kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Lab Tips & Quality Control

Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_KR64 View Post
The K-Lab is still safely stored, but as one might imagine, getting it to work will be a daunting task at best. So what I think is reasonable to expect is that it could be setup to do some runs and then the funding will have ran out, most interested parties will have developed their remaining film and Kodachrome will once again go back to sleep. I don't think that there is anyway to do this other than a combination of getting a grant of say, $50,000-$150,000 for chemistry manufacture and then charging people around $30-$50 a roll.

If we want Kodachrome to come out like Kodachrome does and not like "Almost-Chrome" then this will need a LOT more backing and grass roots effort than just the K-Lab and some beakers.
I'm sure that those could well be realistic numbers. The cost per roll might be acceptable, I'd certainly think about that for my last three or four frozen rolls.
But, sadly, I can't see where any such grant might come from, given particularly that only a finite stock of Kodachrome film exists, all of which is now significantly out-of-date and inevitably continues to deteriorate. Any organisation considering a grant would, I believe, need a better reason than what they might see as "just processing a few obsolete films"?

Sorry to seem pessimistic.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 AM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

I agree with RichardE. Doubt that any company would be prepared to support this venture financially.

Plus what evidence is there that this roll of Kodachrome was actually processed?

Are there images of the results?

All we have is someone’s word that they have done it unless anyone else can substantiate the claims.

BTW the price quoted of processing a roll of Kodachrome maybe break even for the guy but it is breaking one’s bank balance for everyone else!

I am just glad I don’t have a stash of obsolete film cluttering up my freezer!

Chris
Old 09-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sweetman View Post
I agree with RichardE. Doubt that any company would be prepared to support this venture financially.

Plus what evidence is there that this roll of Kodachrome was actually processed?

Are there images of the results?

All we have is someoneís word that they have done it unless anyone else can substantiate the claims.

BTW the price quoted of processing a roll of Kodachrome maybe break even for the guy but it is breaking oneís bank balance for everyone else!

I am just glad I donít have a stash of obsolete film cluttering up my freezer!

Chris
There were examples on one of the threads on the APUG forum of the test shots from the Kodachrome processed by Steven Frizza (the guy in Australia). They looked good but, IIRC, he indicated that his process was not the "official" K-14, and that he could make no predictions of the archival qualities of the results.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
There were examples on one of the threads on the APUG forum of the test shots from the Kodachrome processed by Steven Frizza (the guy in Australia). They looked good but, IIRC, he indicated that his process was not the "official" K-14, and that he could make no predictions of the archival qualities of the results.
And that fact, RichardE, is precisely the sticking point: Why would one risk one's work to a process that may - or may not - prove to be archival ? It's one thing to be able to produce ersatz K14, but what happens if the effort ends up with the same degree of longevity as E4, etc?

I held onto my stash of Kodachrome for 2 1/2 years before giving it away to an individual on APUG who is going to experiment with black and white chemistry/cross-processing(?); at less that $150.00 for the works, it was my gift of charity to a more adventuresome spirit. Revamping K14 was a nice idea when it lasted, but, chastened somewhat, I have moved on. To those still pursuing the effort, I offer the words of David Farragut: "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! "
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
And that fact, RichardE, is precisely the sticking point: Why would one risk one's work to a process that may - or may not - prove to be archival ? It's one thing to be able to produce ersatz K14, but what happens if the effort ends up with the same degree of longevity as E4, etc?
What is the degree of longevity of Rollei film? Or the other things that people are jumping to to avoid Fuji chromes? Or, for that matter, Fuji chromes themselves? And if not them, of today's color negative films? (Recall that Kodak recommended Ektar, rather than another chrome, as a Kodachrome replacement.)

One could argue that longevity is a little more complicated to evaluate in today's world of scanners.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
What is the degree of longevity of Rollei film? Or the other things that people are jumping to to avoid Fuji chromes? Or, for that matter, Fuji chromes themselves? And if not them, of today's color negative films? (Recall that Kodak recommended Ektar, rather than another chrome, as a Kodachrome replacement.)

One could argue that longevity is a little more complicated to evaluate in today's world of scanners.
I've posted in another thread of my box of Agfa 50RS slides from 1998 which have all turned a lovely shade of green!

"Professional film". processed by official Agfa lab and stored in correct conditions?

Yet several sets of High Speed Ektachrome (E-4) from 1976 still look fine...and E-4 doesn't have a great reputation for longevity!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Default "Finite Supply"

One of the unanswered questions in my mind is still the issue of how much Kodachrome was left unused. Given the one-time popularity of the film (think 50s/60s/70s/80s), and its ubiquity in camera/drug stores/kiosks everywhere, how many folks out there just bought film out of habit every time they picked up their processing? (i.e. "accidently" accumulating film that eventually ended up being forgotten). The amount of Kodachrome still offered up for sale on eBay is perhaps reflective. Almost three years after that black day, the supply of film offered for sale is virtually undiminished. "A lot still out there," but how much is a lot?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
One of the unanswered questions in my mind is still the issue of how much Kodachrome was left unused. Given the one-time popularity of the film (think 50s/60s/70s/80s), and its ubiquity in camera/drug stores/kiosks everywhere, how many folks out there just bought film out of habit every time they picked up their processing? (i.e. "accidently" accumulating film that eventually ended up being forgotten). The amount of Kodachrome still offered up for sale on eBay is perhaps reflective. Almost three years after that black day, the supply of film offered for sale is virtually undiminished. "A lot still out there," but how much is a lot?
Difficult to know. It may be that, as more and more people realise the ease of selling unwanted stuff on EBay, all sorts of things are being brought out of storerooms and attics and sold, when in the past might have been just left there or eventually thrown out.
I notice that quite a lot of Orwo films are regularly appearing on Ebay, some even in neat and clean bricks of 10 (colour and B&W) from what looks like old studio or shop stock from Eastern European sellers. The old East German Orwo factory closed in the early 1990's and the last of their films seem to have expiry dates around 1992, yet there still seems to be a demand from either experimenters or collectors. (And the original Orwo colour films also use processes which are now obsolete.)
Old 04-20-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Difficult to know. It may be that, as more and more people realise the ease of selling unwanted stuff on EBay, all sorts of things are being brought out of storerooms and attics and sold, when in the past might have been just left there or eventually thrown out.
I notice that quite a lot of Orwo films are regularly appearing on Ebay, some even in neat and clean bricks of 10 (colour and B&W) from what looks like old studio or shop stock from Eastern European sellers. The old East German Orwo factory closed in the early 1990's and the last of their films seem to have expiry dates around 1992, yet there still seems to be a demand from either experimenters or collectors. (And the original Orwo colour films also use processes which are now obsolete.)
What is truly astonishing, RichardE, is not only the amount of film that is showing up on ebay, but the prices being asked! Further, some of the sellers are either unaware that processing is no longer available, or neglecting to mention that vital piece of information. Nostalgia or was P.T. Barnum correct?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Its been a while since ive posted here, but its good to see that people are still posting, i dont know if Kelvin Kittle will do anything with his K-lab or not, but only time will tell, perhaps something may come out of it down the track if a demand for it ever arises?
IDK, but im just glad to have had the opportunity to shoot E6, i love it and i hope we will still see some E6 films around for some time, the new ferrania chrome film looks rather promising.