kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 AM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road
Default Nikon Scanners and Windows 7?

Okay, so my old XP laptop bit the dust, and I replaced it with a new Windows 7 laptop. The problem is that the Nikon drivers don't seem to work with Windows 7. Furthermore, Nikon does not have any kind of software update. And rumor has it that Nikon does not intend to make any updates that would support the use of their scanners with Windows 7. Is there any third party software out there which might include drivers? It seems like Vuescan and Silverfast still use the Nikon drivers. So they are out. Is there anything else out there that might work. Or has my LS-50 just become a worthless brick?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:49 PM

uwphotoer is on a distinguished road

It's as useful as my Nikon LS-2000, I have it hooked up to a really old mac so I can make files to transfer over to a newer computer to work with...... but I can still make a scan..... SCSI lol
Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 PM

i40west is on a distinguished road

VueScan does not use the Nikon drivers. It should work.

My understanding is that Nikon is actually pointing people to VueScan now that they aren't updating their own software.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Hellashot is on a distinguished road

I was reading in a magazine over the weekend that suggested that Nikon was selling film scanners that is currently had but had not been updating software for newer operating systems. As if to suggest that they may not make any new scanners.

I am using my Minolta Scan Dual 4 on my old computer that runs Windows XP because it won't run on Vista.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM

kevinkar is on a distinguished road

I have an LS-2000 from 2000 which plugs into an Adaptec SCSI host adapter and has worked relatively flawlessly for 10 years on Windows 95, 2000, and XP. Sadly, W7 is not in its future.

1) Adaptec no longer supports their old adapters (mine is a 2940U2W) and W7 really does not support them either. However, Vista drivers do appear to allow the adapter to technically be recognized and function. Both my Epson Expression 636 and Nikon LS-2000 scanners are recognized as being installed and "functioning correctly" by Windows.

2) While the Epson software functions (albeit with an error dialog I can cancel and subsequently scan successfully) and the Nikon software starts up and appears to run, the Nikon scanner is not SEEN by the software because the software requires there to be an ASPI layer installed and ASPI is NOT supported in W7. I have not yet tried SilverFast or VueScan for the Nikon. I'm surprised the Epson (at least 3 years older than the Nikon) works but the Nikon doesn't.

I don't see a way around this other than to dual boot between XP and W7. Since I don't scan every minute of every day, this is ok for me. It's just a matter of deciding whether to install and dual boot XP and W7 on the same hard drive or to use separate installations on removable hard drives. Either is ok though dual booting on one drive is a bit more complex.

So, I think the hurdle will be to figure out how to force old hardware to work in W7 and your new laptop which may be difficult unless some genius posts a solution on the internet. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out a way to dual boot (even using XP mode on W7 may fail if W7 does not properly see the scanner but it's worth a try) meaning you'll have to install XP somehow which may not be an option for you.

An avenue to try might be to build/buy a barebones desktop for a couple hundred and just use that for scanning. Unfortunately, you'd still have to figure out how to install XP if you don't have a copy.

I also have an old Logitech MouseMan Marble Wheel mouse that is NOT supported properly in W7 because Logitech won't make a new driver for it. That's ludicrous. Three buttons, a wheel, and a rollerball? Come on! How difficult is it to write a new driver? They just want you to buy new hardware.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM

jcbenner is on a distinguished road

I'm using a Nikon LS-5000 with Windows 7 (32-bit) via USB without any issues.

Are you using 64-bit Windows 7? If so, this may be of help:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...-vista-64.html

see note at end about Windows 7.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM

I've seen that Vista 32 -> 64 bit trick and tried it on my LS-2000 in W7 but it failed. The bigger issue for me is not the Nikon driver so much as it is support for SCSI.

The SCSI pathway requires an ASPI layer which is not supported in Vista or W7 no matter what driver you are using for the scanner. And of course I have never been successful at using any SCSI to USB adapter that the scanner software will actually recognize.

So for me, not sure about the OP, it's a done deal. Must dual boot to XP for film scanning. That's not a big deal as it only takes a few minutes to reboot and I don't scan constantly. Only now and then so it's no big deal.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 PM

john123 is on a distinguished road

there could be a problem that your nikon not working with window7 but i dont think so that nikon does not intend to update with window's 7
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john123 View Post
there could be a problem that your nikon not working with window7 but i dont think so that nikon does not intend to update with window's 7
Well, it's at least a 10-year-old scanner that's SCSI based and only officially works with outdated unsupported Nikon software (NikonScan 3).

Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not support ASPI which is a required pathway for this scanner. The Adaptec SCSI card I am using is not officially supported in Windows 7 by Adaptec though I can force a driver to work. This allows a Jaz drive to work as well as an ancient Epson flatbed scanner but sadly the LS-2000 will not.

Because of these limitations, neither NikonScan nor Silverfast will see/access the LS-2000. I have not yet tested to see if VueScan can work with it. Even so, that's not always the best solution as Silverfast actually calibrates with Kodachrome better than VueScan.

And Nikon is pretty much done with film scanners and there's no money to be made in updating their software to work with Windows 7. The LS-2000 does not ever work with NikonScan 4. So, while ou'd think they'd provide updates, I don't see it happening for the SCSI-based LS-2000. Maybe the USB based LS-5000 or 9000 but not the old 2000.

So a dual boot into XP is my only remaining option for now.

The original poster's LS-50 is almost as old and just as unsupported by Nikon. We are both out of luck unless we can possibly find a reasonably priced LS-9000 but they are extremely difficult to find and I'd have a tough time buying a used one knowing how sensitive these devices are.

Last edited by kevinkar; 04-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 AM

hub is on a distinguished road

I don't know about Windows itself but it seems that for the Nikon Scanner, the Mac user also unsupported left in the ditch as Nikon does not support MacOS X with SCSI scanners, and even the 9000 ED has very bad support for any recent version of MacOS.

I'm very angry at Nikon for that.

Nikon SCSI scanner can be used with the Ratoc USB to SCSI adapter. I have one right here for my LS-30 (just that now the LS-30 needs a lube job, I digress). It is supported on Windows as well.

For the driver VueScan does the job, including on Windows (I have been told)

People might want to investigate that direction.