kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 AM

John MacLean Photography is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychrome View Post
Hi John

Thanks so much for all your work in scanning and posting up your results and in such a clear manner. I, and I am sure many others, really appreciate it.

Looking at your first three sets of images is really interesting. I agree that it looks like the Silverfast IT8 calibration gives better results than the Kodak IT8. Although it is a little hard to tell from the low res images that we are limited to.
Quote:
If I compare "2SF_IT8_no_Auto_no_ME_500x750.jpg" back to the no IT8 no Auto scan "2no_IT8_no_Auto_no_ME_500x750.jpg" then I am just seeing the effect of the SF IT8 calibration? It definetely gives an improvement but is not the full story - it seems that Image Auto and what that does to color casts is also important in terms of getting a good scan and almost has to be a default setting. There is still a color cast with the SF IT8 setup (no_auto) it just is a bit less pronounced and possibly a bit more blue/green and less magenta than with no IT8?
Yes to both questions.

Quote:
So that begs the question - if I want to see whether IT8 is giving an overall important improvement in terms of removing color cast: I need to assume that Image Auto (ie yes_Auto) must be a default requirement and then I can compare
(a) the 2no_IT8_yes_auto image to
(b) the 2SF_IT8_yes_auto image
Its hard for me to compare, and I believe there is an improvement with SF IT8, but it is not as large as what I was expecting. The two look moderately close.
The Image Auto works in ideal conditions, but like any auto setting, there's times when it should be overridden, and to do that I'll click the Histogram looking icon to its right and go in and edit the R-G-B "levels" sliders to my liking. It might be a tone correction or tone and color. But you are correct in that there's not leaps and bounds differences here. However, I'm just showing you the current software. I feel that the combination of the new software with the new IT8 slide is doing much better than before. If I can figure out an easy way to swap SF versions, I'll scan the rainbow again.

Quote:
With the scenic shot taken with the Nikkor I agree the colors look better with SF IT8. Are you saying that if you apply Image Auto to this shot that it looks a bit overcooked in which case you cant always apply Image Auto to every image and hence that is where the value of IT8 calibration comes into its own?
It certainly doesn't hurt and in this case I'd just do the tonal adjustments in Lightroom 3. Sometimes it's easier and better to not do the adjustments in SF, because when you bring it in to LR it can be harder to remedy.

Does what I said make sense?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 AM

andychrome is on a distinguished road

Hi John

Yep makes sense. Thanks for sharing your workflow. Sounds like the IT8 calibration gives an improvement but is not the full story.

Up to this date I have been using Nikon Scan for scanning Kodachromes which doesnt have the same functionality as Silverfast in terms of the Silverfast Auto setting and the color cast removal tool. So your results have shown me that I at least need to get Silverfast to get an improvement over Nikon scan via auto/color cast etc let alone the improvement which can then be gained with IT8 calibration.

I have just been trying out a demo version of Silverfast in the last few days and in some cases have been getting an improvement (the trial version doesnt allow IT8 cal). In other cases I think that Nikon Scan actually gives me better results. Ironically in one case using the ROC (restore old colors) worked great even though the slide wasnt faded!

So back to Kevin's original point that he found - that for some slides Nikon Scan works best while for other slides Silverfast works best (and in his case also Vuescan) and then for some slides further Lightroom adjustments are then needed. Makes it hard for an efficient workflow. But the results are what matters.

By the way can anyone with Silverfast answer the following for me. With Nikon Scan i often use Analog Gain with scanning Kchromes - it is a way of effectively increasing the exposure/lamp brightness. Is there a similar tool with Silverfast? I notice that there is a Lamp Brightness icon but it seems to be just a turn off/auto type button. Is there a slider somewhere? Thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM

kevinkar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychrome View Post
By the way can anyone with Silverfast answer the following for me. With Nikon Scan i often use Analog Gain with scanning Kchromes - it is a way of effectively increasing the exposure/lamp brightness. Is there a similar tool with Silverfast? I notice that there is a Lamp Brightness icon but it seems to be just a turn off/auto type button. Is there a slider somewhere? Thanks
Yes, there should be the Lamp Brightness controls for Nikon scanners in the main dialog (General tab) and click the Options button at the bottom, then the Special tab, and then the Lightness button. You should be able to control the overall brightness of the LEDs or each of the R, G, or B LEDs individually using the sliders.

It will show you the changes in real time on the preview and will look a lot like a general brightness control but actually changes the brightness of the LEDs so make sure you set it back to default when done so you don't accidentally modify ALL subsequent scans.

If the sliders don't show up, maybe that's another limitation in the demo version. I'm pretty sure the 5000 supports lamp brightness controls.

I just found this on the LaserSoft site: http://www.silverfast.com/showmovie/...line&hide=desc. It's a movie showing this feature. Note it's using version 6.0 and should still be included in 6.4.

Last edited by kevinkar; 03-25-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM

andychrome is on a distinguished road

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the answer. I found the Lamp Brightness controls exactly as you described in the Special Tab and the Lightness button.

I had one image taken on Kodachrome 200 that was a bit dark on the base scan with auto lamp brightness. So I then increased the overall brightness of the LEDs up to say around 12 or 15 and immediately in the preview window I saw the increase in overall brightness. Thats great I thought exactly as per Nikon Scan.

So then I click OK on the Lightness Tab and then Special Tab to keep the changes and the scanner automatically does another pre-scan pass but then it seems to come back with a pre-scan/preview which is exactly the same as before I bumped up the LED brightness - that is, dark.

Then when I do the actual scan it is the same as the original base scan - no difference at all. When I then go back and check "Options" "Special" "Lightness" etc the overall LED brightness is still shown at 15 - the number i had set it at. It just seems that it shifts all the histograms and now the new 'base' lamp setting of 15 has the same exposure/brightness as with the original setup.

Any ideas? Is there something else I need to check on or off ? I thought maybe it was the "set automatic exposure (lamp brightness)" button so I tried to turn that off but it made no difference.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM

kevinkar is on a distinguished road

Without sitting in front of my scanner, I am not entirely sure but it sounds like an automatic setting is overriding the lamp brightness setting and resulting in the same dark output.

Can you revert your SilverFast to full defaults and try again? I think there's a file in the SF directory that saves your settings and you have to delete it to be sure (might have to check the manual or their website/forum for how to do this properly) or there may be a "defaults" button in the GUI.

Since the lamp brightness setting is effective in the preview and is being saved in the GUI, it must be working but being overridden.

I'll see if I can check this later at home assuming I remember!

Kevin
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

Bumped -
Old 07-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Chris Sweetman is on a distinguished road

Bumped again