kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Moldyjohn is on a distinguished road
Default Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED flare

I recently purchased a new Coolscan 9000 specifically for my family's 60 years of Kodachromes. I've been fighting a problem of light areas next to dark areas, with an effect something like lens flare smudged over the dark area.
I have not seen this problem commented upon elsewhere so I'm assuming I got a lemon.
In the first photo, notice a light area in the girl's black pants just below the white shirt. In the other images, I progressively masked off the white areas to see the effect on the black area. Sure enough, with the white areas masked off, the black pants scan without any overcast artifacts. Even more interesting, in the masked areas there is a smear from the white areas that looks very similar to what we used to call bromide drag.
In any case this is absolutely unacceptable from even a cheap scanner. I have returned the Coolscan 9000 while it was still within the 30-day return period.
Has anyone else seen this problem with the Coolscans or any other scanner?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flare test.jpg (39.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM

mikegrados is on a distinguished road
Default My experience with KC scanning

It's going to be tough to explain with out pics but I'll give it a shot - here's my experience scanning 800+ family KC slides using an Epson V500:

With ICE on I get very sharp "pixelized" noise where the software attempts to interpret the image in areas between high contrast (black against white in a sharp line).

With ICE off it scans fine but I lose the dust removal.

My technique is to scan the slide twice, once with ICE on and then off. Open both in Photoshop as layers on top of the other. In low contrast, flat color areas I use the ICE layer and in high contrast areas I use the non ICE layer.

From there it's touched up with either the healing brush or blur tool at 25%.

There's a lot of posts here about scanning KC. Many scanners, even with KC software settings, have trouble correctly scanning KC - so I've read. It's the 3-D-ish quality of the emulsion itself.

Hope this helps or gives you another tool to work with.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Fredrik is on a distinguished road

Mike gives some good advice, but the flaring Moldyjohn mentions is something that is common with all Coolscans, and has nothing to do with ICE or other dust removal schemes. It appears around bright objects on a dark background. The problem seems worse with Kodachrome than other films, perhaps because Kodachrome slides are often contrasty and because of Kodachrome's high Dmax.

I have not found a good solution to the problem. The flares are very difficult to remove in post processing.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 PM

jcbenner is on a distinguished road

It is CCD flare. Typical problem with the Nikon scanners (all of them). Caused by the glass over the CCD. Some people have removed the glass with good improvement. Google it and you will find some info on how they did it.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM

kevinkar is on a distinguished road

I have to say I have NOT noticed any similar flare on my LS-2000 scans. At least not like the images provided by Moldyjohn. In fact, I have not noticed any issues like this much less any high-contrast blooming one might expect to see.

I'll have to run though my output to see if I can find any but I don't recall seeing it and I am pretty picky with my output so should have noticed this if it existed.

To me, it looks like Moldyjohn's 9000 had a true defect, not "typical" output (of course there ARE differences between the 2000 and 9000 so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about....!)

Kevin
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM

jcbenner is on a distinguished road

Here is an example of Nikon scanner CCD flare. This example is from a Nikon 5000 ED in new, clean working order.

The full frame:

A 100% crop showing typical Nikon CCD flare

And a sample of full frame and 100% crop from a non-Nikon scanner:

The Nikon scanners do fine with most images, but they have real problems with some light areas with adjacent black areas.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM

kevinkar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the samples. I'll go look over my output and see what I can find.

I will point out that I have seen similar output in some non-contrasty images but finally tracked it down to a setting in ACDSee that was displaying TIF images incorrectly (the exact setting escapes me at the moment). Once I turned that setting off, the odd vertical smears went away.

Just because I have not noticed this before doesn't mean it's not there so I'll go do some review and see what I have.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM

pfigen is on a distinguished road

Every CCD scanner I've ever used including Imacon have had nasty flare in high contrast adjacent areas and that's one of the main reasons besides resolution and d-max that sent me toward a real drum scanner. Even drum scanners suffer from this but to a much smaller degree and for a completely different reason.