kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Lab Tips & Quality Control

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Yep... still here... still checking the forum everyday to see if anything new is to be found. Alas, no changes. It's sad... we're approaching the 1 year anniversary of the passing of Kodachrome and still no news of any way to get anything processed in color. I wonder how long that roll of K200 pictures of my nephew will languish in Mom and Dad's freezer?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 AM

lxdude is on a distinguished road

Yep, hangin' in.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM

Clay is on a distinguished road
Default Still Here

Yup,

Still check in every day.

Best regards,

/Clay
Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

come on klittlegraphy! say something put us out of our misery! lol
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
come on klittlegraphy! say something put us out of our misery! lol
I keep dreaming of it too.

On a different note, I sent an e-mail to The Impossible Project regarding Kodachrome. I haven't heard anything back, but I am hopeful that I'll hear something. I wondered if it would be possible for them to look into Kodachrome processing as another "impossible project" they could bring to fruition. I can't imagine it would be any less profitable than bringing back polaroid film... even if they had to charge $25-50 a roll for processing it would still be nice to have the option.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Yup,

Still check in every day.

Best regards,

/Clay
So do I, but I fear that no news is not good news in this case.

I don't see why there should be no contact at all from Kittlegraphy unless his plans have proved unworkable. Does anyone have any direct contact currently?

Much against my hopes I start to think that, realistically, K-14 processing (and, by that, I mean results comparable with the quality of the "real thing") is now history,

Last edited by RichardE; 12-07-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Default R&D

Patience. R&D takes time and bags of money. It's only been a
year since Dwayne's magnificent effort ended. I may not
live long enough but some of you will.

Best regards,

/Clay
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Default Impossible Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
I keep dreaming of it too.

On a different note, I sent an e-mail to The Impossible Project regarding Kodachrome. I haven't heard anything back, but I am hopeful that I'll hear something. I wondered if it would be possible for them to look into Kodachrome processing as another "impossible project" they could bring to fruition. I can't imagine it would be any less profitable than bringing back polaroid film... even if they had to charge $25-50 a roll for processing it would still be nice to have the option.

Latest news is that they have no plans for Kodachrome:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/12/the...ad-kodachrome/

Best regards,

/Clay

Last edited by Clay; 12-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Latest new is that they have no plans for Kodachrome:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/12/the...ad-kodachrome/

Best regards,

/Clay
I can understand their view...no doubt re-inventing Polaroid is a major task and quite enough for them to be going-on-with both technically and financially. Also Polaroid is a totally unique product (excluding, perhaps Fuji's instant products, which are not quite the same thing) whereas there are still several other fine color reversal films available (and even those could be seen as being a declining market).

Last edited by RichardE; 12-10-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 PM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Also, it was easy to pin down the original impossible project, since the film and developing with Polaroid-type instant film were one.

The interest in revising Kodachrome is more scattered, however. There are people who want to just revive processing, which has a limited market at maximum of the unprocessed rolls out there (and dwindling as time goes by as some people opt to develop in B&W or just throw out, especially unshot rolls). There is a much smaller subset who want both the film and the processing brought back, but in Kodachrome's case those are two completely separate efforts.

Many of the people who would be theoretically interested in Kodachrome developing for new shooting might turn out not to be so interested if prices for developing were way way higher than Dwayne's had been or than any E6 is today.

Half the interest in the project seems to be only if it's done at the "hobby" level where it'll presumably be made affordable because the person doing it will understand "us". But if it were done by "someone outside" like the Impossible Project, would there be any reason to expect that it would be kept "affordable"? No, I would instead expect "Rocky Mountain" type of pricing in such a case. (Not that that pricing model seemed to work out so well for Rocky Mountain either!)

It seems to me a revival of K-14 that's feasible would only work if it's either done by people who want it for themselves (among others), or who simply relish the technical challenge on its own merits (and are at least friends with our community). I don't see how it can be done by any corporation.

(What a corporation could theoretically try to do, but this is something completely different, would be to try to create an E6 film that matched K-14 Kodachrome "end results" more closely than existing E6 films. But that would do nothing, of course, for the people with Kodachrome rolls that have already been shot waiting in their freezers. And it would be hard to achieve, if only because so few people can agree on what the actual "kodachrome" look is that they're trying to recapture. The average film-shooting public seems to be very confused about the difference between late K-14 Kodachromes versus 40s/50s era Kodachromes, but to me they look radically different. And no way could one "Kodachrome-replacement" film match all those eras of Kodachrome simultaneously!)