kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road
Default Life after Kodachrome

We may not be shooting Kodachrome any longer, but surely we are doing something with our stocks/stacks of processed Kodachrome. Plus, we still have our film cameras - what are we doing with those now?

I suggest that we exchange ideas and suggestions on these topics, here, in the Kodachrome Forum - though of course there are other places too.

My Kodachrome project after Kodachrome comes in three parts - first, produce a single composite print that will remind me of Kodachrome. I have still not made it, though. Second, find a slide film to use as my stock film in place of Kodachrome, Third, go back to some of the places I loved to photograph in Kodachrome, and shoot them with this new film.

The third part depends on the second, and unfortunately, every time I found a film I felt happy with, that too was discontinued. I am sure many of us feel the same. Oddly enough, I have finally settled on Ektachrome ESW - which provides a wonderful punch when the light and the subject are just right - not the same as Kodachrome, but a similar feel of something special. Yes, ESW was discontinued over 10 years ago, before Kodachrome, and it is hard to find any in good condition - hard, but possible - and it can still be processed. What is more, it was available until the end in 120 and sheet film, not just 35mm.

While I can still find some, I am going back with it to my Kodachrome haunts to carry on with the third part of my Kodachrome project. I'll come back with another posting on that later, and I hope other people will share their stories here too.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:17 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road
Default Life After Kodachrome...

Scrambling as I did to try to compile a "Kodachrome Project" before the curtain closed, I left unfinished two very distinct projects: a multi-year landscape project documenting the Canadian Rockies, from their northern to their southern end and a year-long photo essay documenting Vancouver Island. So, post-Kodachrome, I have resumed both efforts (simultaneously). As well, I started, about a year or so ago, an extended essay on the GVRD (aka the Lower Mainland...aka Home!). The hope, is to eventually publish the Vancouver project as a book.

True to form, all color work for the above efforts is being shot on reversal film (I started out with some 700 rolls of E100G/VS in 35mm and 120 format, back in the late spring of 2012). While I am optimistic my supplies of EK film will be sufficient to see the above efforts through, I have tested both Provia 100 and Velvia 100 as substitutes should the need arise.

Insofar as Kodachrome itself is concerned, I still have a few dozen boxes of slides from my last Dwayne's order that have yet - some three-and-a-half-years later, to be viewed and edited. BTW: I have the same "issue" with digital capture: I fill up cards, "toast" the obvious dogs and exposure screw-ups and file away. Call it some kind of middle-age malady, but I would rather be shooting than editing.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:39 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

This forum has at least given me the desire to shoot film again if nothing else, E6 in partucluar.

I like reversal films, there is something quite special about holding them up to the light and seeing a real picture.

Anyway, i had only ever shot c41 films up to 10 years ago, i initially was dissapointed i never got to shoot Kodachrome, but coming here after learning about the demise of kodachrome, i actually decided to start shooting E6, i bought a stockpile of E100g and e100vs and sone elitechrome and have been shooting it ever since, awesome film, and its sad to see that this supply will dry up eventually.
I initially didnt think that i would enjoy shooting E6 films, since its never the same as kodachrome, but TBH, i cant see anything wrong with it, and i feel that it still gives the vintage effect im after in photography.
I never ever thought i would be shooting film, but its given me interest, and potentially alot of others interest in analog photography, i hope we dont see the end of analog colour in our lifetimes.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:26 AM

denim is on a distinguished road
Default Velvia 100F

I switched to Velvia 100F quite a while ago, and stuck a brick of it in the fridge. It seems to still be good, on the occasion I take a couple rolls out and use them. I also have a similar quantity of Tri-X 400, one roll of which has been in my camera for the last week or so. Granted, that's not color, and the original reason I bought it was to play with some old developers. That's not going to happen, as I got sane about handling pyro before I actually tried it. I don't have a chemical lab-grade hood to handle that stuff in!

I was dismayed to find that 100F had been discontinued. :-/

One thing I'm having trouble figuring out is, what does one do with a 4x5 sheet of Velvia? Projecting it would require an overhead projector, no? A proper scanner would be huge, I'd think. And the file! oh my. Oh, wait. A flatbed scanner with transparency adapter would do it, but still.

Last edited by denim; 11-04-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
This forum has at least given me the desire to shoot film again if nothing else, E6 in partucluar.

I like reversal films, there is something quite special about holding them up to the light and seeing a real picture.

Anyway, i had only ever shot c41 films up to 10 years ago, i initially was dissapointed i never got to shoot Kodachrome, but coming here after learning about the demise of kodachrome, i actually decided to start shooting E6, i bought a stockpile of E100g and e100vs and sone elitechrome and have been shooting it ever since, awesome film, and its sad to see that this supply will dry up eventually.
I initially didnt think that i would enjoy shooting E6 films, since its never the same as kodachrome, but TBH, i cant see anything wrong with it, and i feel that it still gives the vintage effect im after in photography.
I never ever thought i would be shooting film, but its given me interest, and potentially alot of others interest in analog photography, i hope we dont see the end of analog colour in our lifetimes.
While it will be some time before I have exhausted my supply of E100G/VS, I am, nonetheless, anxious to see what our friends in Italy will bring to market. I will most likely turn to Provia 100 when the time comes, but I very interested in whatever our new entrants will offer in the way of ISO 400 and 800/1600 ISO.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
While it will be some time before I have exhausted my supply of E100G/VS, I am, nonetheless, anxious to see what our friends in Italy will bring to market. I will most likely turn to Provia 100 when the time comes, but I very interested in whatever our new entrants will offer in the way of ISO 400 and 800/1600 ISO.
Im excited to see what they come up with too, the world is really depending on them.
Looking at all the photos shot on scotchchrome 100, it looks somewhat similar to Kodak E100GX, with a bit more grain, but still quite acceptable. E100GX was a good film, so ferrania will fill the hole in the E6 market niceley, if they can introduce a film with more natural colours like E100g, and a vibrant version like E100vs, even better, along with higher speed versions like there is talk about doing.
I get the feeling that they will be mainly concentrating on E6 films for some time, but thats not an issue for me since this area of the market is dropping away, and there is plenty of C41 options out there and when they do reintroduce solaris, it will have to be an attractive alternative to kodaks offerings, from what ive read, some prefer it to portra.

As far as C41 films go, this new film from ADOX called colour implosion looks very interesting with all the vintage colours of the old colour films of the 60's and 70's
Old 12-17-2014, 10:29 AM

I wish I had been paying closer attention, NZ, to the activities of the folks at FILM Ferrania: I completely missed out on the Kickstarter effort! I would certainly have welcomed the opportunity to test out their film when it becomes available. As well, as I noted above, I have a - post death of Ektachrome P800/1600 and Provia 400X - particular interest in the faster films when (if?) they become available; in September, I am heading back to New Orleans and would love to have some faster E6 at my disposal. Wait and see I guess...
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 PM

james23p is on a distinguished road

I've mostly gone to Provia 100, the loss of all Kodak slide film has been particularly painful to be honest. I currently have a roll of Velvia in my N80 and I have a few Fuji mailers.

My biggest problem is my scanner died and now need a new one.

Jim
Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james23p View Post
I've mostly gone to Provia 100, the loss of all Kodak slide film has been particularly painful to be honest. I currently have a roll of Velvia in my N80 and I have a few Fuji mailers.

My biggest problem is my scanner died and now need a new one.

Jim
Dont Despair, Film Ferrania is here!

www.filmferrania.it
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
Dont Despair, Film Ferrania is here!
Well, not yet here, but it is on the horizon - which should please landscape photographers