kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, The History and the Era

Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Ektagraphic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ektagraphic

The oldest shots I own are not mine, but are from the early 50s of a family trip. I am not sure where they were taken, but there are some great foliage shots. I also have a great set from a vacation to london. Flea markets are a great place to find some old Kodachrome and to save them from the trash!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

The oldest Kodachromes that I have - and which I shot - date back only to 1979. The oldest 35mm Kodachrome slide in my possession, however (I was delegated the task of family archivist), dates to sometime in the late 1950s, part of the collection of my late father's work. The oldest Kodachrome of any format in my possession is, to the best of my knowledge, I am guessing, the 8mm Kodachrome film that my late grandfather shot - possibly in the mid-1950s or earlier (they reside in storage; the last time I recall viewing any of them I was likely in early adolescence).
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

I have an ancient set of bought slides of tourist attractions of London, two of the 12 are marked "Kodachrome Duplicate", the remainder are obviously another film (maybe Eastmancolor print film) as they have faded badly. One of the Kodachrome is a guardsman outside Buckingham Palace, his guardhut says "G VI R", i.e. King George VI, therefore not later than 1953.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 AM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

I bought my first camera in 1974. This was a Prakica LB SLR with a 50mm Domiplan lens. This camera featured an external light meter. I loaded it with Kodak print which cost the earth and even more to process it! Like most people that buy a camera I used it only for high days and holidays and eventually sold it to someone I worked with. Recently I looked at the prints which date from the early 1970ís and they all have a brown tinge and faded horribly.

Still with the bug of wanting to be a photographer I tried again in June 1979. This time with years of saving and a loan from my brother I bought an Olympus OM1 with a Zuiko 75-150mm Zoom lens. This was the camera of my dreams for a few years and I finally got it! The first roll loaded was Kodachrome 64. This film became the staple diet of this camera and lens combination. So my earliest Kodachrome dates from 1979.

Chris
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 PM

KevK is on a distinguished road

I have a lot of Kodachrome slides starting in the early 1950's that my Aunt took. Following the footsteps of my Dad, I almost exclusively used negative film until I heard Kodachrome was being discontinued so I only have Kodachrome from the end but they are some of my best photos as I used a Leica camera to shoot the fall colors in Zion National Park and the weather was very agreeable.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 AM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

Though stereo kodachrome slides can date much earlier, my oldest ones are from 1951. Here is one I posted before, but now that I finally have a decent scanner, it deserves a new posting which shows off the quality much better than my previous attempt.

En Route, 1951

Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 PM

lxdude is on a distinguished road

3Dhillary, could you also post the two images side-by-side, so the 3D effect can be seen by defocusing/crossing the eyes? The GIF is interesting, though a little dizzying, but I'd like to see the image in 3D. Thanks.
I love the old pictures from back then. Things have changed so much, but the old Kodachromes bring those times to life!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 PM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

Here you go lxdude! This is posted for cross-eye viewing.

And here is another one from 1951, also set-up for cross-eye.

You are right about how the vividness of Kodachrome can make the past seem so immediate. Enjoy!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

Hi 3Dhillary

The colour quality here is truly fantastic - looks like it was taken a few weeks ago. I have to say a few weeks because in Britain we never had access to faster processing turn around times.

Chris
Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sweetman View Post
Hi 3Dhillary

The colour quality here is truly fantastic - looks like it was taken a few weeks ago. I have to say a few weeks because in Britain we never had access to faster processing turn around times.

Chris
In the 1970's I belonged to a small photo club who often went out on picture-taking trips on a Saturday. An exposed Kodachrome film posted to Kodak Ltd., Box 14, Hemel Hempstead, on the next day, Sunday, was reliably back from processing by the following Thursday morning at the latest, in good time for the transparencies to be discussed at the club meeting that evening.

(No Sunday mail collections now in the U.K. And first class postage for a film in the 1970's was around 6 pence.... mail for one film now costs (second class) £2.60. A 4,333% increase....wish my salary had done the same!)