kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
KR4myF2AS KR4myF2AS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 239
KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
That was very temporary. They projected a week or two, but by last night (Monday evening) I had an email that my 50 rolls had just shipped.
Thank you again, SD, for the heads up on Adorama. Like yours, my 10-14 day backorder was delivered by Ms UPS five days after I placed the order. Nice! My film now sits in the deep-freeze awaiting better weather. I noticed that as of this morning Adorama has yet to raise their prices on any of Kodak's E6 offerings; if the prices stay at their present levels, I think I will pick up another 75 rolls at the end of the month. Mine is all dated 9/13, which is nice. If I can accumulate 300 or so rolls of 35mm E100G and E100VS and 100 or so rolls of the two emulsions in 120, I should have sufficient E6 materials to see me through several projects I am - or soon will be - working on. It is interesting to note that the end of Ektachrome - "Kodachrome's ugly sibling," in the words of some wit - has not brought with it the response that Kodachrome's demise did. Who knows, Ektachrome may be available on the market longer than EK's estimates...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM
nzoomed nzoomed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 136
nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default

Ive ordered a brick of E100g, i may get some 100vs later, hopefully that will last me long enough for a few 3D viewmaster projects and slides etc.
I dont have a big enough freezer to hold 300 rolls! lol
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
KR4myF2AS KR4myF2AS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 239
KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
Ive ordered a brick of E100g, i may get some 100vs later, hopefully that will last me long enough for a few 3D viewmaster projects and slides etc.
I dont have a big enough freezer to hold 300 rolls! lol
I have had to forgo buying my frozen vegetables/fruit/pasta in bulk for a while (my usual practice), but under the circumstances, I am willing to sacrifice the savings in order to support my hobby (good thing I'm single - I don't have to try to explain this to an SO!).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 AM
sdkodachrome sdkodachrome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 211
sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
I dont have a big enough freezer to hold 300 rolls! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
I have had to forgo buying my frozen vegetables/fruit/pasta in bulk for a while (my usual practice), but under the circumstances, I am willing to sacrifice the savings in order to support my hobby
Just a thought:

Film you're sure will be used by the expiration date (and for stuff that you're buying now, that's a year and a half from now) can be stored in the fridge.

I recently read, in fact, that good refrigeration (ie, a temperature where you food never spoils before it should) "doubles" the expiration date, although since it's a date, I'm not sure exactly what "doubles" means (I presume it means that if it's got 1.5 years to go, then kept very cold in the top back of the fridge will extend that to at least about 3 years). If so, you could put even a bit more than you expect to use by the expiration date in the fridge, making room in the freezer for rolls you may not use till even later.

(I'm also single, but live in a 1-bedroom apartment, and have to choose between buying a second small freezer I don't have room for, or making optimum use of my refrigerator with its freezer section. I've figured out that if I put absolutely nothing else in there, I can fit 200 rolls, in 10-roll "bricks", in the freezer. But since I expect to use at least 100 rolls in the next 3 years, and probably significantly sooner, I could presumably put those in the regular refrigeration section. Not that I'm sure I'll be able to buy much more than 200 total before they run out, since I can't afford to buy all of it in one month. For example, Amazon I tried to order 20 -- their limit -- at their great price of $7.45 a roll, but they just sent me an email saying they cancelled my order because they won't able to fill it.)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM
nzoomed nzoomed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 136
nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
Just a thought:

Film you're sure will be used by the expiration date (and for stuff that you're buying now, that's a year and a half from now) can be stored in the fridge.

I recently read, in fact, that good refrigeration (ie, a temperature where you food never spoils before it should) "doubles" the expiration date, although since it's a date, I'm not sure exactly what "doubles" means (I presume it means that if it's got 1.5 years to go, then kept very cold in the top back of the fridge will extend that to at least about 3 years). If so, you could put even a bit more than you expect to use by the expiration date in the fridge, making room in the freezer for rolls you may not use till even later.

(I'm also single, but live in a 1-bedroom apartment, and have to choose between buying a second small freezer I don't have room for, or making optimum use of my refrigerator with its freezer section. I've figured out that if I put absolutely nothing else in there, I can fit 200 rolls, in 10-roll "bricks", in the freezer. But since I expect to use at least 100 rolls in the next 3 years, and probably significantly sooner, I could presumably put those in the regular refrigeration section. Not that I'm sure I'll be able to buy much more than 200 total before they run out, since I can't afford to buy all of it in one month. For example, Amazon I tried to order 20 -- their limit -- at their great price of $7.45 a roll, but they just sent me an email saying they cancelled my order because they won't able to fill it.)

Thats very good to know.
I may see if my friends and family have spare "space" in their freezers too :P
I just bought 12 rolls from this ebay auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/180841850935...84.m1439.l2649
It was a good deal, but for some reason they refunded me for 4 rolls plus shipping costs claiming they sold me their last 8 rolls, yet they still have some listed, and some for a higher price.
I was wondering if anyone here who has made a big order from adorama would be able to get me some rolls at their cost including shipping and then send them on to me?
The shipping costs are ridiculous for 10 rolls they quoted me $59 USD, where as it was around only $10-$19 on such ebay auctions for the same amount of film, I could pay by paypal or similar.
I see lots of elitechrome selling on ebay alot cheaper than 100g too and from what i understand its a good film to learn with if your new to shooting slides, as it acts and behaves similar to negative films so i read.

100vs sells cheaper too, and i do want to try that out too, what films do you recommend i use?
I want to stock up on as much 100g as i can afford it.
Im quite interested in cross processing some too, you can get some really interesting results doing so, but will be a waste to do too much since its now becoming a scarce commodity.
It just sucks ive almost missed the boat on analog photography, i dont mind digital, but have had a recent interest for using film again, the only reason i went digital was because my SLR camera packed up about 8 years ago, i only ever used c41 films, but one thing is that my interest in photography has increased after the demise of kodachrome and i think kodak should recognise that analog photography is something special and there is lots of the young generation who like to experiment with such films, i guess fuji will probably sell more E6 film now that kodak has ceased production, although there will be some people that will never use fuji.
One thing that should not be overlooked is to repackage 35mm E100D motion picture film into 35mm canisters and thats a way around it, but you have to use filters for indoor lighting, thats the only problem.

Last edited by nzoomed; 03-19-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
sdkodachrome sdkodachrome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 211
sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
I see lots of elitechrome selling on ebay alot cheaper than 100g too and from what i understand its a good film to learn with if your new to shooting slides, as it acts and behaves similar to negative films so i read.
Elite Chrome is simply E100G repackaged. Since it now says "Extra Color", I presume it's E100VS repackaged. There are some minor differences in the last stage of preparation (Elite Chrome as a "consumer" film is probably less "aged" than E100G or E100VS, in that Elite Chrome is expected to spend more time at room temperature while E100G or E100VS more time in refrigeration, but I think that's about it.

I don't understand "acts and behaves similar to negative films" therefore. All E6 films are similar enough to negative films that cross-processing works, but that's only in relationship to K14 films (ie, Kodachrome).

But typical rules about negative vs positive films still hold, in that negative films handle overexposure better and positive (reversal) films not so well. Having said that, E100G has a lot of latitude (ability to handle over and underexposure), I'm not sure yet whether E100VS (and therefore presumably Elite Chrome) has the same or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
One thing that should not be overlooked is to repackage 35mm E100D motion picture film into 35mm canisters and thats a way around it, but you have to use filters for indoor lighting, thats the only problem.
As far as I understand, Kodak is discontinuing all reversal film, period.

The last step (of repackaging film) is nearly identical for slide film and negative film. I don't see why they would be discontinuing a process (for all other "flavors" of Ektachrome) and yet keeping all of the unique parts of that process alive for one last "flavor" of Ektachrome.

I'm guessing this is a "flaw" of the press release process, because the motion picture film is not in the same market, not sold to the general public, and therefore the discontinuation of it would not go through the same channels. (Keep in mind that the press release is just "extra topping"; the real information got sent to dealers around the same time as the press release or even before, because a major photo dealer in Los Angeles told me a week or two earlier that they had no E100VS any more and weren't sure if they were ever going to get it again. So I think in the dealer community there was some information earlier (and therefore separate) already.

The purpose of the press release was to inform normal end-users, not those trying to figure out every possible work-around. As such, I think they simply didn't feel the need to spell out every single Ektachrome they make in every market; all they needed to say was "we're exiting reversal film completely" (which they did say), and you should be able to figure out if your film is a reversal film or not if you're a photographer (of the level they're now consider all reversal film users to be), whether they listed it or not.

Last edited by sdkodachrome; 03-20-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM
nzoomed nzoomed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 136
nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
Elite Chrome is simply E100G repackaged. Since it now says "Extra Color", I presume it's E100VS repackaged. There are some minor differences in the last stage of preparation (Elite Chrome as a "consumer" film is probably less "aged" than E100G or E100VS, in that Elite Chrome is expected to spend more time at room temperature while E100G or E100VS more time in refrigeration, but I think that's about it.

I don't understand "acts and behaves similar to negative films" therefore. All E6 films are similar enough to negative films that cross-processing works, but that's only in relationship to K14 films (ie, Kodachrome).

But typical rules about negative vs positive films still hold, in that negative films handle overexposure better and positive (reversal) films not so well. Having said that, E100G has a lot of latitude (ability to handle over and underexposure), I'm not sure yet whether E100VS (and therefore presumably Elite Chrome) has the same or not.

As far as I understand, Kodak is discontinuing all reversal film, period.

The last step (of repackaging film) is nearly identical for slide film and negative film. I don't see why they would be discontinuing a process (for all other "flavors" of Ektachrome) and yet keeping all of the unique parts of that process alive for one last "flavor" of Ektachrome.

I'm guessing this is a "flaw" of the press release process, because the motion picture film is not in the same market, not sold to the general public, and therefore the discontinuation of it would not go through the same channels. (Keep in mind that the press release is just "extra topping"; the real information got sent to dealers around the same time as the press release or even before, because a major photo dealer in Los Angeles told me a week or two earlier that they had no E100VS any more and weren't sure if they were ever going to get it again. So I think in the dealer community there was some information earlier (and therefore separate) already.

The purpose of the press release was to inform normal end-users, not those trying to figure out every possible work-around. As such, I think they simply didn't feel the need to spell out every single Ektachrome they make in every market; all they needed to say was "we're exiting reversal film completely" (which they did say), and you should be able to figure out if your film is a reversal film or not if you're a photographer (of the level they're now consider all reversal film users to be), whether they listed it or not.
Thats good info regarding the films, as for Kodak discontinuing all their reversal films, i think this is not entirley true, kodak have only announced the discontinuation of e110g and e100vs, having discontinued elitechrome only a few weeks earlier.

There will be a huge uproar in the motion picture community if kodak does discontinue e100d movie film, i better stock up on some e100d super8 film if it is the case, but looking on kodak's site, it appears to be a current product.
I will just stock up on whatever film i can.
I may stock up on some elitechrome since its going cheap.

Speaking of kodak and the digital age,
Ive been reading some reviews of the leica M9 camera, and its sensor (designed and made by kodak BTW) is designed to replicate the look of film, namley kodachrome, and i must say that the photos are unmistakeable for film.
I dont know if kodak has stopped making CCD sensors or not for leica and various cameras, but obviously if its worthy to go in a leica camera, they must be pretty darn good, but the $10,000 price tag puts me off, im not sure how their compact cameras compare, but obviously they would still be better than anything else on the market.
All i know is the kodak digital cameras ive seen and used are not much chop and yet they can make a sensor thats fit for a leica, what on earth are kodak doing wrong?
I still dont know how kodak can survive in the digital age either if they have pulled out their entire range of cameras and are dropping more and more film products by the day.
I think film still has a niche market, and perhaps they should sell off their production/patents on their redundant products rather then pull them off the market.
Fuji is doing well and is still selling film, whats more is they have actually reintroduced some lines of film after customer feedback, how good is that, wish kodak would do the same.
Even if Ektachrome was kodachrome's ugly brother, the more recent, modern versions were pretty darn good, and i cant really complain about them too much.
I guess this is just progress, and we have to get used to it or not?
Its amazing how digital photography has virtually wiped out all film use in only a decade, i used film heaps right until 2006.

Last edited by nzoomed; 03-20-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM
sdkodachrome sdkodachrome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 211
sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
There will be a huge uproar in the motion picture community if kodak does discontinue e100d movie film, i better stock up on some e100d super8 film if it is the case, but looking on kodak's site, it appears to be a current product.
E100D appears to be simply E100VS. I've seen listings online for E100VS in 35mm that also called it E100D, and looking at E100D on the Kodak site, every bit of the description is the same as E100VS: the saturation, the natural color balance, the true 100 speed, etc.

I think the confusion lies in that Kodak considers their film reversal products to be Consumer products, and they don't do discontinuation announcements on consumer products the way the do on professional products. Elite Chrome used to be classified as a consumer product, and used to be E1100GX. Kodak announced the discontinuation of E100GX, but made no mention of Elite Chrome. But Elite Chrome ceased to be E100GX, and "quietly" became E100VS (Elite Chrome "Extra Color") with no announcement.

The professional movie industry does not use reversal film. The use negative film and do "prints" (to positive film). And Kodak has said it will continue to make negative film. (Including presumably the Super 8 200-speed negative film they introduced a while back.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
I've been reading some reviews of the leica M9 camera, and its sensor (designed and made by kodak BTW) is designed to replicate the look of film, namley kodachrome, and i must say that the photos are unmistakeable for film.
Again, which Kodachrome? Kodachrome 64 did not look like Kodachrome 200 did not look like Kodachrome of the 1950s. There is no one Kodachrome look.

And are they "unmistakable for film" in a blind test? Or only if you know they come from that sensor and are viewing them with that in mind? What exactly does "unmistakable for film" mean to you?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM
nzoomed nzoomed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 136
nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
And are they "unmistakable for film" in a blind test? Or only if you know they come from that sensor and are viewing them with that in mind? What exactly does "unmistakable for film" mean to you?
It would be referring to grain and colour, i would say some of the photos i saw looked very close to e100g and k64
What do you feel?
Link is here.
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012...mmilux-lenses/

As for kodak reversal films all potentially going off the shelf, i will be in contact with them very soon to get to the bottom of this, Kodak seems pretty dedicated to keeping super8 alive and will cause huge uproar in the film community if they do indeed remove their products, super8 photography is becoming very popular for weddings etc. I better stock up while i can, i want to make some snowboarding films this winter, and also im looking for a nice compact camera i can take up in my pocket to the slopes that can shoot e100, if you have any suggestions on what to get, let me know
I can find cameras such as a minolta riva zoom 90 or nikon one touch zoom 90 rather cheaply.

Last edited by nzoomed; 03-21-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM
pharmboycu pharmboycu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
pharmboycu is on a distinguished road
Default

Okay, so now I'm REALLY confused. Has *ALL* still, non-motion picture 35mm Kodak E6 film been discontinued? There's so much information/misinformation out there on the net that I can't tell whether or not the professional line of films will continue (which makes NO sense, as Ektachrome *was* in the professional line).

Good thing I've got a couple of bricks stashed away... :-)

John
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.