kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 AM

marcus is on a distinguished road
Default Why are people still buying Kodachrome on Ebay???

I just went out on Ebay to see if anyone was still selling Kodachrome—just out of curiosity. To my surprise (and horror?) several people have bought Kodachrome in the last couple of days.... $5 a roll for long expired film with no box.

Is there a secret cult of B&W negative Kodachrome shooters out there that I don't know about?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Some discussion about this going on already in another thread (which started off about something else, but got onto the eBay subject):

http://www.kodachromeproject.com/for...03&postcount=6
Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default Buying Kodachrome after the fact...

I would go with the assumption that some folks either just want a piece of classic Americana or else the K-lab rumors have reached a far wider audience than forum users realize.
Given the prices people are paying (a current bid of $76.00 for five rolls of
expired KM; $120.00 asking price for 10 rolls of 9/10 KR) it seems doubtful that buyers are looking to shoot (sacrifce) the film as black and white.
As well, the individual selling the KM has sent emails to bidders stating that Kodachrome processsing ended on 30 December; two of the three lots of KR up for auction have the same information stated explicitly on their respective ads. There again, maybe some folks just don't read the fine print...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:13 PM

hujev is on a distinguished road

Yes, really weird, and I keep wondering (have been doing periodic page saves of the kodachrome listings for future reference).... I bet it's the clueless who don't really know what they're doing but are caught up in some need to get 'retro' stuff. Even if stocking up, clearly it'll be far, farfarcheaper in just a short while...
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Buying Kodachrome after the fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hujev View Post
Yes, really weird, and I keep wondering (have been doing periodic page saves of the kodachrome listings for future reference).... I bet it's the clueless who don't really know what they're doing but are caught up in some need to get 'retro' stuff. Even if stocking up, clearly it'll be far, farfarcheaper in just a short while...
Oh no, I am having a dark moment: I just took a quick look at the prices on Ebay. Maybe I should take some of my boxed and frozen 11/10 KR, 09/02 KM, 11/98 PKR and 03/08 KL and put them up for auction. Is it ethically wrong to take advantage of the misinformed, the uninformed or those afflicted with a pathalogical need to engage in one-upmanship (i.e. "bidding wars")?
I'm going to mull this one over for a while...
Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM

mrb7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Oh no, I am having a dark moment: I just took a quick look at the prices on Ebay. Maybe I should take some of my boxed and frozen 11/10 KR, 09/02 KM, 11/98 PKR and 03/08 KL and put them up for auction. Is it ethically wrong to take advantage of the misinformed, the uninformed or those afflicted with a pathalogical need to engage in one-upmanship (i.e. "bidding wars")?
I'm going to mull this one over for a while...
You too, huh?

I've got a whole unopened brick of 120!! Still in the cellophane.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM

dmr is on a distinguished road

You can sell ANYTHING on Ebay! (Or rather find somebody to buy anything.)

Hey, maybe now you can truly call it "r@re".

Last edited by dmr; 01-10-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Default Ebay bidding

Just checked Ebay several minutes ago (10 Jan. 2011 at 1:53 pm MDT) and found a bid of $36.00 for 2 rolls of 1991 vintage KM (36exp)! No mention in the listing of the end (?) of K14 processing. It is getting more difficult to pass up the opportunity - and list some of my "leftover stash" - and take advantage of some of these folks who have just too much money...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Possibly there are people out there who still want to experiment?

We might think this illogical, but I've been looking at a pack of 20-year-outdated Orwochrom on Ebay. The formulae for processing this are available, and it seems quite feasable to attempt....I could easily be tempted, just for the h*** of it . It probably wouldn't work all that well, but the only thing which stops me is lack of time.

I wouldn't try with Kodachrome, of course, due to the complexities, but I can understand someone who wanted to have a go!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM

kodakrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Just checked Ebay several minutes ago (10 Jan. 2011 at 1:53 pm MDT) and found a bid of $36.00 for 2 rolls of 1991 vintage KM (36exp)! No mention in the listing of the end (?) of K14 processing. It is getting more difficult to pass up the opportunity - and list some of my "leftover stash" - and take advantage of some of these folks who have just too much money...
It is an open market and why people are buying is none of the seller's business. As far as you are concerned, if the merchandise is delivered then you have done your deed. It looks like now is the time to sell.