kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road
Default Someone seems to have done it-- Kodachrome IN COLOR!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

I do believe this is for real!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
I do believe this is for real!
Wow! If real, then wonderful! But his reply to "Is this a current test." is "beautiful isnt it." - enigmatic, to say the least.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlodekmj View Post
Wow! If real, then wonderful! But his reply to "Is this a current test." is "beautiful isnt it." - enigmatic, to say the least.
True-- however, I'm inclined to believe him. He's the owner of The Lighthouse Lab in Sydney, Australia and has the confidence of the responders so far on APUG--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...ge-sydney.html

Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
true-- however, i'm inclined to believe him. He's the owner of the lighthouse lab in sydney, australia and has the confidence of the responders so far on apug--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...ge-sydney.html

ill be hanging on to my kodachrome if this is the case!!!!!!

Where did he get the chemicals from i wonder????
I see he has just made a post, would be interested to know in more detail what chemicals were used, and what differs from the K-14 process, i dont know about the archival qualities, as he has pointed out, but i feel he should look at offering some service, IT WILL MAKE WORLD HEADLINES.
Looking at the image provided, the colours look what i would expect from kodachrome.
If enough funds/donations were collected to help his project, perhaps he may have a second think about this?
Im happy to pay more to process my film if there are consistent results in processing the film. Only one or two runs needs to be done per year, and this means that the remaining kodachrome stocks should last out enough for some time anyway.
All i know is he is going to be bombarded on his facebook now! Enough said.

Last edited by nzoomed; 03-27-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

On the other hand, this is only a test. On the linked APUG thread, he writes (in part):

"While Kodachrome is process K-14 I did not strictly process this in k-14 chemistry. It was processed using an butchered version of this process and other improvised adaptations which can yield a result but the chemistry does not keep nor can I guarantee the archival properties of the final product. Its a one shot process."

It does prove it's doable at least once by someone in the world without a K-Lab, but it doesn't yet prove it's scalable, nor does it prove that although it can be scanned soon after developing, that it will last a long time like "proper" K-14 developed Kodachrome would.

On the latter point, how many would be happy enough with a resurrected "not quite K-14" process that produced "unstable" full color Kodachrome slides, which you could scan soon after developing, but which would fade at least as fast as some non-Kodachrome films of decades ago?

(I don't recall this possibility being discussed before. I thus don't know if everyone assumed that every possible method of Kodachrome processing in color yields K-14's legendary archival qualities or not.)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
On the other hand, this is only a test. On the linked APUG thread, he writes (in part):

"While Kodachrome is process K-14 I did not strictly process this in k-14 chemistry. It was processed using an butchered version of this process and other improvised adaptations which can yield a result but the chemistry does not keep nor can I guarantee the archival properties of the final product. Its a one shot process."

It does prove it's doable at least once by someone in the world without a K-Lab, but it doesn't yet prove it's scalable, nor does it prove that although it can be scanned soon after developing, that it will last a long time like "proper" K-14 developed Kodachrome would.

On the latter point, how many would be happy enough with a resurrected "not quite K-14" process that produced "unstable" full color Kodachrome slides, which you could scan soon after developing, but which would fade at least as fast as some non-Kodachrome films of decades ago?

(I don't recall this possibility being discussed before. I thus don't know if everyone assumed that every possible method of Kodachrome processing in color yields K-14's legendary archival qualities or not.)
Thats why im interested to know what dye couplers have been used, has he synthesised them himself or did he manage to obtain some E6 couplers?
Either way, the results posted are pretty impressive, would be keen to see any actual photographs of people or scenes etc to get an idea of skin tones and that famous "kodachrome red"

If Klittlegraphy is reading this, i hope this gives him some hope and motivation if nothing else, PE on APUG will be very interested to hear this news, and will be the best person to give advice on the image stability etc with the chemistry and/or process that Stephen has used. I dont think he realises how much interest he has created, and given that he has told the whole world through facebook that he can process kodachrome in colour, he is going to have to now expect to be bombarded by people wanting their kodachrome processed! lol

I see he has posted a "formula" on his facebook
its here http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...14923430_n.jpg
Would be a good idea to copy this incase it gets taken down.
I dont know if this forumla is his own or from official kodak information, but he appears to have used it, the chemicals are available for example the cyan coupler is on alibaba http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/pota...focyanate.html obviously this chemical has alot of uses, i guess in the photographic industry if nothing else, but at the MOQ being 1 ton at $2500, its going to be expensive to get the chemicals.
these chemicals can keep if stored in sealed containers filled with an inhert gas such as nitrogen, keeping out the oxygen is the main thing.

Last edited by nzoomed; 03-28-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Finally...a bit of encouraging news for those of us holding out hope for a resumption/resurrection of some sort of Kodachrome processing. Although the results here are, at best, tentative, they may well serve to encourage others, leading perhaps.... The issues outstanding are of course manifold: whether or not the results will prove to be are archival, whether they can be repeated, and of course whether or not the effort is scalable. As always, however, I remain cautiously optimistic, hoping, in the back of my mind, that I can take Kodachrome on my Louisiana/Mississippi trip this August...instead of having to shoot the excursion on E100G/E100VS...
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Finally...a bit of encouraging news for those of us holding out hope for a resumption/resurrection of some sort of Kodachrome processing. Although the results here are, at best, tentative, they may well serve to encourage others, leading perhaps.... The issues outstanding are of course manifold: whether or not the results will prove to be are archival, whether they can be repeated, and of course whether or not the effort is scalable. As always, however, I remain cautiously optimistic, hoping, in the back of my mind, that I can take Kodachrome on my Louisiana/Mississippi trip this August...instead of having to shoot the excursion on E100G/E100VS...
We would be so much sorted if we had that k-lab operational.
Where is klittlegraphy?
What is the fate of the k-lab?
Where can we find another one?
By the sounds of things, this guy has had relative access to the chemicals needed, what we need to know is how reliable they can be obtained and how different the formula is to that of k-14.
Get someone with the know how to mix them the way this person has, and an operational k-lab, and it wouldnt be too difficult to do a run of film through it.
Fingers crossed, can someone direct steve to my wiki?
Im not a member of APUG yet.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
We would be so much sorted if we had that k-lab operational.
Where is klittlegraphy?
What is the fate of the k-lab?
Where can we find another one?
By the sounds of things, this guy has had relative access to the chemicals needed, what we need to know is how reliable they can be obtained and how different the formula is to that of k-14.
Get someone with the know how to mix them the way this person has, and an operational k-lab, and it wouldnt be too difficult to do a run of film through it.
Fingers crossed, can someone direct steve to my wiki?
Im not a member of APUG yet.

Okay, here's the post Mr. Frizza made regarding the processing:

"Hello Apugers

I have been very quiet on APUG lately and have been busy in my lab doing some experiments and tests. As it seems this Kodachrome one ended up online here as a result of me posting it on my personal Facebook Page.

There are some things I should mention about this test....

1stly : I have absolutely no intention of offering it as a service. The Cost, The limited amount of chemistry I have for this process and the fact no new film stock is being produced means this just wont happen.

2nd : While the thread states HOME processing people should be aware that I am working in a fully equip professional photographic lab which without I could not have done this process.

3rdly: While Kodachrome is process K-14 I did not strictly process this in k-14 chemistry. It was processed using an butchered version of this process and other improvised adaptations which can yield a result but the chemistry does not keep nor can I guarantee the archival properties of the final product. Its a one shot process.

Thanks for the interest in one of my personal tests .

-Frizza "

So, being that he did not use K-14 chemistry and used a "butchered" adaptation of the process, I have my doubts as to whether it would work in a K-Lab machine, even if we could find one and get it running.

Then, there is a note on the partial formula he posted that the chemical mixtures do not keep and are designed as one shot solutions.

Still a long way to go, but at least we now know it *CAN* be done!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Okay, here's the post Mr. Frizza made regarding the processing:

"Hello Apugers

I have been very quiet on APUG lately and have been busy in my lab doing some experiments and tests. As it seems this Kodachrome one ended up online here as a result of me posting it on my personal Facebook Page.

There are some things I should mention about this test....

1stly : I have absolutely no intention of offering it as a service. The Cost, The limited amount of chemistry I have for this process and the fact no new film stock is being produced means this just wont happen.

2nd : While the thread states HOME processing people should be aware that I am working in a fully equip professional photographic lab which without I could not have done this process.

3rdly: While Kodachrome is process K-14 I did not strictly process this in k-14 chemistry. It was processed using an butchered version of this process and other improvised adaptations which can yield a result but the chemistry does not keep nor can I guarantee the archival properties of the final product. Its a one shot process.

Thanks for the interest in one of my personal tests .

-Frizza "

So, being that he did not use K-14 chemistry and used a "butchered" adaptation of the process, I have my doubts as to whether it would work in a K-Lab machine, even if we could find one and get it running.

Then, there is a note on the partial formula he posted that the chemical mixtures do not keep and are designed as one shot solutions.

Still a long way to go, but at least we now know it *CAN* be done!
Who knows, but his process may even work better than k-14, looking at his posts, i gather that his formula is very similar but not identical.
We should call it the k-15 process! lol
I think his process is somewhat different than k-14, but this is probably due to him not having the k-lab machine, i wonder how many attempts he did to make this work? Having the proper k-lab may give him even better results, although the image appears pretty much perfect, he may have used different concentrations of the chemicals and left the film in for longer or shorter amounts of time.
We also dont know the archival ability of the film yet under this new process, but we may find it lasts just as long, the only way to test this is to keep the developed film in a hot place and try and make some accelerated aging tests etc.
This gives us some serious hope anyway.