kodachromeproject.com Forums  

Go Back   kodachromeproject.com Forums > Main Category > Kodachrome, The Film

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 AM

Brian Kim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarchaea View Post
[snip] I can't speak for others, but when I run out of KR, I'll be moving to Fujichrome products rather than the Ektachrome line.

The other tragedy here is that the good folk at Dwayne's who have supported Kodak and K-14 for years will now have 20% of their business dry up overnight.
I like Ektachrome. I've only tried Velvia 50 and Sensia 100. Velvia was too saturated for me, and Sensia 100 was too unpredictable. And in both cases, the character of the film between shade and full sun was unpredictable. But then again, maybe I just don't shoot enough. On the other hand, my experiences with Ektachrome 100 G and GX have been favorable, and the saturation seems more reasonable. Or it just may be variations in processors or individual rolls of film.

I think Kodachrome might have survived if there were more processing plants. I think people with a 100% digital workflow have hurt many photographic markets. If more people paid for film processing and/or print processing, the market place would be different. There are many who have decided prints from images are "not worth it". Maybe we should blame the Internet.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 AM

matt8314 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_KR64 View Post
It shows that the company is trying to become more profitable and if they can do that, then they can not only keep other great films in the line up that do not need the archaic and expensive support that Kodachrome does, but continue to develop better films in the future, including one that might look like Kodachrome KM-25 but be much easier to find processing for as an E-6 stock.
Kodak won't make an E6 Kodachrome. If you read the information they have on Ektar, it is abundantly clear that Kodak fully intends to dump ALL slide film in the near future. WHen that happens, film will be out of my life for good. I just don't like C41 or ANY of Fuji's slide films.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Dan_KR64 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8314 View Post
Kodak won't make an E6 Kodachrome. If you read the information they have on Ektar, it is abundantly clear that Kodak fully intends to dump ALL slide film in the near future. WHen that happens, film will be out of my life for good. I just don't like C41 or ANY of Fuji's slide films.
But that is not what was concluded at my meeting with Kodak this time last week. We need to take a wait and see approach to what they do next.

Kodachrome images on Flicker

Photo.net galleries
Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 PM

ljsegil is on a distinguished road

From my admittedly limited experience with perhaps too few rolls, if Ektar is the future, better load the freezer while you can. IMHO, Ektar s_cks big, and has not made me want to experiment further.
LJS
Old 06-28-2009, 03:15 AM

ridax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i40west View Post
In 74 years, no one has been able to make a film that looks as good as Kodachrome, and film is a mature technology, so what would suggest that they suddenly can now?

I spent time trying and trying to make digital pictures look as good as Kodachrome before I just gave up and went back to the real thing.
Kodachrome IS irreplaceable. E6, C41/RA4, digital, ets. are just useless for duplicating it. Look at the spectral dye density curves. The K12 and K14 ones are the most close to the theoretical perfection ever made. Next are the very old K11 ones. Still next, thuogh far behind, are those of Cibachrome (aka Ilfochrome) prints. Still very much more far behind are the E6 and RA4 ones. And the least acceptable are those of the inkjet and letterpress dyes and pigments.

There is NOTHING that can be done to correct that. Any attempts to make any other picture to look like Kodachrome is just as fruitless as an attempt to build a perpettuum mobile. Or make a fresh satake out of rotten meat.

So, for me, there will be no color film nor a single digital color camera in the whole world after the end of 2010.

And the only way to shoot color will be making direct in-camera BW separations through KODAK Wratten filters ## 47, 58, and 25. And I hope KODAK TMX will still be available then...
Old 07-04-2009, 04:42 PM

katarchaea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So please, re-think your patronage of Kodak products, after all, they kept a film like Kodachrome around for 74 years and the support for it for 75 years.
Kodak is a great company and has produced many great products, however, returning to Fujichrome for me is not an emotional decision related to the discontinuation of K-14 film. I have never cared for the colour palette of Ektachrome films, nor for Kodak's C-41 films. I admittedly haven't shot Ektar though. Prior to "discovering" Kodachrome some years back, I shot the Fujichrome Provia transparency films, and Fujicolour Reala for C-41. When I run out of KR, I will most likely return to Fujichrome. I will gladly reconsider if Kodak does manage to produce a KR-esque film in E6, but until then, I won't be supporting Kodak. That said, I will be staying tuned to this forum to see what Kodak brings down the pipe and the impressions of soon to be ex-K-14 shooters!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM

kkt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
after all, they kept a film like Kodachrome around for 74 years and the support for it for 75 years.
And Kodak made good money off of it for almost all of those years. I don't think I owe them any more loyalty than they are showing me. If whatever film I find that is the most acceptable substitute for Kodachrome happens to come from Kodak, fine; if it's from another manufacturer, that's fine too.

It's reported that Dwayne's was processing a thousand rolls a day, even before the D-Day announcement. It should be possible to make money from that. Maybe if they rethought their manufacturing process with an eye to making smaller batches. If not Kodak, then someone else.

Kodak has not exactly been exerting themselves marketing Kodachrome in recent years. The nifty "how to choose a film" application on their web site didn't even acknowledge Kodachrome's existence.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM

RichardE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkt View Post
And Kodak made good money off of it for almost all of those years. I don't think I owe them any more loyalty than they are showing me. If whatever film I find that is the most acceptable substitute for Kodachrome happens to come from Kodak, fine; if it's from another manufacturer, that's fine too.
I think that I have to share that view....I've spent many $$$ with Kodak over the years because their products have suited my needs.
They've chosen to discontinued one of the products which I used for 40+ years....I now have to find a substitute, and if this comes from another manufacturer, so be it.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM

JLG is on a distinguished road
Default Saving Kodachrome Scenario

Analogue:

I've been shooting Kodachrome in a Leica IIIF for years...and am not prepared to go gently.

Is there any -- and I mean any! -- scenario whereby the Kodachrome-shooting commmunity can strike a deal, a sort of goodwill contract with Kodak to commit to purchasing "X" number of rolls per year to warrant a sufficient financial return. I, for one, would sign up immediately!

Alternatively, is there an alternative scenario whereby the community sends a siimilar commitment signal to likely buyers or license holders of either the film, process, or both?

How can I best spread these ideas/scenarios?

Thoughts/feedback?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM

uwphotoer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
Thoughts/feedback?
Count me in, it really is the only film I shoot for my art work.