kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 11-28-2009, 06:33 PM

aeyb701 is on a distinguished road

I will resume shooting a block of 20 rolls of 1999 Royal Gold 25 color print film I got on eBay. The first roll was very encouraging.
In 4x5 I have a bunch of frozen Polaroid 55 P/N B&W sheet film and Fuji FP100C. The latter is much better than the now-obsolete Polacolor, and is still made.
I will also try some of the new Ektar 100 in 35mm and 120.
Jon Archibald
Old 11-28-2009, 07:45 PM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road

When it comes to film, I will probably go with an E6 film like E100G. However, I wonder how much longer films like E100G will be around. With all the slide films going bye-bye these days, I have a feeling that it will be all about digital for me within a few years (I have no interest in C41).
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 AM

LeadMan67 is on a distinguished road

I was looking at slides over the T-Giving holiday taken with both Provia 100F and Kodachrome and will likely stick with the Fuji product in the future.

Kodachrome isn't the same film it used to be. We were looking at old family pictures taken in the early 1950s (Kodachrome - of course) taken with a Koday Pony. Very nice (at least the ones that turned out) and am going to have them scanned.

Provia is a very nice film - less contrasty and finer grain than modern Kodachrome, plus a little faster, plus it doesn't turn to mud on a cloudy day. Color rendition is somewhat different but not in a bad way as it is fairly neutral. It doesn't have the hideous, unrealistic colors of Velvia.

I miss the old stuff (K25) but there is no going back. Even though it was slow, it was very good to work with. Modern K64 isn't the same stuff.

Only about 8 rolls of K64 left. I have a roll of 100G laying around right now and will give that a try. I'm looking at a good quality medium format camera to play around with (Mamiya RZ67) to see what it can do with Provia and Ektachrome.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 PM

hujev is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'll be a little relieved after a 4-5 years of focusing on kodachrome. Will feel a bit freer. As always I'll look for old, well-stored emulsions (like my favo(u)rite 1981/84 EPR-64!!), but also the modern portrait emulsions, the new Ektar (pending my results this year which I haven't had time to look over), peh. some of the fujis (bless them for also being among the few still supporting and even developing films) though anywhere reds/oranges/yellows meets blues/greens I'll avoid! Will go also for B/Ws like HP5, maybe try the 'rollei's, others. Shoot the rest of the Pan-X I got. I guess there's just a ton of possibilities now for 35mm film, and I will roll [pun intentional] in this emultive field of daises knowing that, in a larger context than Kodachrome's demise, we will never be here again.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:02 AM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

It's funny how Kodak suggested Ektar as one possible substitution for Kodachrome. If you're scanning, it might be worth considering, but I use Kodachrome for viewing as (stereo) slides. Negative films are not an option for me.

At a friend's urging, I tried some of the E100 emulsions, but so far haven't found anything I like as much as Astia 100F. I've been using that for a couple of years already for wedding stereos, as I didn't want to establish a "look" with Kodachrome figuring it was not long for this world. I kept shooting Kodachrome for my personal stereos, sometimes supplimenting it with Astia. And, especially when projected, most can't tell the difference.

It's a compromise I can live with, but I'll always be reminded it IS a compromise.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Melanger is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking quite a bit about this question. I have no plans to give up on film, although nothing I've recently shot comes even remotely close to Kodachrome. This morning I was at B&H (whose film counter has significantly shrunk) and bought two rolls of Ektar 100--I'll let everyone know what I think of the results. I might consider shooting medium format. I'll do my best to keep an open mind.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 PM

i40west is on a distinguished road

I'm going to try Portra in all its variants, and Ektar. I have a roll of each here, and just shot the 400nc, but haven't yet developed it. I'm not looking for something that looks like Kodachrome, because that's a fool's errand, just for something I like.

C-41 is easier to shoot, has more range, and is easier to process than E-6. But I'm scanning my film, I don't care about projection, so there's that.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM

katarchaea is on a distinguished road

I'll be returning to the Fujichrome family, although I do mean on trying out Ektar and the E-series family as well. I figure Ektachrome deserves a chance before I write it off completely...In the mean time I have a few rolls of KM 135 to shoot, and 8 rolls of frozen KR for my Pentax 110!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM

dmr is on a distinguished road

Kodachrome is really a special-occasion film for me. When I run out I'll just not do it, if that makes any sense. I normally shoot color negative film. For transparencies when I want color that doesn't sucker-punch you like an explosion in a paint factory, I'll probably use Astia.

Last edited by dmr; 12-17-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Do I need a reason?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 AM

chris00nj is on a distinguished road

I think I'm going to try some more medium format with my "new" Rolleiflex.

I'll likely start with Ektachrome 100G for people and Velvia 50 or Ektachrome 100VS for landscapes, but I'll try others as well.

Tags
edwin land, instant film, kodachrome, kodachrome project, polaroid