kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, The History and the Era

Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM

cbojanower is on a distinguished road
Default Kodachrome Basin State Park beat up

Here in Utah, like other states, times are tough. Well a report was just published by our legislature and Kodachrome Basin gets beat up pretty good in it. Apparently it is one of the most expensive parks in our state.

Look for our republican dominated legislature, who never met a park they didn't want to lease for oil exploration, to do something stupid with the park this session. Hopefully its only a few staff cutbacks.

http://le.utah.gov/audit/11_03rpt.pdf
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM

dmr is on a distinguished road

Glad I was able to photograph it last summer. (My last roll of you know what!)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

I think it's funny how much they claim visitation is so low during winter, as proved by low fee collection. Humbug. I was in several Utah state parks this November and December, and was only able to pay the fee (for one of my two visits there) to Kodachrome Basin, despite attempts everywhere. (But I didn't come prepared knowing the exact amount of admission fee, in part because Utah's State Parks website refuses to spell that out!!!)

Dead Horse Point took the cake: At 8:15 am I got a note in the parking lot on my car, saying I need to go back to the entrance station and pay my $10 fee. On the way back, I decided to check the Visitor's Center (on the way) first, and it was indeed closed. I went to the entrance station, and it said to take a payment envelope, but there were none (and no place for them), and then another sign referred me back to the visitor's center. Forget it!

Goblin Valley, I didn't have change, and there's no way to get change, nor is there a way to write in a credit card number, etc, seal that in an envelope, and drop in a secured slot. I was not about to leave a $20 for a $6 or $7 fee. I ran into someone who worked there, and asked about that, he said he had no change, and that he's just maintenance, and he's the only person there this week.

At Kodachrome Basin, I was only able to pay because there was that full-time ranger (periodically) at the entrance station. (But he refused to let me pay the second morning!)

Meanwhile, I propose a name change to Kodachrome Basin State Park which might help: Kodachrome Basin National Monument, or Bryce Canyon National Park, Kodachrome Basin Section. (Isn't the Kolob section of Zion further from the main part of Zion than Kodachrome Basin is from the main part of Bryce?) Ie, if they don't want their scenic state parks any more, might the feds be willing to take over one or more of them, especially one so conveniently co-located to a major National Park?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 AM

When I was there last summer the visitor center was staffed and they gladly took my $$$.

LOL, signs all over the place saying that they would not take a National Park pass.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 AM

SD, Utah's nut jobs would rather close the park than turn it over to the feds. Any land take over in Utah by the feds is fighting words to our legislature, right now they are trying to get land back
Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbojanower View Post
SD, Utah's nut jobs would rather close the park than turn it over to the feds. Any land take over in Utah by the feds is fighting words to our legislature, right now they are trying to get land back
But is the land at Kodachrome Basin really useful (other than as a scenic attraction)? IIRC correctly, the last deal was not for the feds to outright take net land, but to take new land that they wanted more while releasing land elsewhere that they wanted less and a third party wanted more. (But i can't recall if this was Utah or elsewhere.)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM

KevK is on a distinguished road

Ah yes. The classic solution is proposed in the report. Privatize the jewels so some well-connected donor can make big bucks off of public investments. I've seen it in the Forest Service campgrounds. Prices go up, the vendor makes the $$$ in a locked-in contract and the taxpayers still have to pay for the improvements.

I'm glad I was there ~15 years ago so I don't have to pay through the nose now.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM

I don't know the exact value of Kodachrome Basin, besides being a beautiful place. I do know the Utah republicans have been clamoring to sell oil and gas leases all throughout the Southern Utah area but have been blocked by the feds. If the area loses it's state park designation and there is oil or gas in the area, you will see a drilling rig in there.

Not sure about the swapping and where it stands. I do know that just a few weeks ago the feds laid claim to some new land and the legislators are going nuts. Right now there is a bill in the Utah legislature that basically says if the feds declare an area off limits, but the state disagrees, then the local sheriff will keep the land open to the locals . It will probably pass http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...grabs.html.csp

We have some scary people here And the sponsor of this bill is running for congress next session

Last edited by cbojanower; 01-25-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM

KevK is on a distinguished road

Wow. That is one scary politician. Interesting that most of the comments are against the proposal. I expected more comments in favor.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 AM

Default Utah ...

OT, I know, but I can't help thinking of the audience call-back line from a certain well-known cult film:

Frank: It's no crime to give yourself over to pleasure.

Audience: It is in Utah!