kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper80 View Post
Ebay is the great platform at which you can buy or sell any kind of product and think that is why the people are buying Kodachrome on Ebay.
Yes, you can buy and sell almost anything (legal) on eBay. The question is why anyone still is buying film that can no longer be developed.

I have bought a few rolls of 35mm Kodachrome that were being sold cheaply, either just to keep as souvenirs, or to use if we are lucky enough that someone starts up K-14 processing even for a limited time and at high cost. Or to offer to Kittlegraphy if he needs some to test his K-lab, though several other people have already made the same offer.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default Continued Kodachrome Sales on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlodekmj View Post
Yes, you can buy and sell almost anything (legal) on eBay. The question is why anyone still is buying film that can no longer be developed.

I have bought a few rolls of 35mm Kodachrome that were being sold cheaply, either just to keep as souvenirs, or to use if we are lucky enough that someone starts up K-14 processing even for a limited time and at high cost. Or to offer to Kittlegraphy if he needs some to test his K-lab, though several other people have already made the same offer.
My guess, expanding on what I offered earlier in this thread, is that those still buying Kodachrome fall into one of several camps:
1. Nostalgia buffs (I, too, confess to having picked up some vintage Kodachrome X (4 rolls for $0.99);
2. Individuals acting in anticipation of the resumption of K14 processing (i.e. Kittlegraphy will eventually be successful with his K-Lab);
3. Those who consciously avoid any exposure to the media (i.e. folks still not aware of the end of Dwayne's K14 line); and
4. Creative types who want to try their hand at (audible gasp, look of horror) alternative processing, and, seeing the low prices on eBay are buying up the film for that purpose. I have noticed that several of the more recent ads for the film have made mention of that fact.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 AM

I think I will amend my earlier post. To wit: Looking at eBay from time to time (being a person of Scottish descent I am always looking for bargains on Leica equipment), I have noticed that Kodachrome prices seem to be nudging their way upwards. While I had suggested a couple of possible reasons for continued sales, I was inclined, at the time, to attribute most of the activity to nostalgia buffs. However, looking at the pattern of bids - and the recurrence of the same few parties - it is my inclination to suggest that either: 1). We have a lot of individuals experimenting with alternative black and white processing; 2). Our friends from APUG are not the only ones experimenting with non-K-14 color processing; or 3). We have a growing number of folks who believe that we will eventually get the or a K-lab running...
Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 PM

mopar_guy is on a distinguished road
Default e-Bay sellers

There are also a lot of people who follow what is selling and then they buy it up to re-sell the items to try and make money.

Dave
Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
There are also a lot of people who follow what is selling and then they buy it up to re-sell the items to try and make money.

Dave
Which then, of course, suggests that "1)." - "3)." may be the underlying reasons for continued interest...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
1). We have a lot of individuals experimenting with alternative black and white processing; 2). Our friends from APUG are not the only ones experimenting with non-K-14 color processing; or 3). We have a growing number of folks who believe that we will eventually get the or a K-lab running...
Is every seller clearly explaining in their description that color processing may not be available? If not, I suggest:

4) There's a lot of people who don't know that Kodachrome needs special processing that's no longer available. (These are largely people who also don't know that their remaining slide film is E-6 and that their print film is C-41. They just build film and drop it off or mail it off for processing, and don't think about the process differences.)

I know there were a lot people who didn't understand that Kodachrome needed special processing when it was still around, so I don't see why anyone would expect them all to suddenly gain that understanding just because the processing is gone.

They never learned about the difference between Kodachrome and other Kodak films, but they have heard about Kodak's chapter 11, misunderstand it, and think they're buying up valuable last inventory. (Many of them don't even understand that the Kodachrome end-of-life was completely separate from, and long before, the Kodak chapter 11. They only started looking on eBay after they heard about Kodak's woes in the news, and the think they've figured out something that other people haven't.

(I see parallels in a frequent flyer discussion board I frequent: People who think that AA will fold this summer, just because they heard the headline of "AA declares bankruptcy", and so they want to use up all their AA miles immediately because they think they will have no value in the fall. The difference is that airline miles can't be sold, while Kodachrome rolls can be sold.)
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM

"They never learned about the difference between Kodachrome and other Kodak films, but they have heard about Kodak's chapter 11, misunderstand it, and think they're buying up valuable last inventory. (Many of them don't even understand that the Kodachrome end-of-life was completely separate from, and long before, the Kodak chapter 11. They only started looking on eBay after they heard about Kodak's woes in the news, and the think they've figured out something that other people haven't."

Most, if not all, of the recent ebay offerings make mention of the fact that K-14 processing is no longer available; so unless folks are not troubling themselves to read the not-so-small print, ignorance can be eliminated. That said, you may well have something here with "misinformed" panic buying: folks who are not aware of the details of or operation following a Chapter 11 filing may well be "panic buying" (or hoping to speculate and profit from expected future scarcity- good luck on that!).
Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Dave
Mopar, you may have something there: A bidder, 0***0, seems to be buying up all the 35mm Kodachrome he/she can get his/her hands on. Whether, he/she
opts to resell this stash remains to be seen. Possibly, the film is for personal use?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM

mopar_guy is on a distinguished road
Default There's still a lot of Kodachrome out there

There may be between a dozen and a hundred rolls of Kodachrome on eBay at any given time, but I bet that there are many thousands of rolls of Kodachrome that people have stashed away. Two years ago I would have loved to get my hands on some Kodachrome 25 and then after the processing was shut down , there were bricks of it offered on eBay. What a waste.

Dave
Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
There may be between a dozen and a hundred rolls of Kodachrome on eBay at any given time, but I bet that there are many thousands of rolls of Kodachrome that people have stashed away. Two years ago I would have loved to get my hands on some Kodachrome 25 and then after the processing was shut down , there were bricks of it offered on eBay. What a waste.

Dave
One of the reasons that I am so interested in the K-lab issue is that I managed to pick up 6 bricks of KM, in (D)E(a)dmonton, last spring, from an individual who was hoarding the stuff (in the expectation of a last minute reprieve?),for $25.00/ brick. He claimed the stuff had been frozen from day one; if so, it went from his freezer into mine - where it awaits word...