kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, The History and the Era

Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM

Jed Skillman is on a distinguished road

3-D Hillary...You are spot on with your comment that 3-D pictures used to offer a trip through space but now, looking at older stereos, offer a trip through time.

One of the important things about old stereo slides or View Master reels, the travel ones, is the insight of how things used to be, how people lived. It is just magic.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM

kevinkar is on a distinguished road

There's nothing quite like looking at an old reel to find an old Greyhound bus but not the streamlined corrugated aluminum ones of the 50s and beyond. NO! I'm talking the old OLD ones like Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert rode in "It Happened One Night". Way cool.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:29 PM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jed. I'll never forget the first vintage stereo Kodachromes I saw; Florida orange groves and Cypress Gardens! It was such a strange feeling--looking through time! Until then, I hadn't even considered the many V-M reels which have now become vivid documents of a bygone era.

And kevinkar, I know what you mean, seeing those great images of life just as it was. Those early V-M reels give us an even farther glimpse into the past than the Realist slides. If you have any success scanning a V-M pair (perhaps with that Greyhound bus ), it would be easy to post as I did mine. There is freeware available called Stereo Photo Maker and it's so easy to use. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/
Old 08-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhillary View Post
BTW, you can shoot in 3D with your Olympus by taking two quick exposures, shifting your weight from one foot to the other in between. It's called the "cha cha" method, and works best on non-moving subjects.
Hi 3Dhillary

I did try out the "cha cha" method but with a manual wind on camera I had to take it away from my eye to wind onto the next frame to re-compose. In doing so I lost the subject!

Unfortunately, I never bothered to purchase a motor drive or winder for my OM cameras. I feel this piece of equipment is what is required to enable this technique to work.

Also your regarding 3-D image despite many attempts I was unable to get a 3 dimensional image.

Never mind I did have a go a both!

Cheers Chris
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Skillman View Post
One of the important things about old stereo slides or View Master reels, the travel ones, is the insight of how things used to be, how people lived. It is just magic.
You are not wrong here Jed. My favourites are the English holiday resorts. Here we see a different holiday style to todays. People seem to be content with just exploring a place and viewing the sites. Also I enjoy seeing the the vehicles of the day actually used for their intended purpose. I now see these now at transport events. They are lovingly restored and are the pride of the owner.

Cheers Chris
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sweetman View Post
Also your regarding 3-D image despite many attempts I was unable to get a 3 dimensional image.

Never mind I did have a go a both!
No worries, Chris. I appreciate you trying those techniques anyway. That cross-eyed viewing doesn't work for everyone, but you may want to come back to it after a few weeks and try it again. It may just pop into place, and you'll see it in 3D like Clay did. It's strange, but sometimes it works that way.

Funny thing about those old scenic views. Tracking internet auctions, I've seen so many 3D Kodachrome slides of flowers. Seems a natural subject for color film, and in depth. Yet there is practically no interest in those, and they often get no bids Flowers haven't changed much in the last half century. But vintage views such as those showing busy streets teeming with pedestrians and automobiles are very desirable. It's that whole "time capsule" aspect which attracts people today. I can take my own slides of flowers, but I can't take a slide of Times Square as it looked in 1946.

It's those images which reminds me of what the archaeologist Belloq tells Indiana Jones while showing him a pocket watch:

Look at this. It's worthless - ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless.

And it doesn't even have to take a thousand years.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Smile

Quote:
Funny thing about those old scenic views. Tracking internet auctions, I've seen so many 3D Kodachrome slides of flowers. Seems a natural subject for color film, and in depth. Yet there is practically no interest in those, and they often get no bids Flowers haven't changed much in the last half century. But vintage views such as those showing busy streets teeming with pedestrians and automobiles are very desirable. It's that whole "time capsule" aspect which attracts people today. I can take my own slides of flowers, but I can't take a slide of Times Square as it looked in 1946.
Hi 3Dhillary

I think you have "hit the nail on the head" here. Flowers haven't altered at all in 50 years but the view of the "High Street" has. So this is why time capsule
photographs will always attract a premium over natural history images.

In a few weeks time I will get back to that 3D image you have posted and I bet/hope it will come to life!

Cheers Chris
Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 AM

Hi Chris,

I appreciate you planning on giving the 3D another go sometime in the future. To that end, I'll include another Kodachrome stereo pair set up to be viewed the same way. It's of my hubby in an old vehicle of ours. To us, such classics (cars, old cameras, etc. ) are not merely museum pieces, but are meant to be used for their intended purpose. And to us, the natural habitat for an old convertible is the drive-in restaurant on a warm summer night!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM

dmr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And to us, the natural habitat for an old convertible is the drive-in restaurant on a warm summer night!
OMG! I can actually make those work! Way cool! Same for the one of the wedding with the bubbles right out there!

Please post more if you have them.

Thanks.

Now excuse me while I go take a triple dose of ergotamine.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
OMG! I can actually make those work! Way cool! Same for the one of the wedding with the bubbles right out there!

Please post more if you have them.

Thanks.

Now excuse me while I go take a triple dose of ergotamine.
LOL! Be careful, dmr! Don't cross your eyes too long, or they'll stay that way!

I'll post some great vintage Kodachrome stereos later, but for now, here's my attempt at a View-Master type shot taken at the New York Museum of Natural History: