kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Lab Tips & Quality Control

Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 AM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

snip...IDK, but im just glad to have had the opportunity to shoot E6, i love it and i hope we will still see some E6 films around for some time, the new ferrania chrome film looks rather promising.[/quote]

While Kodachrome was unique - and, in my mind, irreplaceable - I, too, admit to enjoy shooting E100G/VS. Both are astonishingly good films and I have no regrets about purchasing such a huge lot of the stuff. While "VS" can be replaced by Velvia (most would argue the latter to be superior to the former), "G," with Astia no longer available, is more of a problem; Provia, while an excellent film, does not quite measure up, in my view. Like you, NZ, I am interested to see what the folks at Ferrania bring forth.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4myF2AS View Post
snip...IDK, but im just glad to have had the opportunity to shoot E6, i love it and i hope we will still see some E6 films around for some time, the new ferrania chrome film looks rather promising.
While Kodachrome was unique - and, in my mind, irreplaceable - I, too, admit to enjoy shooting E100G/VS. Both are astonishingly good films and I have no regrets about purchasing such a huge lot of the stuff. While "VS" can be replaced by Velvia (most would argue the latter to be superior to the former), "G," with Astia no longer available, is more of a problem; Provia, while an excellent film, does not quite measure up, in my view. Like you, NZ, I am interested to see what the folks at Ferrania bring forth.[/quote]

I recently shot my first roll of E100G. I thought for sure I'd like 100VS better than G, so I bought 3 or 4 bricks of it and only 1 brick of G. Now I wish I'd done the opposite. I wonder if adding a slight cooling filter would bring VS more in line with G or if that's just wishful thinking? The blues of the sky in G are simply amazing.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM

sdkodachrome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
I recently shot my first roll of E100G. I thought for sure I'd like 100VS better than G, so I bought 3 or 4 bricks of it and only 1 brick of G. Now I wish I'd done the opposite. I wonder if adding a slight cooling filter would bring VS more in line with G or if that's just wishful thinking? The blues of the sky in G are simply amazing.
But speaking of blues, I find VS to add blue to underexposed shadows a la Kodachrome, much more than G seems to.

In other words, exposure is perhaps more critical to how colors come out with VS than with G. G has the most latitude I've seen in slide film, which can be both good and bad: I often enough find I need to increase contrast on scans from G on some types of scenes, because the latitude doesn't give the look of "slide film" in some cases to me without a bit of contrast boost. I never had this "problem" with Kodachrome 64; with it, I more often had the opposite problem of too much contrast, which was a lot harder to compensate for after scanning than too little contrast is.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkodachrome View Post
But speaking of blues, I find VS to add blue to underexposed shadows a la Kodachrome, much more than G seems to.

In other words, exposure is perhaps more critical to how colors come out with VS than with G. G has the most latitude I've seen in slide film, which can be both good and bad: I often enough find I need to increase contrast on scans from G on some types of scenes, because the latitude doesn't give the look of "slide film" in some cases to me without a bit of contrast boost. I never had this "problem" with Kodachrome 64; with it, I more often had the opposite problem of too much contrast, which was a lot harder to compensate for after scanning than too little contrast is.
Last weekend I shot some Ektar 100 at the beach and the blues were *almost* like that of 100G but not quite. The Ektar seems a little "calmer" than E100VS but not as calm as E100G. The E100G just seems *right.*

As much as I don't want to do it, I'm afraid I may have to start using digital more than film. Between EK out of E6 and E6 chemistry, rumors of EK product price increases, Fuji's price increases (and my dislike of their color films outside of the now discontinued 400X), and the cost of quality E6/C41 processing... I just don't know how long analog (outside of B&W, which will always be a niche market) will be able to hang on.

I've found some good software which will allow me to simulate the color palette and grain pattern of several different types of films... it reaches the "good enough" standard. But when "good enough" isn't good enough, I will judiciously bring out a roll of Ektachrome from my frozen stash.

Incidentally, if anyone happens to like E100VS better than E100G, I'd be willing to trade a brick for a brick if yours has been frozen like mine.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_KR64 View Post
I don't think that there is anyway to do this other than a combination of getting a grant of say, $50,000-$150,000 for chemistry manufacture and then charging people around $30-$50 a roll.

If we want Kodachrome to come out like Kodachrome does and not like "Almost-Chrome" then this will need a LOT more backing and grass roots effort than just the K-Lab and some beakers.
You know, I've been reading on APUG about the Kickstarter campaign regarding the New 55 project, basically reproducing a film that will fit and work in the old Polaroid 545 (?) holders. That got me wondering if a Kickstarter project would work for this K-lab? They were able to raise app. 450K (IIRC) to get their project off the ground... and I would like to think (hope) there is at least as much interest in a way to process the remaining Kodachrome...

My apologies if this has been suggested before and I simply missed it.

John
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 PM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
You know, I've been reading on APUG about the Kickstarter campaign regarding the New 55 project, basically reproducing a film that will fit and work in the old Polaroid 545 (?) holders. That got me wondering if a Kickstarter project would work for this K-lab? They were able to raise app. 450K (IIRC) to get their project off the ground... and I would like to think (hope) there is at least as much interest in a way to process the remaining Kodachrome...

My apologies if this has been suggested before and I simply missed it.

John
I think a kickstarter or some other source of crowdfunding could be useful. Has anyone been in contact with ilittlegraphy lately?

Its quite possible that Film Ferrania in Italy may be able to help produce the chemicals needed to process K-14 too.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Given Dan B's guesstimate of the cost of "K14 chemistry," the crowd-sourcing/kick-starting approach may well have merit. Perhaps, NZ, this is something that should/could be floated on APUG (expect the usual backlash, however) as well as on the Kodachrome Wiki. It remains a matter of curiosity that we haven't heard a peep from Kittlegraphy re the K-Lab. Perhaps he is waiting for some movement on the chemistry issue?

Last edited by KR4myF2AS; 08-02-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:46 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

But would such a project include the manufacture of fresh supplies of film? Not being negative, but there seems much less Kodachrome available now on Ebay, and remaining supplies are finite and inevitably continuing to deteriorate.

I also had the impression that Kittlegraphy's lab would need a lot of skilled work to get it working (wasn't it recovered from a junk yard, or was that a different one?).

As regards Ferrania, I think most people will be delighted if their project produces a reasonable E6 product, since we are otherwise now down to a single manufacturer of transparency film of any kind.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:26 AM

Fresh film, of course, is an open question. Is it even feasible? Re: Diminished Offerings on ebay: Perhaps some are hoarding in anticipation of future value as a collectable? Mad scientists experimenting (colour? black and white?) Perhaps the diminished activity reflects diminished interest?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:49 PM

*Sigh* Are there any of us still holding out hope?