kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > The Kodachrome Project..

Old 03-12-2015, 05:38 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
Yes i agree, Ferrania would be our best bet for producing kodachrome chemistry. When i put the idea forward to Dave Bias on the APUG forum, he was not against the idea and was open to the idea if we can give them more details, of course they have far more work on hand at present, but i firmly believe the future of colour photography now lies with them...
Interestingly, I wrote Film Ferrania an e-mail via their website and received a nice reply from them. They made it clear in no uncertain terms they have no intention of trying to resurrect Kodachrome.

Maybe they'd be open to recreating the chemistry though... I didn't ask specifically about that. Perhaps someday Kittlegraphy will return and maybe we can put him in contact with Ferrania?
Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

So I got back my roll of Rollei Digibase CR200. VERY disappointed-- it has a sickly yellow appearance to it. Each image looks as if it suffers from jaundice. So much for that option. Guess I better stock up on Ektar before Kodak folds.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 PM

wlodekmj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
So I got back my roll of Rollei Digibase CR200. VERY disappointed-- it has a sickly yellow appearance to it. Each image looks as if it suffers from jaundice. So much for that option. Guess I better stock up on Ektar before Kodak folds.
Many people report varying levels of this yellow cast, and there has been much discussion of the cause. One common suggestion is that the film is old, or the chemicals used to coat the emulsion are old. Yet the film is reported to be the same emulsion as Agfachrome 200 - which gets a bluish cast when it is old, not yellow. Light piping along the polyester base is another suggestion, but I have had 120 rolls showing yellowing, though they should not suffer from light piping. Other people get very acceptable colours, with just a warm tone. I have seen no satisfactory explanation, and keep trying a roll every few months, in the hope that a fresh batch will no longer show yellowing.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:48 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pharmboycu: If a (reversal) replacement for E100G/VS is your objective, I would suggest trying Fuji Provia 100F. The film has good neutrals and is fine-grained; I have begun testing it as a replacement (only in 120, so far) for E100G and am happy with the results. It is, up here anyway, more expensive than Rollei films (when they can be found), but, given the litany of problems folks have been having, a better trade-off.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Interestingly, I wrote Film Ferrania an e-mail via their website and received a nice reply from them. They made it clear in no uncertain terms they have no intention of trying to resurrect Kodachrome.

Maybe they'd be open to recreating the chemistry though... I didn't ask specifically about that. Perhaps someday Kittlegraphy will return and maybe we can put him in contact with Ferrania?
Ferrania have said the same thing on their APUG thread, although Dave Bias did not rule out the production of chemistry for someone to develop it, but he had to talk to the engineers and ask whats involved, it would be a one off order so would still be costly, but i think we need to find out whats happening with the K-Lab first and then see who can crowd fund for K14, it may give Ferrania a boost and some good publicity if they could help make it happen though.
Quote:
Ive never had any issues with this stock, but i did NOT buy the Rollei Digibase.

Ive shot Wittnerchrome 200 without any issues and they stand by the product, as do Lomography with their product made from the same stock, they also sell it in 110 format too!

I recommend everyone to purchase from Wittner-Cinetec or Lomography and get the orders coming through for this great film.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:06 PM

Prest_64 is on a distinguished road
Default Life before new Ektachrome

Once upon a time, words were written in some old group. Undusted by a recent discovery, finding ancient discussions
Soon as I know, followed a couple of links and ended on the site. I recall the forums were offline but clicked and it's live!

Interesting how things have evolved for a few years. Ferrania appeared and is advancing. Kodak decided to reintroduce an EKtachrome.

I still have one last lonely roll of Elitechrome in the freezer. I think I purchased that one in March 2011... Went through college and still have it. Still thinking what motive to shoot it with.

I recall that the Kodachrome project had an intention to publish, which I think he found difficulties, and later on falled behind other priorities. It would be extraordinary to see the body of work taken for the project and I think that amidst the rennaissance and evolution of internet media, there would be more interest and audience.

Tempus fugit

Learnt a lot on Kodachrome despite my very brief and stint experience with it. No regrets. I should unearth the slides and scan them one of these days.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:15 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Yes, it's so wonderful to have this forum back!

As I took out the rolls for my current southern Africa trip out of the freezer, I realized I'm getting fairly close to the end of my E100G stash in my freezer. (I still have E100VS to last somewhat longer, because I only use it for certain situations where I want the extra saturation and contrast.) I still have enough E100G for a few months at least, but sometime later this year I'll have to buy some newer film.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Default The Return of Ektachrome

Count me as another shooter delighted to see the impending return of Ektachrome! As I write, I am down to 82 rolls of E100G in 120, 31 rolls of E100VS and 74 rolls of E100G in 35mm (all deep-frozen since June 2012). Talk about timely! I'm curious, of course, as to how the upcoming E100 will compare to its predecessor. It would be grand to see Kodak offer up some faster reversal Ektachromes, but, failing that, there is the impending releases from Ferrania.

Interesting to note that Kodak, in a recent press release, has ruminated on the possibility of Kodachrome's return; I, for one, will not be holding my breath. While I would be delighted to see its return, I just cannot see it happening.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
I'm curious, of course, as to how the upcoming E100 will compare to its predecessor. It would be grand to see Kodak offer up some faster reversal Ektachromes, but, failing that, there is the impending releases from Ferrania.
And idea what this means:
"Kodak is currently working on a new kind of emulsion that meets new environmental regulations before it relaunches the film."
in terms that matter to the photographer?

As to faster speeds, with E100 coming back, that begs the question: Will any new faster reversal from other than Kodak actually work as well as simply pushing Kodak E100? (I opted to push E100 rather than buy Rollei 200 with its mixed reviews, and I was generally happy with the result.)

Last edited by sdkodachrome; 03-06-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
And idea what this means:
"Kodak is currently working on a new kind of emulsion that meets new environmental regulations before it relaunches the film."
in terms that matter to the photographer?

As to faster speeds, with E100 coming back, that begs the question: Will any new faster reversal from other than Kodak actually work as well as simply pushing Kodak E100? (I opted to push E100 rather than buy Rollei 200 with its mixed reviews, and I was generally happy with the result.)
I, too, was puzzled by the statement. Perhaps the EPA is implementing new environmental regulations that have yet to be publicly announced? If this is the case, I would expect all photographic materials to be affected. This would be odd considering the Neanderthal/environmental ignoramus currently occupying the White House. Possibly, the statement is a "political move" to prepare the market for a somewhat different Ektachrome, rather than the return of an E100G clone?

Insofar as the availability of faster film goes - and their respective qualities - we can only sit and wait on our friends at Ferrania. If nothing else, I look forward to the opportunity to test out their offerings. I'm particularly interested in anything ISO 800 and faster. I've had to forgo existing light colour (film-based) since the demise of Ektachrome P1600.