kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 AM

JBA is on a distinguished road
Default All for the love of Kodachrome!

Over the past three days, I have spent numerous hours arranging my old Kodachrome slides chronologically and inspecting each one under a magnifying glass to remove every speck of dust in preparation for getting them scanned.

This was truly a labor of love, as I relived each image. I really savored inspecting the unique relief of the emulsion face of each slide. I was amazed at the quality of the images I was able to produce in my teens.

Kodachrome was a huge part of developing my own vision during that period. Kodachrome saw as I saw; it was intuitive. Its huge dynamic range could make a masterpiece of a near miss in exposure. And the colors were the colors I saw then, and now vividly again as much as 30 years later.

It's been 22 years since I last shot Kodachrome. The anticipation of using it again feels like the rekindling of an old love affair, complete with the bittersweet regret that I haven't been photographing with it all along. Once my film arrives, I plan to make up for lost time. Certainly, I can afford to shoot many more rolls now than I could in my teens, and I'm going to shoot it like it's going out of style!

I plan to spend more time photographing and travel more for photographic opportunities, all for the love of Kodachrome . . . while I still have the chance to use it! Good news for me and for the Kodachrome Project.

What are you inspired to do for the love of Kodachrome?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:13 AM

Ektagraphic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ektagraphic

I am really in my teens so I am in the same situation you were in....I hope that 22 years later I will still have Kodachrome to do the same thing you are doing but....I am still shooting plenty of Kodachrome and I will contunue till the end "come hell of high water". I don't think I will ever stop shooting but if I do, and I came back years later, hopefully we will still atleast still have Ektachrome. I know it is not Kodachrome but atleast it is slides. I wonder who will be the last E-6 processor.....
Old 03-16-2009, 05:22 PM

the Kodachrome Kidd is on a distinguished road
Smile Feelin' The Love...

Welcome aboard JBA!!! I hope your new Kodachromes come out as well as your old ones...I feel the love for this stuff as well.I have been shooting almost non-stop since the new year began.While no one seems to know how much longer we might have Kodachrome to shoot,i have done my part-purchasing 24 rolls of KR64 brand new from Freestyle Photo and Just Film(Hi Volker!)as well as purchasing some KM25 and KL200(!)
This is the year to shoot Gentlemen!!!Load up the ol' SLR(with Kodachrome,of course)and get out there.Whatever your pleasure-Scenics,Kids in the park,Action-Put it on Kodachrome!!!
As Dan said before,lets not cry about it like its gone-we still have it to use,right now.And maybe,just maybe if enough of us keep coming back to Kodachrome then Kodak may just continue to make it.As Dan would also say,"Use it or lose it". Well then,lets "Use it" then!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome, KK.

My new Kodachromes should come out better than my old ones, considering the amount I've learned just in the past year and a half since returning to film photography. Also, my kit is vastly upgraded since I last shot Kodachrome. In addition to my remaining Nikon F2 kit, I've expanded into Leica M and R systems. The possibilities for excellent images are limited only by my imagination, and my imagination is sparked by Kodachrome.

I'm so excited that I can still photograph with Kodachrome and help keep it viable that I don't have time to cry!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM

Lightbulb Mt. Fuji

Although I first came to Japan over 20 years ago and have spent nearly 12 years of that time in the country, I've never climbed Mt. Fuji!

I should make a point of doing that this summer as a photographic pilgrimage using Kodachrome.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 AM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

JBA - Good luck.

I have free advice. I just returned to photography.

I feel special when I shoot Kodachrome. And my advice to you, as a photographer with experience and nothing to prove, is old-fashioned - look for the picture and shoot from the heart.

I agree with you about Kodachrome's ability to make a simple picture fine. So nowadays when I shoot Kodachrome, I just try to be attentive to the subject matter and let the picture happen.

I'm a computer guy, and I find it ironic that many newcomers with digital cameras are so caught up in the technology, they haven't learned to see.

For me, with Kodachrome in my camera, the most important thing is the time of day, and an open mind.

Good luck.

Last edited by Brian Kim; 03-19-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kim View Post
I'm a computer guy, and I find it ironic that many newcomers with digital cameras are so caught up in the technology, they haven't learned to see.
Thanks, Brian. Shooting from the heart as you advised is the way I've always approached photography . . . film photography, that is!

I really agree with your above statement. I've also seen the opposite. A friend of mine has a great eye for composition and color, but the complete automation of his DSLR was an obstacle to his learning photographic basics. He's since bought a film camera, so he'll have to learn to control the camera to achieve what he visualizes instead of the other way around.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Ektagraphic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ektagraphic

I also feel special when I shoot Kodachrome. It is the only film that I feel like I have a bond with. I feel like a part of a Kodachome shot. This may seem kind of weird....For me Kodachrome is much, much more than just a film.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBA View Post
Although I first came to Japan over 20 years ago and have spent nearly 12 years of that time in the country, I've never climbed Mt. Fuji!

I should make a point of doing that this summer as a photographic pilgrimage using Kodachrome.
Kodachrome seems to be one hell of a high altitude film. I have never personally been to Mount Fuji. But I have certainly taken MANY, MANY, MANY shots in the higher altitudes of California (ie Sierras, Whites, Lassen, etc). Perhaps the best thing about Kodachrome at altitude is that it doesn't tend to go blue like SO many other films (Fuji comes to mind here - the film, that is). It captures reds and greens just as they are supposed to be. But in spite of not being so blue like Fuji offerings (once again, the film and NOT the mountain), it still seems to be VERY capable when it comes to capturing that big, bold, blue sky that makes the high altitudes SO special.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 PM

Ektagraphic: This is exactly what I mean by the love of Kodachrome! Getting my photos back always took my breath away. If you do things right, Kodachrome gives you exactly what you'd visualized, and it makes doing things right easy.

matt8314: I agree. The Fujichromes tend toward blue. I haven't done any photography at what could be considered really high altitude, but I think generally the Fujichromes don't have as good a color balance as Kodachrome. The Fujichromes also don't give me nearly the shadow detail of Kodachrome. Shadows just seem to go black. It takes a lot of underexposure to make Kodachrome go truly black.