kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, The History and the Era

Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM

nickrapak is on a distinguished road

I have one shot of my father's graduation, shot in the 1970s, or thereabouts. I also have several K-12 8mm movies from the 1960s. All still good!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 PM

kennethcooke is on a distinguished road

My oldest Kodachrome II 25 asa slides, which I have shot go back to 1965 including shots climbing in the English Lake District. They were taken on a Pentax S1a 50mm Takumar lens and are still wonderful. I project on a Leica P300 Pradovit projector. I am thinking of investing in a scanner then I will be able to post some of them

With deepest Regrets- Kenneth
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Terrence Brennan is on a distinguished road
Default Old Kodachromes

I have old Kodachrome 8mm movies of me, taken by my father, which date from about 1956 or 1957. I also have two 35mm Kodachrome slides, taken by a family friend, which are of the same vintage. I haven't viewed the movies for probably 25+ years, and it would be interesting to see how those old films look, compared to Ektachrome and Dynachrome movies, which are 10-15 years newer. That's winter project, get a Dual-8 projector to view the oldies again.

However, I was showing the slides to my wife a few evenings ago, and they still look good, even though they are 50+ years old (I should look so good!).
Old 09-22-2008, 01:29 PM

james23p is on a distinguished road

You know for me I first used Kodachrome in spring of 1978 and no it was not 35mm it was 110 but by accident. My dad had bought me a Kodak 110 camera for my 8th grade Washington trip and when I was at the hotel I bought some film as I had left the film my dad bought at home. He was not happy when I got home as this was slide film and it had to be sent off thru the local Photo-mat(everyone remember them the small building). Then he had to buy one of those hand held viewers to view them but he loved the results so when he bought himself a Pentax ME super, Kodachrome was the film he bought first. When I got my Nikon EM I used some Kodachrome and this was the end of 1979 and never stopped since. I think my first few rolls of Kodachrome were K-12 process but I am not sure this was at the end of the K-12 era as the K-14 was taking over by 1979(really 1976 I think if anyone has a link to the history I would love to read about it) but I do not know a way to tell. But I am sure the first few boxes were old stock from the local drug store but I could be wrong.

Jim

PS when did they stop processing K-12 any idea guys.

Last edited by james23p; 09-22-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:58 PM

Gabby Hayes is on a distinguished road

I have some 35mm Kodachromes my dad took using his Kodak Retina camera while I was at scout camp back in 1959. The oldest from my own collection are Kodachrome II slides taken with a Voigtländer rangefinder during my army days in Germany in 1968. As expected, they look as crisp and clear as the day they were taken. Wish I could say the same about myself.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 AM

hujev is on a distinguished road

I have some, not mine since this was long before I was born, from the early '50s that I bought on ebay of some people that I don't know. Magnificent, perfect colo(u)rs, apparently absolutely unchanged! Those 3-d reds!!

Last edited by hujev; 02-13-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-2009, 06:26 PM

dave_gt is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm....now that I think about it, I must be the only one in my family who ever has used Kodachrome...at least, I never remember any around the house while growing up. We were quite the lowest working class, so black and white film pictures were the only ones taken.

But, my own use of Kodachrome dates to the middle Seventies after my wife and I married. The slides I have archived so far date from 1977 onward and are amazing quality! Look like they were taken yesterday.

The really amazing thing about seeing those slides after so many years...I remember each moment when I pressed the shutter. But, I still cannot remember which camera I used...the Nikon FM? Minolta? I dunno...
Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 PM

tshoe25 is on a distinguished road

My father-in-law has a bunch of Kodachromes his father took back in the 1940s. Last year he (the father-in-law) and I worked on putting them into order and getting them all into archival sheets. Most of the images still look very sharp and have good color and grain.

My own father started taking Kodachromes in 1967, so that must be Kodachrome II, asa 25. He was using a Yashica Lynx-5000 to take them, which he later passed on to me when he got his first SLR, in 1980. He still has all of those slides, in archival sheets, and they still look great.

My first Kodachromes were taken on 110 film in 1979, in my Kodak Tele-EKTRA 1 instamatic. As I mentioned above, a year later I moved up to the Yashica 35mm, and began really shooting in earnest. I still have all of those slides, and (big surprise) they still look very clear, colorful, and sharp.

Last edited by tshoe25; 02-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 AM

mo-z is on a distinguished road
Default My earliest Kodachrome slides

My first serious camera was a Nikon FTN that I bought in 1972 and the first roll of film I shot with it was Kodachrome II.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM

amadjuster is on a distinguished road
Default Early Kodachrome

I have some slides taken in 1953. My dad had a Zeiss Ikon with a 2.8 lens and a lot of the pictures were dark as the ASA (that's what it was called then) was pretty slow. I think it was 8! Anyway, the shots were taken after using a light meter and most are not just real sharp. He also used an old Kodak Retina(!) 35mm. I still have both of these cameras. As I recall, since I was pretty young then, there was just one version of Kodachrome back then and you bought the film with processing mailers from Kodak. It was pretty handy as you would drop a roll into the mailbox while on vacation and your slides were waiting for you when you got home. I even have the old slide projector and original glass bead screen.

I am attaching a shot taken in 1953 or 1954 and I have no idea what the process was called then, but this was a few years before K-12 came out. The picture is a little fuzzy but the colors are pretty good after 56 years! I scanned this off the slide and the slide looks a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953jeeptrip2.jpg (103.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by amadjuster; 04-05-2009 at 11:22 AM.