Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 AM

cbojanower is on a distinguished road
Default Kodak ends Ektachrome

Well I guess there still is Fujichrome

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ome-Kodachrome
Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Thankfully I don't rely on photography as more than one of my hobbies. So I've decided to give up on Kodak's problems. As an old friend of mine said, there's enough real problems in life to worry about, without inventing any more.

Sad to see Ektachrome going, but I've just had a great "photographic" day out....some good pics on HP4+ (well, I'm pleased with them!), a few MF color negs of interesting buildings, and some shots on a 14-year-outdated disposable camera (just to see what happens!). Plus a few digital "record" shots of some gardens, just for ideas.

I'm more than happy if I can continue to do that. And, as you say, there's Fujichrome, at least for now.

Last edited by RichardE; 03-02-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:19 AM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbojanower View Post
Well I guess there still is Fujichrome

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ome-Kodachrome

WHAT!!! this seems hard to believe!
First, they ditch kodachrome, and now they are ditching all their E-6 films too???
They made a big thing about them releasing some new films and wanting to continue providing film products when kodachrome ceased.
I think Kodak's days are numbered, they made a big thing about Ektachrome as a great alternative.

I think i better get my hands on some soon and find an SLR camera fast so i can take some photos!
I havnt used film in ages.

It looks like its still available as motion picture formats, so can be used as 8mm, 16mm and 35mm.
This means it should be entirely possible to buy 35mm motion picture stock and roll it onto 35mm cannisters to be used in a regular 35mm camera, but of course the ISO speeds may be different, so dont know what the results would be like.

Last edited by nzoomed; 03-03-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM

cbojanower is on a distinguished road

As you said they made such a big deal about Ektachrome being a substitute for Kodachrome. Makes you wonder when they actually produced the last run of Ektachrome. Is it going to be every time a film get to low enough in supply that a new run would be required that it gets cut?

I know through this bankruptcy they have claimed film still is profitable, but I wonder how true that is. Pretty much doubting anything I hear of of their mouths these days
Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbojanower View Post
As you said they made such a big deal about Ektachrome being a substitute for Kodachrome. Makes you wonder when they actually produced the last run of Ektachrome. Is it going to be every time a film get to low enough in supply that a new run would be required that it gets cut?

I know through this bankruptcy they have claimed film still is profitable, but I wonder how true that is. Pretty much doubting anything I hear of of their mouths these days
I think film is becoming a niche market, and i dont think Kodak has recognised this, i think they could have increased the prices and photographers still would have bought it.

Fuji seems to manage OK though
But even if fuji are selling their films at a loss, the company is doing far better than kodak in alot of ways, as their digital products are great.
I cant think of any decent digital camera that Kodak has.

I wonder how long E6 films will be around for?
It seems sad if E6 photography will be a thing of the past very soon.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Ouch... I'm still dreaming of the day Kodachrome processing in color is available again and now this.

I seriously wonder how long we will have for E6 processing in general. I know it won't go away completely anytime soon since folks can develop it at home.

I have a large stash of Ektachrome(s) and I wonder how long I have until this becomes a "shoot it while you can develop it in color" situation?

John
Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
I have a large stash of Ektachrome(s) and I wonder how long I have until this becomes a "shoot it while you can develop it in color" situation?
All you have to wonder about is how long you can develop it in perfect color. Unlike Kodachrome, Ektachrome can be cross-processed with C-41 chemistry (officially only for color negative films), resulting in color that's "off" (some people do it intentionally to get that effect), but still color.

So it's not a situation like Kodachrome where the lack of correct chemistry and process results in just black and white.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 PM

can anyone advise me on what to do regarding obtaining some ektachrome film?
I want to get some before the stocks run out, i can get it on ebay, but want to know the cheapest place to buy it.
No retailers here in New Zealand stock the stuff.
I think i will get rid of some of my kodachrome film and stock up with ektachrome and keep it frozen.
I want to get another SLR camera and start shooting some slides.
I used to have a nikon f-401, and when that packed up about 8 years ago, i went and got a digital camera.
I may look at getting something like a pentax spotmatic, i also want to get a view master camera and play around with some 3D.
I want to shoot some E6 before its too late and i may shoot some kodachrome and freeze it until it can again be possibly processed.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

You may first want to check your country's duty schedule and check shipping costs, but I would suggest B&H Photo of New York. I have dealt with these folks exclusively for my film supplies for the past several years and have found them to have about the lowest prices around. Cost-wise, these folks beat local prices by 35 - 55 percent depending on the particular film stock ordered. As well, they have a high churn with their film so you can be assured of freshness. I generally order $300.00 to $500.00 worth of film at a time so that shipping charges from NYC to Vancouver become essentially negligible.

Processing-wise, I continue to use Dwayne's, and will continue to do so as long as I shoot E6. I freeze my film immediately after shooting and then ship it off when I have accumulated enough film to make the journey via UPS/Fedex cost-effective.

Re K-lab: Dan agreed to try to contact Kittlegraphy re the status of the machine; as of this posting, I am awaiting word. Like others, I have a stash waiting to be shot (a large accumulation of PKM, KM, PKR, KR and KL occupying a corner of my freezer). Looking in at ebay from time to time - and seeing $10.00 to $12.00/roll that folks (recently) are paying for expired Kodachrome, I find myself sorely tempted to sell some...

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 03-10-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
You may first want to check your country's duty schedule and check shipping costs, but I would suggest B&H Photo of New York. I have dealt with these folks exclusively for my film supplies for the past several years and have found them to have about the lowest prices around. Cost-wise, these folks beat local prices by 35 - 55 percent depending on the particular film stock ordered. As well, they have a high churn with their film so you can be assured of freshness. I generally order $300.00 to $500.00 worth of film at a time so that shipping charges from NYC to Vancouver become essentially negligible.

Processing-wise, I continue to use Dwayne's, and will continue to do so as long as I shoot E6. I freeze my film immediately after shooting and then ship it off when I have accumulated enough film to make the journey via UPS/Fedex cost-effective.

Re K-lab: Dan agreed to try to contact Kittlegraphy re the status of the machine; as of this posting, I am awaiting word. Like others, I have a stash waiting to be shot (a large accumulation of PKM, KM, PKR, KR and KL occupying a corner of my freezer). Looking in at ebay from time to time - and seeing $10.00 to $12.00/roll that folks (recently) are paying for expired Kodachrome, I find myself sorely tempted to sell some...
Thanks for that info, i will follow those leads, we only have 2 labs processing E6 film in NZ now, one of them has only just restarted processing, bring the number back up to two.
Dwaynes is the cheapest place for processing Super8 film as far as im aware, and i will be sending my E100d cartridges to them for all my super 8 processing, i just hope that kodak continues producing Super8 film for some time yet.

I probably will sell off most of my kodachrome and just keep a handful of rolls for myself.