Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

Bumped again
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

And yet again...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Default A moment (or two) of nostalgia...

After some deliberation - a more than a healthy amount of procrastination - I finally purchased a refrigerator for archival storage of my film (color and black and white). The slides are to be kept in archival boxes and then packaged in Ziplock bags sealed with freezer tape; the black and white in pages/binders according to format/date and similarly packaged/sealed (using 1" binders). The freezer compartment, of course, provides a convenient excuse to purchase film in bulk...

Looking through some of my early work when cataloguing, I am (although, I certainly should not be) still astonished at the vibrancy of Kodachromes shot almost three-and-a-half decades ago. I can only hope that the Ektachrome E100G/VS that I am shooting at present fares as well. For the record, and betraying my paranoid nature; the film is edited upon return from processing, catalogued and then sent into refrigerated storage. Given that Ektachrome is no longer available (except on ...), I shoot color, when circumstances and time allow, on both digital and analogue, the latter serving as my archive. Man...I miss my Kodachrome...
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 AM

Yet another bump... Time to move out of Mom's basement and get a real job, don't you think so?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Prest_64 is on a distinguished road

If Dan soon released his book, we could be talking about how to store photo books instead He is absorbed by his job and other things, but I recall a post about a month ago on APUG where he mentioned he was still slowly working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
After some deliberation - a more than a healthy amount of procrastination - I finally purchased a refrigerator for archival storage of my film (color and black and white). The slides are to be kept in archival boxes and then packaged in Ziplock bags sealed with freezer tape; the black and white in pages/binders according to format/date and similarly packaged/sealed (using 1" binders). The freezer compartment, of course, provides a convenient excuse to purchase film in bulk...

Looking through some of my early work when cataloguing, I am (although, I certainly should not be) still astonished at the vibrancy of Kodachromes shot almost three-and-a-half decades ago. I can only hope that the Ektachrome E100G/VS that I am shooting at present fares as well. For the record, and betraying my paranoid nature; the film is edited upon return from processing, catalogued and then sent into refrigerated storage. Given that Ektachrome is no longer available (except on ...), I shoot color, when circumstances and time allow, on both digital and analogue, the latter serving as my archive. Man...I miss my Kodachrome...
For Kodachrome and B&W it is overkill
I can be at times a bit of an archive obsessed person but not that much lately.
My dad's Film and Prints are kept in a room (which I am now at) and given part of the material is from the late 70s onwards (agfachrome, misc usual Kodak prints and negs) most of it is fine given it's less stable than modern materials. Well, but the room itself is a refrigerator in winter.

I do miss Kodachrome too. Frankly, for me it was more convenient than the other film alternatives. Paid Processing, send out at the local mail and receive some weeks after. E6 was more expensive even by then for me.
I do want to go medium format, but if I did I'd be broke. I am stuck at a point where ending a 36 exp roll is a task that takes decades for me and is too much. 8-12 frames seem ideal to me.
Add to it that I now got a m4/3 and it's harder to bring the OM1 along.
However, lately I've gotten the bug of sending out to print digital files. Much better to have some print that the files that can become smoke and vanish at any time.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_64 View Post
Much better to have some print that the files that can become smoke and vanish at any time.
Well, multiple prints distributed to different people in different places will protect against that, but backing up your digital files far offsite will also protect them. One copy of digital files is perhaps more vulnerable than one copy of a slide, but periodically backed up (and kept elsewhere) digital files become more reliable due to the capability of making "lossless" backups, while of course each slide dupe loses something compared to the original.

(Disclaimer: This is a Thursday morning "bump" disguised as a real post!)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:16 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
Well, multiple prints distributed to different people in different places will protect against that, but backing up your digital files far offsite will also protect them. One copy of digital files is perhaps more vulnerable than one copy of a slide, but periodically backed up (and kept elsewhere) digital files become more reliable due to the capability of making "lossless" backups, while of course each slide dupe loses something compared to the original.

(Disclaimer: This is a Thursday morning "bump" disguised as a real post!)
Copying digital files requires the right equipment and has to cater for the changes of format thrust upon computer users every few years. The present head of my former business reminded me recently of the Zip Disks which we were using for back-up in the early 2000's....fortunately the backed-up files had to be kept for only for six years, as they now have no means of reading the disks!

A print needs no more than the human eye to read, it's not too difficult to cobble together a workable enlarger for negatives, and even building a movie projector would not be beyond the skills of an experienced person with a few machine tools. But I doubt that anyone could build an Iomega Zip drive from scratch, not forgetting the necessary software with totally new drivers for the current versions of Windows.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:

For Kodachrome and B&W it is overkill
I can be at times a bit of an archive obsessed person but not that much lately.
My dad's Film and Prints are kept in a room (which I am now at) and given part of the material is from the late 70s onwards (agfachrome, misc usual Kodak prints and negs) most of it is fine given it's less stable than modern materials. Well, but the room itself is a refrigerator in winter.

Prest_64: If I lived in a less humid environment, I would be inclined to agree with you! However, here on the Left Coast, summers tend to be on the humid side; and winters aren't referred to as "The Rainy Season" without reason. I would rather error on the side of caution and opt for the controlled temperature and humidity route - the expense is relatively minor. Besides, I have not only my own work to worry about:I was also delegated the responsibility for maintaining the family archive!

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 09-12-2013 at 10:20 AM.