kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 09-01-2014, 02:15 AM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default Life after Ektachrome

Lets discuss aslternative E6 film options to e100g and e100vs.

Film Ferrania is looking like it may eventually be the only company producing E6 films. We really all owe it to these guys if they can pull it off...
Old 09-02-2014, 07:16 AM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Life after Ektachrome...

I fear we'll soon have threads like "Life after Ektar" and "Life after Kodak" as well.

I hope Film Ferrania can pull it off and really do a great job. By analogy, as happy as many folks are that The Impossible Project is making film for Polaroid cameras, I never had a good experience with their film. I really hope Film Ferrania will not be like T.I.P.: producing a novelty, niche product that is a shadow of what the genuine article once was.

I like Ektar, but I don't like it as much as E100G or even E100VS. I can't take Velvia. I suppose that after E6 is finally gone, I'll go completely digital for color and continue some analog B&W. It's just not the same though... nothing looks "right" to me besides Kodachrome 64 (which I never got to shoot), Ektachrome 100G, and Panatomic-X.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Post E100G/VS (still working my way through a huge stash of both), I have sort of settled on Provia 100F for "people pictures" and Velvia 50 for everything else. My experience with the latter (yes, I was once one of its critics) is that it can be "tamed," if you will, by very judiciously choosing when you shoot (time of day and weather conditions). Insofar as any new E6 offering (s) is (are) concerned...I await our friends in Italy...with a guarded optimism...

Once E6 is extinct, I am done with color analogue period; the nod will go to digital.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Do any of ya'll have any experience with the Agfa E6 films or Rollei Digibase 200CR? Besides Fuji, these seem to be the only other E6 films available now.

The more I shoot Ektar and other CN films, the more I miss E100G, and consequently, the more I turn to the digital camera. At least with the digital I can run the images through my processing program and make it look reasonably similar to E100G, E100VS, Kodachrome, or any number of other films whose simulation is included in the software.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
Do any of ya'll have any experience with the Agfa E6 films or Rollei Digibase 200CR? Besides Fuji, these seem to be the only other E6 films available now.

The more I shoot Ektar and other CN films, the more I miss E100G, and consequently, the more I turn to the digital camera. At least with the digital I can run the images through my processing program and make it look reasonably similar to E100G, E100VS, Kodachrome, or any number of other films whose simulation is included in the software.
Im quite happy with the agfa E6, ive shot wittnerchrome 200, which is the same stuff, and cheaper than the rollei digibase.

I like the results, its more grainy, but still gives an overall better picture, it reminds me more of kodachrome, particuarly the vintage kodachrome which is really awesome!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
Im quite happy with the agfa E6, ive shot wittnerchrome 200, which is the same stuff, and cheaper than the rollei digibase.

I like the results, its more grainy, but still gives an overall better picture, it reminds me more of kodachrome, particuarly the vintage kodachrome which is really awesome!
Wittnerchrome??? I've never heard of this... could you possibly point me to where I could find it for sale online? Just ordered a couple of rolls of the Digibase 200 with some rewards points I had... can't wait to see how they turn out. I've read online where folks have said it is the closest in appearance to Kodachrome (I think I read to Kodachrome 200, but may be mistaken) of all the currently available films.

I figure I better find a good E6 film that I really and stock up very soon... one never knows how long these films will be in production. I now think the E6 chemistry will be available in some form or another for quite some time, but I doubt my favorite films will be in production the same length of time.

If it's really that good I'll have to stock up on it. I like to shoot in/from the shadows and low light, so the extra speed is nice, even at the expense of increased grain.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Wittnerchrome??? I've never heard of this... could you possibly point me to where I could find it for sale online? Just ordered a couple of rolls of the Digibase 200 with some rewards points I had... can't wait to see how they turn out. I've read online where folks have said it is the closest in appearance to Kodachrome (I think I read to Kodachrome 200, but may be mistaken) of all the currently available films.

I figure I better find a good E6 film that I really and stock up very soon... one never knows how long these films will be in production. I now think the E6 chemistry will be available in some form or another for quite some time, but I doubt my favorite films will be in production the same length of time.

If it's really that good I'll have to stock up on it. I like to shoot in/from the shadows and low light, so the extra speed is nice, even at the expense of increased grain.
Here is the link below, they are good to deal with, and the people there seem to have good english, they sent me a free sample of the stuff to shoot when they launched the product, infact, it was my idea they they took inboard, when i asked them if they could package it in 35mm canisters!
Before that, people were buying it off them for bulk loading, there was a demand for it to be packaged in 35mm canisters and i directed them to the APUG forum where people were discussing it.
http://wittner-cinetec.com/katalog/0...nbild.php#3016
Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 AM

I've just sent off my first roll of Rollei Digibase CR200 for processing. It languished in my freezer for a few months after exposure. Just couldn't seem to get it in the mail.

I'm down to 44 rolls of E 100VS/G and find myself using it more and more sparingly. Got a bunch of other Ektachromes/Elite Chrome in the freezer: EC 100, EC 400, E 200, E 160T, E 320T, E 1600P, but I just didn't connect with those films the way I did with E 100VS/G.

I hope the Rollei turns out well. It might be my replacement if it goes well. It's the least expensive E6 film out there now and I can't justify the exorbitant prices Ektachrome is going for now.

Still holding on to hope that Kittlegraphy will pop back in and give us an update. Would dearly love to see Ferrania get involved with manufacturing chemistry for the machine. This would be an expensive niche product, but if anyone can pull it off, they can!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:

pharmboycu: I have no direct experience with the Agfa E6 films myself, but looking in my father's archives ( I got drafted into the position of custodian after he passed away), I noticed that he shot a few rolls of the stuff in the early- to mid-1980s. Most of his shots were landscapes (he was an avid outdoorsman) and portraits. I am not sure if I would compare the palette to Kodachrome: I found the slides quite warm in tone, much warmer than his Kodachrome 64 (his preferred film) shots from the same period. That said, the Agfa emulsions may well have changed over time; I cannot say for certain because the most recent Agfa film Dad shot was, I believe, dated from 1986?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I've just sent off my first roll of Rollei Digibase CR200 for processing. It languished in my freezer for a few months after exposure. Just couldn't seem to get it in the mail.

I'm down to 44 rolls of E 100VS/G and find myself using it more and more sparingly. Got a bunch of other Ektachromes/Elite Chrome in the freezer: EC 100, EC 400, E 200, E 160T, E 320T, E 1600P, but I just didn't connect with those films the way I did with E 100VS/G.

I hope the Rollei turns out well. It might be my replacement if it goes well. It's the least expensive E6 film out there now and I can't justify the exorbitant prices Ektachrome is going for now.

Still holding on to hope that Kittlegraphy will pop back in and give us an update. Would dearly love to see Ferrania get involved with manufacturing chemistry for the machine. This would be an expensive niche product, but if anyone can pull it off, they can!
Yes i agree, Ferrania would be our best bet for producing kodachrome chemistry. When i put the idea forward to Dave Bias on the APUG forum, he was not against the idea and was open to the idea if we can give them more details, of course they have far more work on hand at present, but i firmly believe the future of colour photography now lies with them...