kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Gary Anderson is on a distinguished road
Default Kodachrome 25 Scanning Advice

Hello, I'm new to this group and would appreciate your advice and help. I have thousands of Kodachome 25 slides which I would like to scan, I'm using an imac and would like to get a dedicated slide scanner in the 5-6 hundred dollar price range. All help and comments are welcome. Thanks, Gary
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM

AndrewKirkby is on a distinguished road

If you are keen to troll ebay for a while, look for a Nikon Coolscan 5000 or 8000. The 9000ED are still too expensive even second hand.

Maybe even look at renting a day with an Imacon scanner. The results are noticeably better than the Nikon scanners.

For best results you will need to calibrate the scanner with a Silverfast It8 or Kodak Kodachrome calibration target to get accurate colour
Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 AM

budrichard is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Nikon 5000 ED new over a year ago and was expecting to have to go the Silverfast and Cal Target route but in actual use with the K setting on the Nikon, no problems. Scans are problem free and as accurate as I want. Have had 16x20 prints made by Mpix with excellent results.-Dick
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 AM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road

I have a Coolscan V ED that I picked up for around $400 a little over a year ago. It works pretty good. Certainly MUCH better than the flatbed I used to have. Also, from my experience, it is best to set the scanner so that you get nef (Nikon raw) files rather than the more common tif or jpeg. This way, even if you have a cheap photo editing program like Photoshop Elements, you can adjust white balance with the raw editor (just as you can for raw files from a DSLR). This ability alone can make a MAJOR difference when it comes to color accuracy.