kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
I would suggest B&H Photo of New York. I have dealt with these folks exclusively for my film supplies for the past several years and have found them to have about the lowest prices around.
I guess you haven't tried ordering in the past couple weeks, since the end-of-life announcement. B&H immediately boosted prices by $2 a roll (to $10.something), while Adorama (www.adorama.com) and Calumet (www.calumet.com) didn't (still $8.something). Calumet is at this moment possibly out of E100G. (I'm speaking of 35mm Ektachrome here. Prices and availability for other sizes may vary.)

You can also order film (not just processing) from Dwayne's. However, if you do it on a printed-out order form, you (a) can't lock in the printed price, and (b) can't know if they will have it in stock at the time of your order. So I would only recommend this if iit's too hard to order E100G from a US website from outside the US. (At any rate, Dwayne's only sells E100G, not E100VS, and charges $9.something for it today on the order form I just looked at.)

Btw, related to which to order (or which to order more of), a while back you posted this in a different thread::

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS
I am on holidays the week of 20 February and will travel to Calgary via Jasper and Banff National Parks. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I will load up a bunch of the A12s with E100G and E100VS and shoot simultaneously. For edification, I will post here about 10 days later.
Were you able to make that trip and do those comparisons?

Last edited by sdkodachrome; 03-10-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: 35mm clarificaiton
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
All you have to wonder about is how long you can develop it in perfect color. Unlike Kodachrome, Ektachrome can be cross-processed with C-41 chemistry (officially only for color negative films), resulting in color that's "off" (some people do it intentionally to get that effect), but still color.

So it's not a situation like Kodachrome where the lack of correct chemistry and process results in just black and white.
I think that Fuji would ensure that E6 processing is available in some way while they continue to manufacture the films, and perhaps up to the expiry date of the final batches sold. (As did Kodak with Kodachrome).

After that it would be down to the smaller makers, who (unless recoating started somewhere) have seem to then have only the Agfa repacked stocks of aerial-type films to draw on. Obviously the sales and appeal of those products is limited, and could become uneconomic. And, again, possible production of small E6 kits might be unviable, while not everyone wants to do DIY mixing from raw chemicals. (I've done that in the past for the old Orwo films...time-consuming and fiddly, and not really worth it unless you're recovering an old film, or just enjoy experimenting.)

Not being pessimistic, and would love to be wrong! And I think we're OK for a few years yet even on the above scenario!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

No luck on this trip; a bust photographically-speaking. With four straight days of snow (and rain!) I spent most of my time skiing and snow-shoeing.That said, I am on holidays the week of 18 March, so I am going to give it another go. And, as promised, I will post the results...weather permitting!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

SD, Thanks for the "heads-up" on the Ektachrome at Adorama: I just ordered another 50 rolls of E100G and 10 of E100VS. I may do the same again shortly if the price there remains constant. As a Canadian, I cannot complain, however, even with the B&H price; their's is still about 30 - 40 per cent lower than local prices. The only "benefit," if you will, that we have up here, is that we can still get Fuji Astia in 35mm size (albeit at $15.99 CDN/roll!!!).
Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
SD, Thanks for the "heads-up" on the Ektachrome at Adorama: I just ordered another 50 rolls of E100G and 10 of E100VS. I may do the same again shortly if the price there remains constant. As a Canadian, I cannot complain, however, even with the B&H price; their's is still about 30 - 40 per cent lower than local prices. The only "benefit," if you will, that we have up here, is that we can still get Fuji Astia in 35mm size (albeit at $15.99 CDN/roll!!!).

The price on Adorama is good, although the price of the shipping is nearly as much as the film itself!
I can get it off ebay rather cheaply, i nearly bidded on an auction for 10 rolls that was going cheap, but was stored at room temperature and expires this month.
I think i would rather get some fresh stock if possible, i was keen to try elitechrome that was discontinued only recently, but am unsure to go for 100g or 100vs, it seems 100g is more popular, and probably is because its colours are more natural.
I also see some 200d on ebay and dont know if its worth experimenting with it or not.
Either way, i have some kodachrome that im keen to swap for anyone who wants to offload some ektachrome.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
The price on Adorama is good, although the price of the shipping is nearly as much as the film itself!
That's if you're buying only a few rollls. The shipping cost stays about the same as you increase the number of rolls per shipment. It does jump occasionally, but only a bit. So for 40 rolls my shipping charge was something around 11 dollars (within the US). That works out to less than 30 cents a roll. I'm sure it would be more internationally, but then everything is always more shipping internationally. But it would still follow the same pattern, that after a while it goes up very slowly (because shipping is initially based on minimum weight which is a lot of rolls).

Too bad nobody stocked it in New Zealand. For small quantities in the US, the solution to avoid shipping costs is a local photo equipment store. But then you often have to pay sales tax of close to 10%, which after a few rolls for us often gets more than shipping from an out-of-state online store (if the film prices are about the same).

(Shipping costs are always the problem online when what you're buying doesn't cost much but isn't "media".)

As I mentioned before, Calumet (www.calumetphoto.com) has about the same prices but you can see if their shipping to you is any better. Amazon.com has even lower prices but says it takes several weeks to fill the order, so I'm not sure about that.

And if shipping is the key for you, evaluate whether shipping is better enough at B&H or Freestyle or Dwayne's (yes, Dwayne's sells E100G, tho not E100VS) to offset the difference in price for the film itself.

... Btw, Adorama is temporarily out of stock of E100G 35mm. I got a "backordered" email for my order from Saturday morning.

Last edited by sdkodachrome; 03-13-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
That's if you're buying only a few rollls. The shipping cost stays about the same as you increase the number of rolls per shipment. It does jump occasionally, but only a bit. So for 40 rolls my shipping charge was something around 11 dollars (within the US). That works out to less than 30 cents a roll. I'm sure it would be more internationally, but then everything is always more shipping internationally. But it would still follow the same pattern, that after a while it goes up very slowly (because shipping is initially based on minimum weight which is a lot of rolls).

Too bad nobody stocked it in New Zealand. For small quantities in the US, the solution to avoid shipping costs is a local photo equipment store. But then you often have to pay sales tax of close to 10%, which after a few rolls for us often gets more than shipping from an out-of-state online store (if the film prices are about the same).

(Shipping costs are always the problem online when what you're buying doesn't cost much but isn't "media".)

As I mentioned before, Calumet (www.calumet.com) has about the same prices but you can see if their shipping to you is any better. Amazon.com has even lower prices but says it takes several weeks to fill the order, so I'm not sure about that.

And if shipping is the key for you, evaluate whether shipping is better enough at B&H or Freestyle or Dwayne's (yes, Dwayne's sells E100G, tho not E100VS) to offset the difference in price for the film itself.

... Btw, Adorama is temporarily out of stock of E100G 35mm. I got a "backordered" email for my order from Saturday morning.
Yes, international shipping costs alot, espccially from the US, although on ebay a seller was only charging $11 USD for a brick of film, compared to $59 that Adorama was going to charge. The highest shipping price on ebay was around $31 from another US seller.
This seller on ebay is located in hong kong and has a good price including free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130550135632...84.m1438.l2649

He also has e100vs at the same price.
Im probably going to go with this.

calumetphoto.com is the correct link for Calumet Photo, when i clicked on your link, it goes to some recipe site for kraft foods.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Adorama is temporarily out of stock of E100G 35mm. I got a "backordered" email for my order from Saturday morning.
That was very temporary. They projected a week or two, but by last night (Monday evening) I had an email that my 50 rolls had just shipped.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That was very temporary. They projected a week or two, but by last night (Monday evening) I had an email that my 50 rolls had just shipped.
Interesting that Kodak in the USA resupplied Adorama very quickly. Here in Britain, two online dealers, from whom I have bought Ektachrome, were told by Kodak on 14 March that Kodak would not be supplying them with any more. So, two weeks after Kodak said there was enough for 6 to 9 months (at the current level of use), they are out of stock here. Can anyone else outside the USA say if Kodak have run out in their countries? Maybe all remaining stock has been retained for US sales and we need to order from the USA.

Added on 28 March:
One of the two UK dealers I mentioned above did get some more E100G and Elitechrome 100 (not Elitechrome Extra Color) this week! So Kodak in the UK did have, or did get, some more. Or else the dealer brought stock in from overseas.

Last edited by wlodekmj; 03-27-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Updated on Ektachrome in the UK
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM

Default save ektachrome

tell kodak at customerrelations@kodak.com
that you wont be shooting on ektar or any similar films, it seems kodak's plans are to go bankrupt, their decision to delete their entire line of useless digital cameras was probably their best decision they made.
But i dont know how kodak can actually be a profitable company in the digital age unfortunatley.