kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
Shooting film is different than buying film. Due to their deciision to delete E100G and E100VS, I (and others here) have already bought up oodles of those films, enough to last us quite a while (in my case, likely several years). So while I'll be certainly be shooting Kodak film, and getting it developed at Dwayne's (which I think uses Kodak's chemicals), it'll all be film that's already bought and filling my freezer to the brim. Thus I can't buy any more film for several years (unless I come up with a need for something other than 100 speed color reversal film, which is all I've shot since Kodachrome went away).

So unless they look backwards at the discontinuation-time increase in reversal film buying (which, as we would have expected, made store stocks of E100G, especially, last not as long as Kodak had predicted), Kodak will have no market info from those of us who are into reversal films. Even if we haven't changed brands (yet?), we already did our Kodak purchases by now presumably (for as much as we could afford and/or our freezers had space for!).

How (else) can Kodak use market info to judge the demand for their reversal film, once they've discontinued it? You can't market info from something you don't sell!
SD:

You took my musings too literally! As you duly noted - and we in the photographic community are well aware - there exists an obvious difference between buying the film and actually shooting the stuff! Without argument, the volumes of Kodak's Ektachrome selling in recent months (especially 35mm E100G) in no way reflect a renewed interest in EK's reversal film portfolio; rather they reflect the efforts of folks like you and I to postpone the inevitable day of reckoning when (especially E100G) these films are no longer available anywhere (For my part, that day is a long way off: I currently have three cases of E100G (120), 10 pro-packs of E100VS (120), 355 rolls of E100G (35m) and 60 rolls of E100VS (35mm) - all deep frozen).
While this mother-lode may seem to some as hoarding, this stash was purchased in order to have adequate supply for several projects either underway or else to be started in the near future (a two year photographic documentation of Vancouver Island, street shooting in Vancouver, two trips to Louisiana/Mississippi in April and September next. A lot of film...but not enough to prompt any market reconsiderations by EK!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

its up to us to inform kodak that we want to buy reversal films, i suspect they would know that everyone has been stockpiling the stuff!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
its up to us to inform kodak that we want to buy reversal films, i suspect they would know that everyone has been stockpiling the stuff!
A noble sentiment, NZ, but as 3DHillary remarked in another post, EK has already abandoned us! While a public outcry worked to prompt a reconsideration by Fujifilm several years back to bring back one of its Velvia offerings, the recent effort re large format reversal film fell flat. Market dynamics have changed dramatically over the course of the last several years - and not to the liking of many of us in the analogue community. And given EK's current difficulties, I doubt very seriously we would find an audience for our concerns. As sdkodachrome has suggested, the decision by EK to drop its Ektachrome line is a done deal!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
A noble sentiment, NZ, but as 3DHillary remarked in another post, EK has already abandoned us! While a public outcry worked to prompt a reconsideration by Fujifilm several years back to bring back one of its Velvia offerings, the recent effort re large format reversal film fell flat. Market dynamics have changed dramatically over the course of the last several years - and not to the liking of many of us in the analogue community. And given EK's current difficulties, I doubt very seriously we would find an audience for our concerns. As sdkodachrome has suggested, the decision by EK to drop its Ektachrome line is a done deal!
Well thats bad news, although they are still producing E100D motion picture film in 35mm, i guess it could be repackaged in 35mm canisters?
Either way i could do with another brick of e100g, i was going to buy some more on ebay, but the seller has run dry.
I think Adorama has run out too.
I want to try AGFA Precisa 100 and perhaps some Rollei digibase in the meantime, im quite happy with the results from Fuji Provia also.

In regards to E100d, it is still being freshly produced, see http://forum.filmshooting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23112 so hopefully if people get on the bandwagon and buy 35mm e100d to shoot, it may spark kodak to sell it in 35mm canisters if they know the surge of sales is due to photographers repackaging e100d. Its rumoured to be the same as e100vs.

Last edited by nzoomed; 09-11-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Well thats bad news, although they are still producing E100D motion picture film in 35mm, i guess it could be repackaged in 35mm canisters?
Either way i could do with another brick of e100g, i was going to buy some more on ebay, but the seller has run dry.
I think Adorama has run out too.
I want to try AGFA Precisa 100 and perhaps some Rollei digibase in the meantime, im quite happy with the results from Fuji Provia also.

In regards to E100d, it is still being freshly produced, see http://forum.filmshooting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23112 so hopefully if people get on the bandwagon and buy 35mm e100d to shoot, it may spark kodak to sell it in 35mm canisters if they know the surge of sales is due to photographers repackaging e100d. Its rumoured to be the same as e100vs.
NZ: While I have several hundred rolls of E100G (35mm and 120) and E100VS (35mm) in my deepfreeze, I have continued to keep my eyes open for more E100G in 35mm format. Regretfully, I think the supply has been exhausted, although some of the mom and pop or smaller camera stores may have some lingering about. The NYC superstores (B&H and Adorama -where I shop) are completely out of 35mm E100G with no further supplies indicated. E100G and VS in 120 still seems to be in abundance everywhere as does E100VS in 35mm. Most of the local stores here - if they have any Kodak products at all - offer only Elitechrome Extra Colour and E100VS; Fujifilm products pretty much "own the shelves."
Re-spooling E100D into cannisters would likely only be a viable option if you can get a large number of folks to buy in; the reels are, to say the least, rather large! However, given the amount of Elitechrome Extra Colour and E100VS still on the market (rather curious that the latter film is not more popular among landscape and fine art photographers - perhaps archival issues are a consideration), I would opt for one of these until supplies are exhausted (given that E100VS and E100G are identical).
Old 09-13-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
NZ: While I have several hundred rolls of E100G (35mm and 120) and E100VS (35mm) in my deepfreeze, I have continued to keep my eyes open for more E100G in 35mm format. Regretfully, I think the supply has been exhausted, although some of the mom and pop or smaller camera stores may have some lingering about. The NYC superstores (B&H and Adorama -where I shop) are completely out of 35mm E100G with no further supplies indicated. E100G and VS in 120 still seems to be in abundance everywhere as does E100VS in 35mm. Most of the local stores here - if they have any Kodak products at all - offer only Elitechrome Extra Colour and E100VS; Fujifilm products pretty much "own the shelves."
Re-spooling E100D into cannisters would likely only be a viable option if you can get a large number of folks to buy in; the reels are, to say the least, rather large! However, given the amount of Elitechrome Extra Colour and E100VS still on the market (rather curious that the latter film is not more popular among landscape and fine art photographers - perhaps archival issues are a consideration), I would opt for one of these until supplies are exhausted (given that E100VS and E100G are identical).

How many reels would a full roll of e100d make i wonder?
I personally dont think its the same as e100vs as others claim, i tend to think it would be the same as e100g. Since ive used it on Super8 movies and made comparisons.

There's tons of elitechrome, but even that is running dry on ebay, and is mainly the elitechrome extracolor and e100vs as you mentioned.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
How many reels would a full roll of e100d make i wonder?
I personally dont think its the same as e100vs as others claim, i tend to think it would be the same as e100g. Since ive used it on Super8 movies and made comparisons.

There's tons of elitechrome, but even that is running dry on ebay, and is mainly the elitechrome extracolor and e100vs as you mentioned.
A standard roll of 35mm E100D is 400 feet. At approximately 5 feet of film per 36 exposure roll that works out to 80 rolls, more or less. That may or may not be a lot of film for you; finding interested individuals and splitting the master roll may be the way to go, if you are contemplating the purchase. I stand corrected on my earlier post: for some reason I had it in my mind that master reels were 1000ft in length!

Nonetheless, you may have hit on an acceptable substitute for E100G/VS. According to the Great Yellow Father, E100D has accurate skin tones, good neutrals and high color saturation; in other words, the film is neither E100G or E1000VS, but sort of both! In retrospect, given its (apparently) unique character, it seems odd that the film was never offered as a consumer still film. More information? Here is a link to EK: http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...ability_header

As an aside, here is a recent APUG post/ thread you may wish to check out: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...questions.html

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 09-15-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
A standard roll of 35mm E100D is 400 feet. At approximately 5 feet of film per 36 exposure roll that works out to 80 rolls, more or less. That may or may not be a lot of film for you; finding interested individuals and splitting the master roll may be the way to go, if you are contemplating the purchase. I stand corrected on my earlier post: for some reason I had it in my mind that master reels were 1000ft in length!

Nonetheless, you may have hit on an acceptable substitute for E100G/VS. According to the Great Yellow Father, E100D has accurate skin tones, good neutrals and high color saturation; in other words, the film is neither E100G or E1000VS, but sort of both! In retrospect, given its (apparently) unique character, it seems odd that the film was never offered as a consumer still film. More information? Here is a link to EK: http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...ability_header

As an aside, here is a recent APUG post/ thread you may wish to check out: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...questions.html
I think there would be some interest in doing this, and im sure we could get a few on APUG keen to put some money together and split a roll up, if someone had the resources to repackage this film, i think they could easily sell it on Ebay. It would also be an advantage to find suitable DX coded film canisters that can be re-used.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't think this film is very much like E100G. I think it is much closer to E100VS.

It talks about "intense" color saturation. E100G doesn't have that. Is "intense" even more intense than E100VS? Ie, could E100D be on the other side of E100VS from E100D in color saturation???

The APUG discussion talks about it being quite contrasty. My experience is that E100G is not very contrasty at all, E100VS more so (but still not as contrasty as KR 64 was). Again, the contrast suggests that if it's not E100VS, then it may be on the other side of E100VS from E100G.

Meanwhile, I've seen claims of "accurate skin tones" in other Kodak write-ups that were talking about E100VS or Elite Chrome EC. This may be marketing trickery. Yes, you can get saturated colors from E100VS, by exposing properly. Yes, you may be able to get reasonably accurate skin tones from E100VS, by overexposing a bit. But that's because overexposing a bit decreases E100VS color saturation!

IOTW, it seems to me that E100VS, more than anything else, has the color saturation vs exposure curve "skewed" compared to more traditional saturation films. With tradition saturation films, you had to underexpose a bit (with all that's side effects) to get higher color saturation, and you got normal color saturation at normal exposure. With E100VS, it seems as if you get high color saturation already at normal exposure, it starts getting problematic at underexposure (goes way more blue in shadows than E100G, though similar to KR 64), but the higher saturation gets reduced when you overexpose a bit.

That doesn't mean, of course, that E100VS exposed a little higher is "just like" E100G exposed correctly. There are other side-effects of exposing higher which aren't related to color saturation. Plus, like I said, I thin kE100VS may be more contrasty than E100G to begin with, meaning you may have less room to play with once you try to overexpose slightly to tame the saturation a bit.

Anyway, I wouldn't take a statement about "accurate skin tones" in Kodak marketing as any indication of where the film is relative to E100G vs E100VS. And once you factor that out, it seems to me they're describing either E100VS or something "on the other side of it".

(And given that E100VS, unlike E100G, is still available, I don't see why anyone would need to get excited about respooling E100D if they don't find E100VS to be a substitute for all E100G applications, and if they do find the E100VS to be a suitable substitute, they should buy it now while it's still available, no respooling needed, just more room in your freezer -- which may be just about as difficult for some people at this point! )

... Of course, this begs the re-opening of the question of whether E100G was the most similar film to KR 64. In color balance (when exposed correctly), maybe. In contrast (and underexposure characteristics), no. In contrast (and in what it does color-wise to shadows), E100VS / E100D may be closer to KR64 than E100G is.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 PM

As far as im aware, the D in E100D, means its daylight balanced, ie not for indoor use, most reversal film is like that though anyway.