kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, Scanning and Output

Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Interesting, and I can follow your reasoning.....and, I suppose, without identical calibration of monitors, that's it's difficult to convey the subtleties of color rendering.

It would also be interesting to see the different film simulations, if you have time to post them.

I could still accept your shot as a good simulation of Velvia or other Fuji, but also there are likenesses to the KII era shots. OTOH, I see some of the original Kodachromes, from the 1930-1950 period, as sometimes having rather subdued and "plummy" colors...maybe as a result of emulsion or processing variations at that time.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodakrome View Post

I think we can safely say this forum is dead.

Bye bye forum.
Whenever I look in, there always seem to be several "guests" on line, so I suppose there is still some interest in Kodachrome matters?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM

KR4myF2AS is on a distinguished road

And of note in that regard: the number of folks (fast approaching 20,000) who seem particularly interested in the K-14 processing thread...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 AM

nzoomed is on a distinguished road
Default Here is the original photo

as shot on my digital camera for you to use as a reference, yes you are right about everyone's monitor and/or computer configuration can alter the colour between each computer.

I will try and upload this simulated in other films for you to compare over the coming days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train_original.jpg (158.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:40 PM

dmr is on a distinguished road

Maybe we just don't have much to say now that Kodachrome is gone.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 AM

i really hope that someone figures a way to process the stuff, ive got about 20 rolls ive put in the freezer, that i got off an online auction.
has anyone checked out my wiki?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 AM

I've checked in on your wiki half-a-dozen times or so since its inception. Not being a technically-inclined photgrapher, I haven't been able to offer anything beyond my kudos for your taking the initiative for taking the time and effort. My reading of the situation is that a lot of folks are just sort of waiting for something to happen. An announcemnet from out of the blue from Kittlegraphy, the successful synthesis of the K14 chemistry, release of pertinent info from EK or whatever. Waiting rather than acting (Obviously, I plead guilty on the count as well); in the meanwhile the clock ticks...
Like you, I also have high hopes - however misplaced - that K14 resumption will be realized. My stash is even more sizeable than yours; I have purchased from a number of local pros, eventually accumulating some 140 rolls. Ninety of the rolls were purchased as bricks, the balance in lots of five or six rolls. While this may seem extreme, I have yet to pay more than $2.25/roll; several of the 10-roll bricks were purchased for $15.00 and $20.00. My "defense" is that, worse case scenario, I have a lot of cheap (if somewhat inconvenient to process) black and white film sitting in my deepfreeze!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Whenever I look in, there always seem to be several "guests" on line, so I suppose there is still some interest in Kodachrome matters?
Not only are "guests" frequently popping in for a visit, this forum also seems to be continuing to collect new members, albeit at a slower rate than earlier.
And, as an aside, on that site all true believers hate with a passion, Kodachrome (especially the 64 ISO variety) continues to come to market and, for the most part, when reasonably priced, continues to find buyers. So.... are there a lot of folks counting on the resumption of some kind of K-14 processing, a lot of nostalgia buffs, or...
Old 08-20-2011, 06:10 PM

competley agree with you, lost of people are buying kodachrome film off ebay with what intent you wonder?
Obviously people are buying it in the hope it can be once be processed again, but nothing will be done if people sit on their butts and do nothing, your right about theres lots of talk, but no action.
I would like to help the best way i can, but am of not much use, as there are more technically minded people out there who know far more about the film and its chemistry than i do.
The best i can do is donate to any project that does get underway to process kodachrome, which we were all hoping klittlegraphy was working on.
Would be good if the folks of APUG could contribute to the wiki in some form, that is a stepping stone in the right direction if we can get the chemistry documented, then we can work on sorting out a way to process the film.

Pity Dwaynes Photo were not looking into an alternative source of chemistry after the chemicals dried up.
They probably had the best resource's in that department, since they more than likley had experienced kodachrome trained chemists on hand to mix the chemicals etc.
They had all the valueable machinery to process the film, surley they would have had a niche market if they could have continued to process the film.
There has to be some source for dye couplers surley, their chemistry is similar to E6 couplers, so those who produce those chemicals are your best bet to reproduce K14 couplers.
If Kittlegraphy still has his k-lab, experimenting with E6 couplers would be a logical start, then work from there i guess.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM

NJ_Kodachrome is on a distinguished road

Here is some interesting info someone is trying on APUG, look at post 3002.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/6...-film-301.html