangloss: Revival of K14 is still an ongoing effort (check APUG for current updates). Following a short chat with PE, it is my understanding that the work continues. While the effort is, admittedly, taking longer than I expected, the individuals involved have not "thrown in the towel."
Given the ongoing additions to KP.com membership rolls, I would beg to differ on its alleged demise. My read, and admittedly I may be wrong on this,
is that there is still a considerable interest in Kodachrome (we are pushing toward 1100 members). Additional evidence: the stuff is still coming out of the woods and selling - and I seriously doubt that nostalgic types are the only ones interested...) Again, as I stated in an earlier post, I think we have a lot of folks waiting (and only waiting) for a word on resumption (or introduction of a new form of) processing. Time will tell. Nonetheless, I remain convinced that the interest is there (and not just because I have 140 rolls of the stuff sitting in my deepfreeze!).
For my part, next weekend I am going to sacrifice 4 rolls of KPR of uncertain ancestry (This is explained in an earlier post re processing anomalies re expired film whose previous storage conditions are unknown). To wit: They will be removed from my deepfreeze and immediately fed into the hungry jaws of my F5. The film will be rated at EI 12, and shot through either a Nikon O56 or R60 filter. Then the film be taken to my garage where it will sit atop a propane heater until I have time to process it (likely next February during the middle of our rainy season). The film will be processed with paper developer at an extremely high temperature (40C +). I will end up with either a piece of celluloid crap which cannot be printed or something (provided it had the requisite black border) that can be called art. Stay tuned: I will post the results on this site.
Concluding: keep the faith (dammit).

KR4myF2AS
I must not be looking in the right places on APUG either. I haven't seen much progress posted since the first attempts at color. Oh man, I hope this takes off again.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Like KR4myF2AS I would beg to differ. I think lots of people are logging in occasionally - or even joining - just to see if someone might start processing again. Apart from that, and Dan's plans for a book and other projects, what is there to say? Maybe Dan has statistics to see how many people are still visiting.

I spent 2010 shooting Kodachrome in parallel with other slide films, and then 2011 shooting various slide films, including discontinued ones still available in stores and on the web, to see what would be an acceptable substitute. Maybe it would be worth while for some of us, who have done this, to post our conclusions to commemorate the first anniversary of the end of processing.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 PM

KevK is on a distinguished road
Default I'm one of those who just check in every 'so often'

I only have a couple of new rolls (last batch) and they will sit in the freezer for an indeterminate time. It would be nice if Kodak would license the chemistry to a specialty lab for developing and small scale production of new 'Kodachrome' but I'm not holding my breath on that. Anyway, I digress, the reason I keep checking in is for the community spirit. I moved to digital early but I still have a spot for film and especially Kodachrome.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

More cause for optimism, or a "market" in need of correction?

As is my wont, I checked in on eBay this morning (looking for some Leica accessories) and decided to take a quick peek at the activity in the Kodachrome market. As the youngsters say, OMG! To wit: Someone on the site (y***r) paid $106.50 for eight (8) rolls of KR (1563). Another individual (0***0) has bid up (as of 10am PST) 11 rolls of 3/2009 KR to $41.00. And even more astonishing are a couple of listings for complete bricks. A brick of 20 rolls of KR (35mm) has a "buy now" price of $195.00; similarly, a 14 roll package of 110 KR is listed at $180.00! Several small lots have starting bids in the usual $1.25 - $2.00 range. However, given the activity noted above....
So...am I missing something here? Has Kodachrome become a commodity? Are folks collecting to attempt to corner the market? Are others besides our friends at APUG (A_Caver and Neanderman, aided on occasion by PE) experimenting with alternative processes? Has Kodachrome become a cheap alternative for those who shoot 35mm black and white? Is nostalgia running rampant? Or, are there just a lot of optimistic folks out there waiting...
Old 12-23-2011, 03:27 PM

mopar_guy is on a distinguished road
Default Why buy Kodachrome?

There is a certain nostalgia of people yearning for better times. Maybe people just want to own a piece of history.
Dave
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Dan_KR64 has disabled reputation

It's pretty quiet, so I have plans in that regard. Lately, I have been watching the situation at Kodak closely. Give me a month or so, I am talking to my web guy...

Kodachrome images on Flicker

Photo.net galleries
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM

lxdude is on a distinguished road

Best wishes for the New Year, to everyone here!