kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
nzoomed nzoomed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 136
nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
One of the reasons that I am so interested in the K-lab issue is that I managed to pick up 6 bricks of KM, in (D)E(a)dmonton, last spring, from an individual who was hoarding the stuff (in the expectation of a last minute reprieve?),for $25.00/ brick. He claimed the stuff had been frozen from day one; if so, it went from his freezer into mine - where it awaits word...
Ive got at least 12 rolls of Kodachrome 64 that i want to get rid of to make space for my ektachrome, it was bought "frozen" from the photographer i got it from, but i feel its going to be a long way off before this K-lab even gets going (that is even if klittlegraphy still has it)
If anyone wants some, let me know, im happy to sell it off.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
pharmboycu pharmboycu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
pharmboycu is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
Ive got at least 12 rolls of Kodachrome 64 that i want to get rid of to make space for my ektachrome, it was bought "frozen" from the photographer i got it from, but i feel its going to be a long way off before this K-lab even gets going (that is even if klittlegraphy still has it)
If anyone wants some, let me know, im happy to sell it off.
PM Sent! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM
KR4myF2AS KR4myF2AS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 239
KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default

Once again trolling through ebay listings looking for some Leica filters for black and white shooting, I did a "look-see" through the Kodachrome offerings to check on prices. Seems that following the recent success of the individual in Australia in color processing the film, that prices seem to be edging their way upwards. In several of the ads, film is being bid/offered for sale in the $6.00 plus/per roll range. I wonder if the upward trajectory will continue to the extent that the cost per roll will eventually restrict shooting the film to a small group of diehards?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 PM
rcoles rcoles is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
rcoles is on a distinguished road
Default Kodachrome on ebay

I am a collector of sealed boxes of Kodak 35mm film and I am also working on a project to document which metal canisters were used with which films and what dates. Therefore I have been an active buyer of sealed boxes dated 1974 and before. Around 1974 is when Kodak switched to plastic canisters. But my main focus is 1939-1964. In the process I have also purchased 14-boxes dated 1974-2009 (8 were Kodachrome). The prices for the 1974-09 boxes were $6-8 per roll and for whatever reason I have been out bid a lot on the recent film. Prices on the older film varies a lot depending on the scarcity & condition. I am now only looking for film that I don't already have dated prior to 1965. So, there is one less person bidding up the current film.
As a side note I have 32-rolls of Kodachrome in the collection the oldest being 1948.
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM
KR4myF2AS KR4myF2AS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 239
KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoles View Post
I am a collector of sealed boxes of Kodak 35mm film and I am also working on a project to document which metal canisters were used with which films and what dates. Therefore I have been an active buyer of sealed boxes dated 1974 and before. Around 1974 is when Kodak switched to plastic canisters. But my main focus is 1939-1964. In the process I have also purchased 14-boxes dated 1974-2009 (8 were Kodachrome). The prices for the 1974-09 boxes were $6-8 per roll and for whatever reason I have been out bid a lot on the recent film. Prices on the older film varies a lot depending on the scarcity & condition. I am now only looking for film that I don't already have dated prior to 1965. So, there is one less person bidding up the current film.
As a side note I have 32-rolls of Kodachrome in the collection the oldest being 1948.
Bob
I, too, have been collecting Kodachrome film, but with a much more limited time frame: my collection is restricted to the post-May 1979 period (I began shooting the film (35mm) at that time when I picked up my first camera - a Nikon F2AS). That said, I am not a "purist": I would shoot the film but then re-glue the box end and retain the box (I simply could never bear to forgo shooting the stuff!!). My collection is reasonably complete but for a few gaps. In particular, I am still looking for the following: the last production runs of PKM 25, KPA 40, PKR 64 and PKL 200. If you should happen to come across any of these items - in collectible condition - and are interested in selling any or all, please do drop me a PM.

Regards,


BLK

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 04-15-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM
KR4myF2AS KR4myF2AS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 239
KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default

As is my wont, curiosity got the best of me when checking for Leica accessories on ebay, and I just had to check out the Kodachrome listings. Given the amount of the film that continues to come up for auction really begs the question of how much of the film is sitting out there in photo-land. As others have remarked, some of film up for auction is just turnover from speculators; a significant amount, however, identified by some of the lower auction bids, must surely be film that folks are finding hidden in the nooks and crannies of their homes. As I wrote at some time past, I sure would be curious as to an estimate of the numbers involved...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 AM
KR4myF2AS KR4myF2AS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 239
KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default

Reminding myself once again of the central lesson of Stats 101 ("Correlation does not imply causation."), it is interesting to note that activity in the "Kodachrome Market" (read: ebay), in terms of pricing and sales volumes, seems to follow the advent of encouraging news on this site as well as on APUG.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM
KR4myF2AS KR4myF2AS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 239
KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default

Still no information forthcoming from our friend Kittlegraphy (has he given up?), and prices continue to increase nonetheless. Nostalgia buffs? Others hoping our friend in Australia continues his research and experimentation and finds a cheaper means to replicate K14? Hard to figure out...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-25-2015, 12:42 PM
RichardE RichardE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 272
RichardE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
Still no information forthcoming from our friend Kittlegraphy (has he given up?), and prices continue to increase nonetheless. Nostalgia buffs? Others hoping our friend in Australia continues his research and experimentation and finds a cheaper means to replicate K14? Hard to figure out...
Sadly, I see less-and-less likelihood of any good news of K14 processing, now we're five years down the line. I doubt there's any K-lab equipment left which is still in a restorable state, and the difficulties of operation and supply of chemicals has already been discussed exhaustively. I also doubt that there are now many films about which contain irreplaceable images (no doubt some have been recovered by B&W processing which is reasonably reliable), and the thoughts of experimenting or shooting with Kodachrome are less attractive when all film is 5+ years outdated and the price pushed up by collectors.
If, like me, you're interested in experimenting with old processes, there are still opportunities, e.g. the old Agfa processes, where formulae, and chemicals (or substitutes) are available, and which can be done with home darkroom gear.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-28-2015, 06:41 PM
nzoomed nzoomed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 136
nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default

Film Ferrania would be our only hope for producing any K14 chemistry, and Dave Bias did not say "no" when asked on the APUG thread, however he would have to talk to their team of chemists to see how easy it would be and they have alot on their plate right now.

Either way, if they could get their hands on a working K-lab, that would be your best best for K-14 processing to happen and perhaps a kickstart fund for getting it off the ground.

Whether or not they ever produce a kodachrome like film remains to be seen, but i see them introducing new and exciting films from their archive of forgotten formulas. I would be happy to send my fillm to italy for processing if they ever did reproduce a kodachrome "copy" however.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.