kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, The History and the Era

Old 02-21-2008, 06:47 AM

Photo Utopia is on a distinguished road
Default What's the oldest Kodachrome you own?

The oldest one I've seen was a shot of a 1947 VW on a Swiss mountain pass, but unfortunately it was for a customer so I couldn't keep it.
My oldest recollection is family Kodachromes from the 1960's but the oldest one I own is this one from 1957:

The first roll I used was in 1981 and was K64, how about you?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 PM

dmr is on a distinguished road

I do have some (Kodachrome II, IIRC) from the early 1970s, when I was still in high school -- however, a conversation on another system reminds me that there may be some older Kodachrome movie film from as early as the 1950s still in the stepmom's cellar.

When I was young we had a movie camera, one of the old Revere wind-up ones, and I think most of the color movie film from that era was Kodachrome. I definitely remember the yellow box.

Next time I'm out there I'll go digging, 'cuz I do recall a box that had some 8mm movie reels being in there a few years ago.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Dan_KR64 has disabled reputation

I was 13 when I started shooting Kodachrome, 1980 with Kodachrome 25. We were a very poor family, so I had to really scrounge for the money. The one and only time I was busted for shoplifting was when I was 15 and tried to lift 12 rolls of 25...

The oldest Kodachrome I have is this one of a famous lift in Aspen from 1957. At the time of it's installation in the mid 40's, it was the fastest lift in the world. The man who envisioned lift served skiing in Aspen, Friedl Pfeiffer, actually paid the company for the lift *after* it was installed. Apparently he had already put lifts in via the same company in Sun Valley and other places and had some clout:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lift_1A_1957.jpg (15.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 PM

uwphotoer is on a distinguished road

The oldest Kodachrome I have was taken by my grandfather of my mother in her brownie uniform..... she was born in 1929 so my guess would be maybe 1937 or 38.... it looks like it was taken yesterday... the colors are perfect.... but then again my grandfather was shooting Kodachrome of The Flying Wallendas in the late 30's too.... I even have the article he wrote in Popular Science about the flash set up he designed to shoot such a slow film under the big top..... cool stuff.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 AM

garyp is on a distinguished road

I started shooting Kodachrome when I started photography, which was in 1971.
Still have'em all, they're still in good shape.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM

FilmSprocket is on a distinguished road

The oldest Kodachrome I own is a 35mm slide of a scene in Paris from the 1930's. I'll have to confirm that when I go back to that file, but based on the mount and the cars in the scene, I think I may be accurate on that.

Other than that, I have a Kodachrome set of slides taken by an amateur of the 1946 Tournament of Roses Parade in California.

I still have the first Kodachromes I shot from 1972.

Marc
Old 03-28-2008, 05:30 PM

fenderslash is on a distinguished road

When I bought my first decent camera in about 1986 or so my first film of choice was Kodachrome 64, so my earliest self-taken Kodachromes are from that era. The reason I chose Kodachrome was because I have always been facinated with old family slides belonging to my parents and grandparents, so I had first-hand knowledge of how Kodachrome and non-Kodachrome slides look in comparison as time goes by.

The earliest Kodachromes I own are many slides that I inherited from my Grandfather, the ealiest of which date back to about 1957.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:32 AM

budrichard is on a distinguished road

I started using K in 1960. Slide are still good.
The film however will degrade, at least exposed film as I found out when I found a few rolls I had not processed.-Dick
Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 AM

StorminMatt is on a distinguished road

My mom has a Kodachrome taken by my grandpa of herself with her brother and her mom back when they still lived in Czechoslovakia. I believe the picture was taken in 1948. But it looks like it was shot yesterday. If I can get a hold of it, I might try to scan it.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:00 AM

'As You Know' Bob is on a distinguished road

I inherited some of my father's, going back as far as 1944; I started shooting it myself around 1976. (With a few frames (...on my father's cameras) before that.)