kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default Do you mount your E6?

I have some E6 i want to develop, and want to know if its better to leave the filmstrips sleeved, or mount them as slides? is it easier to scan them as strips and do you get better image quality doing so?
TIA
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
I have some E6 i want to develop, and want to know if its better to leave the filmstrips sleeved, or mount them as slides? is it easier to scan them as strips and do you get better image quality doing so?
TIA
NZ: You will find it far more convenient to leave the film in strips for the purpose of scanning. It has been my (limited) experience that film in strips seems to lay somewhat flatter than film that has been mounted (possibly resulting in sharper edge-to-edge sharpness?). As well, by working with strips it is far easier to select the correct bracket (I assume that as a slide shooter you bracket your shots in some sort of +,metered,- fashion), slides are far less likely to be soiled with fingerprints and, most importantly, the slide is far less likely to be damaged when it is removed from its mount for scanning.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

I guess it depends on what you are going to do with them whether you mount them or not.

Agree with KR4myF2AS regarding scanning film to leave them in strips.

But if you are projecting them then they have to be mounted. If only firms developing slide films used GePe slide mounts. These are reusable and simply push together to close and can be easily opened to take the slide frame out.

Chris
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 AM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

I got my first roll of Elitechrome processed and scanned this week, I left them in strips, the photos turned out good, but i dont think they look as sharp as they should, judging by how the strips look held up to the light.
What sort of scanners do most photoshops use? Are they a high resolution flatbed type that the strips are placed in?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 AM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I got my first roll of Elitechrome processed and scanned this week, I left them in strips, the photos turned out good, but i dont think they look as sharp as they should, judging by how the strips look held up to the light.
What sort of scanners do most photoshops use? Are they a high resolution flatbed type that the strips are placed in?
I did invest in an expensive film scanner but like you nzoomed I was disappointed in the lack of sharpness. Having this experience quite put me off using it!

Chris
Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
TIA
I am embarrassed to admit that I am now in the habit of shooting E6 for posterity and using my D800 (whenever possible) for making my duplicates. While this obviously doesn't solve the issue of making duplicates of my Kodachrome archive, it does save me a considerable amount of time and money with my current work (my black and white "archival" shooting is done on Pan F+/FP4+/Tri-X/HP5+).