kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Kodachrome, The History and the Era

Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM

henryp is on a distinguished road
Default Kodak processing for Kodachrome

Kodak used to develop Kodachrome. They had a place in Paramus, NJ. A couple of decades ago they sold the whole Kodachrome processing program to another company. I recall distinctly the hue and cry among pros and avid amateurs about this.

Does anyone recall when this happened and the name of the company? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 AM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Would it have been "Qualex"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualex

There were postings last year, in the APUG Group's various long threads about Kodachrome, concerning the poor quality of Qualex processing affecting sales of Kodachrome....I recall also that, in the UK, the official Kodak processing went through a bad period for QC around the 1980's, and that this was one of the factors which caused many keen amateurs to try other makes of film.

Last edited by RichardE; 10-04-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

And the demon child borne from the unholy congress of Kodak and Qualux was known as Kodalux. When I worked at a local lab, we dealt with Kodalux on a regular basis. The local rep was great, but often it seemed he knew he was on a sinking ship. I'd have to agree that was one of the larger nails in the Kodachrome coffin.

I think "Qualux" was a contraction for "Quality sux."
Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 PM

dmr is on a distinguished road

The Kodak (Kodachrome) processing I remember was in Fair Lawn (also Bergen Co., IIRC), NJ.

When I started getting into photography, Kodak had unbundled the Kodachrome film from the processing and was tolerating independent labs processing the film.

I remember two options for Kodachrome processing in the early 70s:

1. Kodak, the Fair Lawn facility. This was the gold standard, and what I always used for my Kodachrome of the day except for a few isolated cases. I also sent most of my Kodacolor and Ektachrome to this lab (usually via Spiratone) as they did the most consistent job with it. Their slides always came back Kodachrome (or Ektachrome, if appropriate) branded.

2. Berkey. They had the lion's share of the drug store photo processing at the time. I really don't know where their main lab was. Their slides always came back in very generic mounts "Color Transparency" imprinted. I always had the impression that the Kodachrome slides done by Berkey were slightly darker than those done by Kodak. Berkey seemed to do anywhere between a good job and a totally nasty job on Kodacolor, depending on the phase of the moon, which was why I seldom used them.

In semi-recent years I've had reasonably good luck with Qualex for C41 processing, when I've used them.

Oh well ...

Last edited by dmr; 10-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM

3Dhillary is on a distinguished road

My direct experiences with these labs was in the late 1980s until they closed, well beyond their halcyon days.

Most of our Kodalux work was done at the Rockville, MD. facility, but I'm sure all the Kodachrome went to Fair Lawn. Though I've heard some dire stories of diminishing quality of Kodachrome processing there, I recall maybe just one roll which was less than satisfactory.

Rockville was very hit and miss, and as things went on, it was more miss than hit.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 AM

henryp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
The Kodak (Kodachrome) processing I remember was in Fair Lawn (also Bergen Co., IIRC), NJ.
Right you are. Shows how my memory works. ;-)
Thanks for the Kodalux/Qualux reminders too. Much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM

pharmboycu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp View Post
Right you are. Shows how my memory works. ;-)
Thanks for the Kodalux/Qualux reminders too. Much appreciated.
First, please allow me a little latitude to say welcome to Henry. I doubt I've dealt with you at B&H, but you guys are awesome and are my go-to place for all of my film needs. Thank you!

Back to the topic at hand... I remember many years ago in my hometown we had a little photo hut called Kis Photo. They operated out of a little hut that used to be a NCNB banking branch. I very vividly remember the yellow "Kodachrome Lab" banner that hung at the drive-through window there. I had no idea what Kodachrome was at the time, but I remember that sign. It's sad to think that the machine they used is long gone as is the film.

Kittlegraphy, where are you man? We need ya!

John