kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 PM

ZoneV is on a distinguished road
Default What photographic medium are YOU going to use after Kodachrome?

I've been giving this some thought lately...

I'm really enjoying this living on the edge thing, using a historic photographic medium that is teetering on the brink.

So I was thinking, trying to decide what medium I want to take up after the end of Kodachrome. I started thinking about this two years ago.

And little by little, I started to come up with something in my unconscious mind.

It went through my subconscious, and now I'm fully conscious of what medium I want to take up after Kodachrome.

Back in 3rd grade, I did a biography report and presentation on Edwin Land, the creator of Polaroid film and inventer of the polarizing filter...and among other things, a theorist on the topic of color vision.

A couple of weeks ago, I learned that the man who was my chemistry professor's graduate advisor, was Edwin Land's colleague. The two of them were responsible for the invention of Polaroid film.

So here's the idea: if, and this is a big if...if The Impossible Project, Harman (Ilford), and Polapremium are able to once again reintroduce 8x10 inch peel apart film that is similar to the one Polaroid used to make, I will make that my new medium. It's unclear at the moment whether or not they will be able to do this though, because the integral instant films are their priority. From what I understand, the nice thing about the Polaroid sheet film was that you could process and save the negative and make prints from it. Apparently the negative of Fuji's equivalent instant sheet film isn't stable; it fades quickly (like in minutes), and is meant to be discarded. I read that the machines used to make 4x5 inch Polaroid film were dismantled, but the 8x10 film machines were not...so this means we might possibly see a new 8x10 inch black and white instant film in the next couple of years. A lot depends on how profitable the companies are at selling their new integral films.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll be taking up large format photography if I can find a good camera for a good price.

So yeah, a lot of ifffs.

For those who want the details on this "Impossible" project: http://www.the-impossible-project.com/
They are basically "reinventing" (using past knowledge) Polaroid film that is going to be similar to the former Polaroid film.

So, what's YOUR medium of choice going to be after Kodachrome? Hopefully something with a lot of history behind it...

Last edited by ZoneV; 11-19-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM

marke is on a distinguished road

After Kodachrome, I will most likely call it quits on slides. Until last year, I hadn't shot any Kodachrome since the early '80s.

Plans for the future include:

- Get my 1912 Conley 4x5 in working order

- Get my full-sized darkroom in working order

- Try to start a serious budget for an M9 (which might change my mind about the darkroom, as long as I can always use the one at the local college)

- Try to start a serious budget for a Canon 500/4 L IS and get back into wildlife photography
Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 AM

uwphotoer is on a distinguished road

For me it's going to be really difficult to replace Kodachrome as I am shooting with 35 mm underwater cameras, and making Cibachrome prints myself, and have been for 20 years..... so I'm going to have to test a bunch of different slide films to see what looks anything close to Kodachrome. In the interim I will just keep my head in the sand and continue to shoot the Kodachrome I have till the end of 2010, and hope that at that point something will rise up and show me it is the way.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:38 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

It's still about a year away (and a lot more could change by then), but at this point, I expect I will continue to do primarily 35mm slide photography, but not at quite the hectic pace of the last couple years (when it was driven by knowing that Kodachrome was first likely, then certain, to go away soon, and thus instead of balancing my trips between photography and other interests, I chose only photography).

But not knowing what else will appear or disappear in the next year, it's still a bit too early for me to settle on a replacement. I have to use up 100ish Kodachrome rolls first, which should last me at least through mid-summer, hopefully somewhat longer.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM

garyp is on a distinguished road

I'll probably try out some various slide films; just to see if I still don't really like any of'em.
If I can swing it, I'd really like to get a Leica DMR for my R8.
But I really don't know
Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

For slides, probably Fuji Astia....I liked the few trial rolls I used, before I started on this last 18 months of Kodachrome, but will need to see how it performs in more detail, and also how it scans. Hopefully there might be something else suitable in the remaining selection of other Fuji and Kodak slide film to, if I don't get on with Astia.

Not been doing much colour neg either...family and "record" shots get taken on digital, so there's the new Ektar to try there.

And I look forwad getting back to more B&W, 35mm and MF....which is "on the back burner" while I'm concentrating on Kodachrome next year. I'm still taking some B&W, but have not really much time for printing at the moment.
Don't think that I'll get bored.

Last edited by RichardE; 12-08-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Hellashot is on a distinguished road

I'm trying out Astia and Velvia 100F on a trip I'm about to take. I currently shoot Velvia 50 along with Kodachrome for slides, though I'm down to just 2 rolls of Kodachrome, 1 of which will be used on this trip.

It'll probably be either Astia or one of the Velvia varieties for slide film after I cannot get Kodachrome at a decent price. But I'll also be shooting Ektar 100 because of it's wide dynamic range and exposure latitude and kodak b+w films.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 PM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

I have 50 rolls of KR64 to expose before the deadline. This may be enough for what I plan to do with slide film.

I have two digital cameras that I currently use, a Nikon D200 and a Canon G9. These are two very different cameras and both satisfy my needs on most photographic excursions. I have been impressed by their performances so I will still use them.

Regarding film I would still love to use my OM system post Kodachrome but I am undecided as to which film to use. One things for sure is that film will be very occassionally used. If for example I need super wide angle shots or super telephoto shots for a project. However, I have found that the Zuiko 28mm lens does not have the distortion of the 18-70mm Nikon zoom and the lens used on the G9 at the "same" focal length.

One thing worries me is that whatever slide film I chose next will be E6 processing. I have found that the number of companies offering this service in the UK has lessened and the costs have raised! This aspect could have impacts on if I use the film route.

Cheers Chris
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

I just like shooting slides. Probably stick with Kodak's Ektachrome 100G.

I intend to try Kodak Elite Chrome 100 as well. It seems warmer than E 100G.

I also prefer the lower ISO films. On my FE, the highest shutter speed is 1/1000. I can't get used to the idea of using an ND filter. I've tried Velvia 50 before, and gave up before learning if I could lessen the color saturation or control the color balance. It's not my taste.

Guess I'm a niche in the market. I have never had a digital camera. My last big purchase was a Gitzo and two heads. Shows you how murky my niche is.

Last edited by Brian Kim; 11-20-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 PM

mopar_guy is on a distinguished road

I want to split time between black and white and maybe move on to Elite Chrome.

Tags
edwin land, instant film, kodachrome, kodachrome project, polaroid