kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM

rev66vette is on a distinguished road
Default Developing Kodachrome to black & white

Hello all......It's been quite a while since I posted anything here and it's good to see that there are still some contributors around. Anyway, it's recently come to my attention that Blue Moon Camera and machine, of Portland Oregon, http://www.bluemooncamera.com/ offers a service to develop Kodachrome into black and white prints. They charge a nominal fee of $7.50 in a "first stage" to develop a roll, and another $7.50 to make the prints. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this, how it works with the different speed films, or if it is even worth-while.......I do have some rolls left and would be willing to experiment. Any thoughts?

Regards:

Rich Onorevole
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Is this a new service that Blue Moon is offering? Most of the folks I have talked to, who have opted for the B&W route, seem keen on Film Rescue International. FR has been doing recovery for quite some time; their prices, however, can be higher than those quoted by Blue Moon. That said, they do provide a chart on their site indicating, from past experience, the likelihood of success "rescuing" various emulsions - including the various iterations of Kodachrome.
Blue Moon's process does seem straight up. i,e, an evaluation of the quality of the image before deciding whether or not to print. If you are settled on B&W - as opposed to waiting for our "Mad Scientists" to reach their Eureka! moment - then I would say that you would not be taking any great risk in giving Blue Moon a shot. If the results are good, I may do the same: I have four rolls of early '90s KR whose previous storage conditions are unknown; I may shoot them as B&W rather than risk disappointment as off-color chromes.
If you decide to opt for the B&W route, how about posting some of the results?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Uffen is on a distinguished road

B&W prints? I was hoping for b&w slides like the old Agfa Scala I liked so much.
So, does the Kodachrome come out like a negative? Or is it a B&W positive that they impose another step on to get a print?

Last edited by Uffen; 10-05-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM

rev66vette is on a distinguished road
Default Processing Kodachrome as B&W

Sorry for the delay in responding..... Blue Moons site states that they will develop the roll in 2 stages, as a normal B&W roll(cost $7.50) and then "inspect" the film to see if any images are present. If there are images, they will "process" the film for another $7.50. The ay they speak, one can assume that they use the two step process as if everyone was submitting some long lost rolls, of which there may or may not be anything worthy of developing. They mention "salvaging" of the images........my question is to whether it would be worth it at $15.00 a roll to develop some of the Kodachrome many of us have stored away to black and white? I'm willing to give it a shot.......
Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM

spyra78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev66vette View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding..... Blue Moons site states that they will develop the roll in 2 stages, as a normal B&W roll(cost $7.50) and then "inspect" the film to see if any images are present. If there are images, they will "process" the film for another $7.50. The ay they speak, one can assume that they use the two step process as if everyone was submitting some long lost rolls, of which there may or may not be anything worthy of developing. They mention "salvaging" of the images........my question is to whether it would be worth it at $15.00 a roll to develop some of the Kodachrome many of us have stored away to black and white? I'm willing to give it a shot.......
i think u should just buy a developing tank and chemicals for bw and give it a try at home. its as easy to get the kodachrome as a bw, as regular bw negative and It will b muuuch cheaper as u can easyly use it quite few times.
i wouldnt rather pay 7.50 for developing...
Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyra78 View Post
i think u should just buy a developing tank and chemicals for bw and give it a try at home. its as easy to get the kodachrome as a bw, as regular bw negative and It will b muuuch cheaper as u can easyly use it quite few times.
i wouldnt rather pay 7.50 for developing...
I concur. If you have made the decision to process Kodachrome as a black and white image, why not do it yourself? Save some money and maybe discover and create something new. Need some additional information? See Martin Baumgarten's posting of 28 July 2011 on http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00XvHp. Other regular contributors to www.photo.net offer a number of "variations on a theme." i.e. removal of the RemJet backing, ISO settings, different developers, etc. As well, if you are really information hungry, there are further sources available - just Google "Processing Kodachrome as Black and White," and start reading!
As I stated in a recent post, I am going the black and white route with a couple of rolls of PKR of uncertain ancestry/storage. I will post my efforts sometime in the spring. For the balance of my "good" stock - all sitting in -20C storage, I am waiting, ever so patiently, for some word of progress from a couple of the "mad scientists" who post (infrequently) on APUG.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 AM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffen View Post
B&W prints? I was hoping for b&w slides like the old Agfa Scala I liked so much.
So, does the Kodachrome come out like a negative? Or is it a B&W positive that they impose another step on to get a print?
If you want B+W slides like Scala, you're going to be better off just getting a conventional B+W negative film and reversal processing it (by, say, sending it off to DR5 labs or using Kodak's TMAX reversal kit) than you are trying to get a B+W slide from Kodachrome. The same probably also goes for B+W negative processing. I think this negative process for Kodachrome is mainly intended for those who have priceless images shot on Kodachrome which they forgot to develop before the deadline. But if you want to go out and shoot B+W slides tomorrow (rather than develop an old roll of Kodachrome with pics of your deceased grandparents), just get yourself some easy to find Tri-X, TMAX, HP5+, Delta 100, etc, and send it off to DR5 labs for processing. If you are looking for the 'B+W Kodachrome look', reversal processed Tri-X and Plus-X (if you can get it) look ALOT like 'B+W Kodachrome 200 and 64' (respectively).

Last edited by matt8314; 01-31-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 PM

Default For those who have reached the point of exhaustion and/or desperation:

Tired of waiting for any further word re: "K14 processing" (by whatever means)? Attached is a link to a flicker page with some of the efforts of the more adventuresome among us:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyetwis...l-1608796@N23/
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Interesting link, there seems quite a lot of useful info on Flickr for processing as B&W, with some usable results. I've given up on anything practical now appearing on K14, so I may decide to use up my remaining rolls for similar experimentation.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 PM

Additional sources of information re "Kodachrome in black and white" are available on the APUG website. For the unaware, this is where all the film devotees congregate. A few neo-Luddites here, but all-in-all a group of extremely knowledgable, generous and intellectually curious types. As a quick search readily discloses, "Kodachrome" continues to elicit more than a passing interest here.