kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

While perhaps inevitable, this bit of news (Kodak today announced the discontinuation of its E6 remaining films) came far earlier than many of us had expected. Fortunately, acting in the interest of caution, I managed to stock up on E100G and E100VS (about 170 rolls in 35mm and 120) over the course of the past several months. While this should, I hope, be sufficient to see several projects through to completion, it leaves future transparency work at a dead end.

I have never much cared for Fuji's E6 offerings: to me (and many others, I am sure) Velvia looks cartoonish; Provia and Superia just look lifeless. So... at this juncture, it looks like, that after 33 years of shooting, my color analog work will come to an end sometime this year. At a personal level, the decision to discontinue is made all the more disappointing because of the short period of time I have had to get acquainted with the Ektachromes (September 2011 to the present). While I have been quite pleased with the results to date, I still do not feel that I have really "nailed" these films in terms of knowing them with the same familiarity I earlier had with Kodachrome. Once again, I find myself thinking that I was born about 30 years too late...

Tags
edwin land, instant film, kodachrome, kodachrome project, polaroid